Sign in to follow this  
NeilG

An Affinity Mask for an i97000x

Reading the words "realistic" and "immersive" together with the words "20 FPS" makes me want to stick my head in the oven too. 😂 But hey, to each his own.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I see the op system's is very good but I see no SSD

7200 rpm hdd will be slow with that system.  You need SSD better yet PCIE M2 x16 speeds not SATA m.2

100% bottleneck is the HDD if that is your boot drive and if Prepar3d is installed on it.

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

2 hours ago, pracines said:

I think this way because I'm an aviator first, and the appearance/immersion of my flight sim far outweighs my ability to boast about high FPS like gamers/PC gurus tend to do.

I hope you're not flying anything faster than a blimp.  🙂    .

8 hours ago, w6kd said:

I don't completely agree with that.  If you load up your main core to 100%, say by progressively moving the autogen sliders to the right, it's pretty clear that stuttering sets in when the CPU starts coming up against the 95-100% ceiling.  Same for GPU performance as it (or they) approach 100%.  Stuttering happens when frame production becomes erratic for any reason, and an overtasked CPU or GPU can definitely cause it, as well as other bottlenecks.  The bottleneck itself could be excessive processor demand, waiting on memory or bulk storage, process swapping on the virtual cores, thread locking etc.

If I had to lock a $900 10-core i9 to run at only 20 fps I'd be fighting the desire to stick my head in an oven.  😉

Regards

I think that is my problem. Looking back on it all now I realise that I was a bit more naïve than someone who has been doing this as long as I have should have been. As a retirement present to myself I spent £3500 on the most gut-busting power house that I possibly could and thought 'now I will have that 'all sliders to the right' 'blow it away' performance that I have always dreamed off. With just about everything else in my games cabinet this is true, nothing slows this baby down - but not flight sim.It is the flight simmers lot, it seems, to spend more time fiddling with the damn set-up than actually enjoying flight simulation.  I wanted to find a point where I could use all my best scenery with airliners such as the PMDG lot, but I cant have smooth performance there,, in England say - taking off from Gatwick let alone Heathrow -without everything on normal and autogen on sparse. That way I get into the 30's but even then over, say, London there are stutters. As for every one commenting that they don't have HT - yeah, your probably right and I read that long thread that tRob did on the i9, I just wont be entirely satisfied unless I try it for myself because we have all learnt how different set ups work differently according to individuals computers etc.

tahnks foro the replies.

Neil 

9 hours ago, w6kd said:

If I had to lock a $900 10-core i9 to run at only 20 fps I'd be fighting the desire to stick my head in an oven.  😉

I seriously want to print this out and frame this quote

This AM stuff and all the song and dance that has gone with it here with graphs and jiggle lines,.... has surpassed ridiculous

Semper Fye!...   (correct pronunciation)

12 hours ago, GSalden said:

No AM , no HT

Rob A has a 7900x and he had the best performance/smootness without custom AM and without HT.

Myself , I have a 7940x and the same for me : no custom AM and no HT

After all the time (In years) you have diligently tested Gerard, I am glad to see you came up with the correct assessment.  bravo!

12 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Ditto - I have a 7700k and use no AM or HT - I get my best results with that setting.

Vic

You always knew this old man..  

Live Long, and Prospect!

..or prostate if you are over 75      :}

Edited by sillyflyer

I think the whole AM HT debate has run its course long ago. Other than a slight decrease in CPU temps while overclocking with HT off, no one has conclusively shown any benefit of HT to any flightsim. Off or on, it is indistinguishably irrelevant to performance.

As to AM, it makes sense to keep some add-ons like weather injectors and TrackIR contained to the highest number core (or cores with HT on), but there is no reason to assign an AM to the flightsim itself. The Win10 task scheduler seems to do an adequate job without random user intervention. And if unexplained problems arise, the diagnosis is often confounded by having an AM assigned to the flightsim EXE.

13 hours ago, Skywolf said:

I see the op system's is very good but I see no SSD

7200 rpm hdd will be slow with that system.  You need SSD better yet PCIE M2 x16 speeds not SATA m.2

100% bottleneck is the HDD if that is your boot drive and if Prepar3d is installed on it.

No, I completely disagree.  An SSD will enable faster initial loading of the sim than a platter drive, but unless you are running a high-resolution wide-area photoscenery configuration, the lookahead buffering built into P3D (and FSX, and FS9...) makes bulk storage access and transfer speeds all but irrelevant to sim performance.  And once the sim is running, the boot drive is rarely accessed unless you're hitting the swap file (due to insufficient RAM or too many other programs running) in which case the effects would be severe and obvious.  Most systems with 8+ GB of system RAM never touch the swap file while the sim is running.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

no one has conclusively shown any benefit of HT to any flightsim. Off or on, it is indistinguishably irrelevant to performance.

Exactly!   Shut HT down, if you overclock, take the CPU speed HT enabled WONT allow due to heat

...and please,.. use a 3rd party application (if that is what you need to do) to assign outside apps to lower number cores!

There are no less than 2000 posts associated with AFFINITY MASK, and I would venture to say at least 150 threads that include 100-200 individual posts that suggest: "I AM AN EXPERT, HERE IS THE GRAPH"...................................... nonsense

Purchase the K  "KAY" CPU. Even if you shut HT off in the BIOS you have a larger cache available with a piece of silicone that is designed to run BETTER, STRONGER, FASTER

M*A*S*H  -   THAT IS ALL

I would suggest everyone here, listen to jabloomf.. and Mr. Scott

I can vouch for Mr. Scott.. he knows what he is talking about

Everybody loves Scotty!

...  it's just fun guys

but don't buy into this Affinity Mask nonsense  ..  

Edited by sillyflyer
typos

14 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

I hope you're not flying anything faster than a blimp.  🙂    .

Interesting concept; "Pudgy" the PMDG blimp. 🤣