Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Airline assumed temperature v derated thrust takeoff usage

1 hour ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Many thanks for your thoughts so far.

I have a feeling that BA used not to use any form of thrust reduction on their original B747s, but I have no evidence for this. Currently, I do not use any thrust reduction either, but I would like to know what are current practices amongst the main widebody airlines if anyone has knowledge.

If you are any where below 320tons on the 773ER, I would recommend using de rate of any form. 

The use of De rate in normal circumstance makes your rotation and pitch attitude after airborne fairly consistance for lighter weights. 

It is almost “dangerous” to fly a 773ER at 200-250tons with full TOGA thrust with a low initial level off altitude of 3000 to 5000ft, because you will be doing 18+ deg pitch up after airborne and climbing at 3500-4000fpm. And you will see ALT capture at 1000ft. (It’s good fun if you have the airspace to yourself until at least 7000-8000ft). 

I used to regularly fly the 773ER at regional weight so we always use DTO2-30c or something like that.

the interesting thing I have noticed is that DTO2 -56c has less thrust than CLB2. I did a ferry flight once with an empty airplane at 185tons including around 10tons of fuel. We zoomed up at 3500fpm after airborne even with DTO-56c and when clb 2 is set we actually climbed faster. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Driverab330 said:

the interesting thing I have noticed is that DTO2 -56c has less thrust than CLB2. I did a ferry flight once with an empty airplane at 185tons including around 10tons of fuel. We zoomed up at 3500fpm after airborne even with DTO-56c and when clb 2 is set we actually climbed faster

Wow

Dan Downs KCRP