Sign in to follow this  
signmanbob

If Money Was Not An Issue...

19 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Not if you want to run texture_size_exp=10.  2070 and 2080 are only 8GB cards

Agree, but the question was "best bang for the buck" ... with that comes compromises (i.e. no TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10).

The 2080 and the 2080Ti support SLI with NVLink (2070 does not) and it's my understanding that VRAM memory could be shared without the required of specific DX12 coding ... BUT I don't see how 50GB/sec NVLink speed (duplex) is going to be enough relative to single GPU speeds of 448GB/sec ... certainly MUCH faster than the old SLI method but not sure it's going to be fast enough?  I'll find out fact from fiction on or around Oct 1st.

1 hour ago, BimmerCop said:

What's a nice case for this system?

Efrain, you're ageless!  😉

I've enjoyed my Thermaltake Core X9 ... I did look into Case Labs Mercury S8 but it was "bay" overkill and just didn't have the layout I wanted for dual loop water cooling.  Keep in mind I'm a strong believer in horizontal mounted motherboards.

Cheers, Rob.

What is an optimal amount of system ram for P3D V4.x and/or XP11.x?   I'm looking at a GPU w/ 8-11Gb of GDDR and also wanted to know if one of the new Turing RTX GPUs will be a better match for P3D V4.x/XP11.x over 1080 Ti if anyone has some thoughts on that.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Efrain, you're ageless!  😉

Just trying to be like you, @Rob Ainscough! LOL

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I've enjoyed my Thermaltake Core X9 ... I did look into Case Labs Mercury S8 but it was "bay" overkill and just didn't have the layout I wanted for dual loop water cooling.  Keep in mind I'm a strong believer in horizontal mounted motherboards.

That is a very nice looking case indeed! You prefer horizontally mounted motherboards? Now that you mention that, I have never really given it much thought! Why do you prefer them like that? I really don't want to hijack this thread, so feel free to PM me if you want. Thanks brother!

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

3 minutes ago, BimmerCop said:

Just trying to be like you

Hey my pic is only from about 23 months or so ago 🙂

Horizontal because they are easier to work with and I'd rather have gravity work for me rather than against me ... especially with Today's GPU that have some weight ... overall just less gravitational stress on the MB and components.  The X9 has plenty of room for 2 pumps, 2 reservoirs, 2 480 x 60mm radiators, flow & temp sensors, pressure release values, big 1600W PSU, 11 fans, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Cheers, Rob.

2 hours ago, Noel said:

What is an optimal amount of system ram for P3D V4.x and/or XP11.x?

16GB system RAM should be enough in most cases.  Can't tell you how the 20xx series of nVidia GPUs will do for flight sims until mine arrives Oct 1 ... I suspect there might be reviews before then for those who got lucky with pre-orders and ship around 9/20.

Cheers, Rob.

2 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Hey my pic is only from about 23 months or so ago 🙂

Horizontal because they are easier to work with and I'd rather have gravity work for me rather than against me ... especially with Today's GPU that have some weight ... overall just less gravitational stress on the MB and components.  The X9 has plenty of room for 2 pumps, 2 reservoirs, 2 480 x 60mm radiators, flow & temp sensors, pressure release values, big 1600W PSU, 11 fans, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Cheers, Rob.

Awesome! I have added it to my Amazon/Newegg wish-list! I do agree with what you are saying though. Especially when paying top dollars for a very good motherboard and GPU.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

4 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

16GB system RAM should be enough in most cases.  Can't tell you how the 20xx series of nVidia GPUs will do for flight sims until mine arrives Oct 1 ... I suspect there might be reviews before then for those who got lucky with pre-orders and ship around 9/20.

Cheers, Rob.

Is there a significant downside to 32GB?  It's so inexpensive compared to the rest of the box.  I know you can have some reduction in overclockability and there is some sort of processing overhead the more ram you have, but as I say, is there a significant downside?  I put 32Gb in my now 6 y/o box but I know I've never come close to using it.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

50 minutes ago, Noel said:

Is there a significant downside to 32GB?

Other than harder to OC "sometimes", it would most likely be a benefit.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob I will go w/ 32GB then.

Noel

One other followup query, Rob...

The MOBO you recommended doesn't seem to be available at the moment (out of stock). Just wondered if there'd be any problem with going with the following: (All that seems to be different is it has WiFi AC. Other than that, the specs look the same to me, but you may notice something I'm not seeing)

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks!

Ted

1 hour ago, tdeller said:

The MOBO you recommended doesn't seem to be available at the moment (out of stock)

Keep in mind my post was from July, new CPUs/MBs are due out soon so my recommendation would be to wait for the 9700K or 9900K and Z390 MBs.

However, if waiting is not an option and stock will not come back anytime soon, then this is a good alternative GigaByte AORUS Gaming 7 or the ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming.

Cheers, Rob.