Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Baker

UTOPIA Take Off Calculator for QW 787

Hi all,

Between rectifying some early user-error issues and navigating the number of small bugs, I've really started to enjoy the Qualitywings 787.

Now the only "issue" I've yet to resolve is the lack of available performance take off/derate data.  I just find it too unrealistic (for my taste) to take off with full thrust with a light load (eg; ACA739 CYYZ - KSFO) and experience a "rocket-launch" climb-out.  I've been using QSim for the 787-8 but haven't touched the 787-9 because of the lack of resources available.  The only other option I know of is the TOPER 787 - but it only has 787-8 flaps 15, which QSim already provides.

Recently I was reminded of this program, which allows you to create your own profiles:

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=utopia+take+off+calculator&CatID=root&Go=Search

I tried unsuccessfully in the past to create my own profile from scratch, and the "auto" features in the program only interface with FS9, I believe.

Just wondering if anyone would have a thought on how I might be able to employ this to create profiles for the 787-8, -9 and/ or -10 models.

Appreciate the input,

Daniel

I’m in the process of making 787-8 and -9 profiles.

I’ve also made a few minor improvements to the program as well so will probably release an update at the same time.

However, it’s not a high priority for me at the moment so I wouldn’t like to promise anything. Having said that, if there’s interest I’ll see if I can spend a bit more time on it.

The auto features use FSUIPC so anything that uses that should work.

ATB,

Ian

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I started working on a utopia profile for the -8 but stopped working on it because I have put this plane on the shelf as I think it's too buggy.

For now I interpolated a lot of values because I didnt have time to try every altitude/flap value/derate setting.

5 hours ago, iwebber said:

I’ve also made a few minor improvements to the program as well so will probably release an update at the same time.

However, it’s not a high priority for me at the moment so I wouldn’t like to promise anything. Having said that, if there’s interest I’ll see if I can spend a bit more time on it.

ATB,

Ian

Count me interested!

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

9 hours ago, iwebber said:

ATB,

Ian

That's fantastic news - thanks so much for the update.

Will the profiles require the newest version of Utopia?  If not, would it be possible to get them from you some how - or are they posted somewhere?

And thanks so much for your hard work, BTW - I've been using Utopia for years very happily!

Cheers,

Daniel

19 hours ago, Daniel Baker said:

Will the profiles require the newest version of Utopia?

Probably not but I've not tested new profiles in the old version, I'll have a look.

Don't get too excited just yet, I've only just started the 787 profiles and I've been making numerous tiny little mods on the program for a while now, I need to rationalise it all and make sure it's not doing something silly, that'll take time.

I'll try and prioritise it a bit more but with a 7 month old baby and a 5 year old about to start his first summer holiday while working a full long haul roster means I've little time at home and I'm pretty sure my wife would string me up if I came home and said "I know you've just spent four days with a screaming baby and a hyperactive child but would you mind if I spent a few hours on the computer... try and keep the kids quiet eh? there's a good girl!" I'm no expert on women but suspect that would end badly for all of us, particularly me. 😁

3 hours ago, iwebber said:

I'll try and prioritise it a bit more but with a 7 month old baby and a 5 year old about to start his first summer holiday while working a full long haul roster means I've little time at home and I'm pretty sure my wife would string me up if I came home and said "I know you've just spent four days with a screaming baby and a hyperactive child but would you mind if I spent a few hours on the computer... try and keep the kids quiet eh? there's a good girl!" I'm no expert on women but suspect that would end badly for all of us, particularly me. 😁

LOL - good call.  Family, first and foremost, absolutely!!  

Hey, whatever you can do - on whatever timeline - is absolutely fair and very generous.  I'd love to be in the loop when you get something available, if that's at all possible.

Also - I may take another crack at creating a profile.  Who knows, I might just get good at it?

Thanks,

Daniel

Have just uploaded UTOPIA v1.3, now includes QW788 and 789 profiles plus a host of other tweaks.

Enjoy...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Does the upload take a while to show in the library? I'm not seeing anything there.

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Just have to say that I was lucky enough to do a bit of testing on this update and it is stellar! 

Great job by Ian to provide this amazing tool!  Thanks for the dedication to our hobby and your generosity in providing it for free.

Cheers, 

Daniel. 

On 9/30/2018 at 10:37 AM, iwebber said:

Have just uploaded UTOPIA v1.3, now includes QW788 and 789 profiles plus a host of other tweaks.

Enjoy...

Really well done, thank you!

Eric