Sign in to follow this  
Pierre Thouan

Sound popping / crackling

Hello everyone ! 

I hope someone could help me on this one. 
Since the beginning I use P3D, I noticed that every like 6 or 7sec, a crackling noise is audible from the game. I first thought it was due to my Headset, a VOID PRO wireless Corsair, but not. I made some test and use other headset, and I could hear that sound even when playing with my monitor, it's just more quiet.
So I try a fresh install, migrated the game on my SSD, and nothing change. It's more likely to be heard on certain aircraft, but it's almost everytime. It could be happening at the beginning of the flight, or when operating the aircraft (flaps, gear) or when performing touchdown. 
It's very annoying and I'm about to go back on X-Plane 11, despite I really love P3D.

I use Reshade, PTA, ASky, REX pro, Chaseplane, TrackIr 5. I play full screen (I mean, sort of).

I have a GTX1080TI, 24GB RAM, SSD512Go, a nice watercooling and a 3440x1440 monitor with Displayport.
I already have the latest driver and already deleted and reinstalled them twice.

If someone can help me on this one, I would be very pleased. 

Greetings, 
Pierre

NB : Forgive my mistake, I'm a Frenchi.

59 minutes ago, Pierre Thouan said:

Hello everyone ! 

I hope someone could help me on this one. 
Since the beginning I use P3D, I noticed that every like 6 or 7sec, a crackling noise is audible from the game. I first thought it was due to my Headset, a VOID PRO wireless Corsair, but not. I made some test and use other headset, and I could hear that sound even when playing with my monitor, it's just more quiet.
So I try a fresh install, migrated the game on my SSD, and nothing change. It's more likely to be heard on certain aircraft, but it's almost everytime. It could be happening at the beginning of the flight, or when operating the aircraft (flaps, gear) or when performing touchdown. 
It's very annoying and I'm about to go back on X-Plane 11, despite I really love P3D.

I use Reshade, PTA, ASky, REX pro, Chaseplane, TrackIr 5. I play full screen (I mean, sort of).

I have a GTX1080TI, 24GB RAM, SSD512Go, a nice watercooling and a 3440x1440 monitor with Displayport.
I already have the latest driver and already deleted and reinstalled them twice.

If someone can help me on this one, I would be very pleased. 

Greetings, 
Pierre

NB : Forgive my mistake, I'm a Frenchi.

Hi Pierre

Are you using shielded or unshielded USB cables?  Unshielded can give off interference to wireless headphones if the headphones are not bluetooth.

Jay

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

https://www.google.de/search?q=sound+crackling+popping

Long story short: it's a problem of the games engine related to CPU usage and latency. I switched sound cards, headset - nothing changed. I am now on a Fiio E10 DAC and a Beyerdynamics Headset and I still have problems in P3D and in one or two other games. Just read through the topics in google and you will understand the problem itself.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3551007/audio-crackling-popping-gaming.html

What sample rate is your audio device set to?

• Like 1

Don't know if this helps at all, but some years ago I had a similar problem with a new PC (I run FSX by the way).  It was found that the Motherboard required updating.  The people who built the PC did this, and all was then O.K.

This is not an area I would dabble with, but you might like to look into this aspect.

Two things to try:

- Are you running a cache driver ("rapid mode", "momentum cache", etc.) on your SSD? Try enabling or disabling that - it can have an effect on audio latency on some chipsets

- Try changing the sample rate of you audio device; disable Dolby Atmos if it is enabled

I have had a similar issue to you twice and I am not sure this will help you as you mentioned you have already carried out a fresh install, but I fix the issue by uninstalling and then reinstalling the P3D client.

Cheers

Marcus H

I've noticed this too.  I thought it was my speakers but after some tests, it is limited to P3D.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

Hi everyone, thanks for the answer. 

I can't change the audio rate but it's 16000Hz, DVD quality.
I will try to update Motherboard drivers, hope it could fix it.

I mean it's really annoying and it degrade the feeling to fly sadly.
I'll give a try to made a proper and clean install one more time. Test it without any add ons and so.

Thanks for everything, will keep you in touch, 

Greetings, 
Pierre.

I had this problem before, and it was related to Active sky and Norton internet security. Basically Norton was inter fearing with Active sky causing latency on the system and causing sound popping. If i ran the sim without active sky the sound popping wouldn't be present. Worth a shot.

• Upvote 1

So I am still getting this problem with the static of the sound if the P3D window is still up, has there been a solution to this problem because it is causing FPS lose when flying  

Thanks,

Rawad Alhawari

After much chasing my tail, I found that the problem related to Windows 10 itself. Particularly to the speaker drivers. I had Realtek installed. I removed Realtek entirely and installed the latest Windows drivers.(by removing the speakers from Device manager and letting Windows sort itself out.)

That fixed it, been perfect ever since.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.