Sign in to follow this  
pete_auau

Hi decided to upgrade my pc

Decided  to  make  the  move  from  fsx   to  p3d  etc   and  since  my  pc  is  about  7  years  old    decide  to  look  around   was  wondering  if  this  set up  good  enough  or   needs  adjusting

CPU

Intel Core i7 8700K

CPU Cooler

Fractal Design Celsius S24 Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming Motherboard

Memory

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3000MHz (2x8GB) DDR4

Graphics

ZOTAC AMP! Edition GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

SSD

Intel 600P M.2 512GB SSD

HDD

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD

Case

Fractal Design Meshify C Black ATX Case

Power Supply

EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W ATX Power Supply

Software

Microsoft Windows 10 Home USB

Fan

Thermaltake Riing 12 High Static Pressure Green LED Radiator Fan, 3-Pk

System Warranty

Scorptec System 2 year Return to Base, Parts & Labour Warranty

Any  suggestion most welcome

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Intel's 10nm got delayed to 2019. I doubt the OP wants to wait that long.

I'd change the 2T to 4T HDD and I also prefer ASRock MBs but all else seems fine. Also, just double check dimensions of everything to ensure it will all fit and clear nicely within that case once assembled.

you have top shelf stuff there. well, that is everything but the memory. get the 3200 c14 kit. you might thank me later.

19 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

you have top shelf stuff there. well, that is everything but the memory. get the 3200 c14 kit. you might thank me later.

Hows  does  this  one  look

G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4

to the rest of  the posters  thx  for  your  advice  and  comments

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

1 hour ago, pete_auau said:

Hows  does  this  one  look

G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4

to the rest of  the posters  thx  for  your  advice  and  comments

No. You want the 3200 C14. 

3200 C14 will use the superior Samsung B-DIE memory chips .....I'll see if I can find a meaningful source link to help you understand why you want the Cadillac of memory ICs.  .Just remember all  3200 c14 will use the b-die, any kit with a slower cas latency are probably not B-die .  If you can't find 3200 C14, the 3600 C16 kits will also be the B-DIE.

I'm running my 3200 C14 memory at 4133 C17, that would not be possible on any ICs other than the Samsung B-DIE.

Edited by FunknNasty

Would using these chips give better clock speeds on CPU...   For instance , if I was getting 5.2ghz on 8700k, would using these Ram chips give me 5.3ghz or more.....

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

16 minutes ago, aerostar said:

Would using these chips give better clock speeds on CPU...   For instance , if I was getting 5.2ghz on 8700k, would using these Ram chips give me 5.3ghz or more.....

No, it's just faster RAM. Wont affect CPU speeds. 

Edited by martin-w

1 hour ago, aerostar said:

Well, the short answer is what Martin said. But could memory be A reason that keeps you stuck at 5.2? Yes. Yes it can.

But look, going for 5.3 from 5.2 is asking a lot and will most likely require you to consider many things not just the memory, but also the cpu and motherboard.

thx   for  all your  advice  and  have  made the  adjustments,   but  have  one  more  about  windows  10  in which version  to get,  have  read  on this  forum  some  where  but  cant  find  it  which is usually the  case is  which  you  can  set  to  not  to update unless  you  want  it  to, unless  this  isnt   a issue  no  more?

Peter kelberg

2 hours ago, pete_auau said:

have  read  on this  forum  some  where  but  cant  find  it  which is usually the  case is  which  you  can  set  to  not  to update unless  you  want  it  to, unless  this  isnt   a issue  no  more?

It's possible to completely turn off updates, but not easy (and it often resets itself anyway). If you have the Pro version, you can delay updates but they will still happen eventually. That said, the vast majority of Windows 10 users (me included) keep their installations updated without problems. Your new system will have a clean installation of Windows 10 (rather than an upgrade from an earlier version) so will be much less prone to problems anyway. If you're ever going to connect your new PC to the Internet then I would highly recommend keeping at least the security updates enabled but turn off driver updates (which are often the cause of problems) - see: https://pureinfotech.com/exclude-driver-updates-windows-10/. I find it's much better to manually update your drivers, if you need to, from the component manufacturers' site - just make sure you have Windows 10-compatible drivers for all of your hardware. You should also review some of the privacy settings to prevent Windows "phoning home" periodically: https://www.zdnet.com/article/take-control-of-your-privacy-in-windows-10/ - O&O Shutup software (free) is also very effective for automating this.

Windows 10 gets a lot of criticism from dedicated Windows 7 users but I think that it's the best version of Windows so far.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

thx  for  that  well explained,

Peter kelberg

On 7/11/2018 at 5:47 PM, FunknNasty said:

Well, the short answer is what Martin said. But could memory be A reason that keeps you stuck at 5.2? Yes. Yes it can.

But look, going for 5.3 from 5.2 is asking a lot and will most likely require you to consider many things not just the memory, but also the cpu and motherboard.

Its the other way around though. Faster ram won't allow higher CPU overclock, which was the question he asked. However, dependant on the mem controller and other factors, pushing RAM frequency too high can limit max CPU overclock.

Conversely, pushing CPU overclocking too high can limit max RAM frequency. 

On 7/11/2018 at 8:09 AM, aerostar said:

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Its the other way around though. Faster ram won't allow higher CPU overclock, which was the question he asked. However, dependant on the mem controller and other factors, pushing RAM frequency too high can limit max CPU overclock.

Conversely, pushing CPU overclocking too high can limit max RAM frequency. 

Martin: Well....I think he asked if "using these chips". would help with CPU speed.

In a nut shell, I agreed with your original replay, but I also wanted to imply that bad or poorly timed memory could affect his overclock performance.