Sign in to follow this  
ArJunaBug

Any chance of getting the DC-6 tutorial Flight Plans?

I just bought the PMDG DC-6 and the PMDG 747-400 today. Order #: 426391.  I read in a year old thread that PMDG would make the missing tutorial files available to customers. I've searched the PMDG site while logged in with the account I purchased under and I can't find them. The DC-6 Tutorial 1 flight plan is incomplete and the Tutorial 2 Flight plan is missing completely.

I don't know if there are issues yet with the 747-400 QOTS Tutorial files yet, but if so I would like access to those as well.

Much thanks,
Jim

3 hours ago, ArJunaBug said:

I just bought the PMDG DC-6 and the PMDG 747-400 today.

If you've bought them, they're already on your comp.

744: [simfolder]\PMDG\PMDG 747 QOTS II\Flight Manuals

DC6: [simfolder]\PMDG\PMDG DC-6\Flight Manuals

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

The first tutorial flight plan file is incomplete and the second one is missing. In another thread on here from a year ago I read that this was an admitted error in not including them in the installer and that someone from PMDG would make them available.  If memory serves, when I went through the first DC-6 tutorial the first flight plan file was missing numerous waypoints and the second flight plan was missing completely.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by ArJunaBug

4 hours ago, ArJunaBug said:

The first tutorial flight plan file is incomplete and the second one is missing.

Can you be more specific about what you're asserting here?

I'd ask that, instead of just going off of what people are claiming online, you take a moment to look into things on your own.

If memory serves, when I went through the first DC-6 tutorial the first flight plan file was missing numerous waypoints

Which ones, specifically?

and the second flight plan was missing completely.

It never had one, and was never supposed to. Note that the tutorial never refers to loading one, and explains in great detail how to dial in the VORs and radials. Again, instead of making sweeping assumptions, I ask that you take a moment to list the specific issues when comparing them to the tutorials and files actually on your computer.

After release, things needed to be corrected. They got corrected. You're citing old evidence while not even checking the files I pointed to. It's misleading, and not entirely appropriate.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

I'll have to go back through the tutorial, but I actually tried to follow along in the tutorial and it was missing maybe three or four of the waypoints in the middle of the flight out of Seattle I think it was.I searched online to figure out if a correction had been made and I found a post about a year old on this forum that pointed out the same thing and I believe it was a staff member from PMDG said that it was an accidental error and the correct files would be posted. I ended the tutorial there and posted this thread to ask about it. I don't believe I was making assumptions. I had an issue. I saw on here I was not the only one, and so I asked about it.

OK, so I went back into to take a look so I could post details.  The Tutorial says to load the flight plan and "confirm that the plan had been entered properly by reviewing the FPL plage". I did and while the tutorial shows the following flight plan:

KBDX
BTG
OKARE
TOUTL
ALDER
CIDUG
SEA
KSEA

the flight plan included loads only:

KBDX
BTG
ALDER
SEA
KSEA

Since I couldn't "confirm that the plan had been entered properly" I quit and posted here.

BTW, I do not appreciate your harsh words. I don't see where I am "going off". I'm simply saying I had an issue getting through the tutorial, which is true.

Quite honestly Arjuna, when I flew the tutorial I ignored the problem because if you are navigating by VOR from BTG to SEA the interim waypoints mean nothing.  Realistically, this can be flown by following I-5 North, keep the Pacific Ocean to the left and the Cascade Mountains to the right.  You'll find Seattle.

Dan Downs KCRP

5 minutes ago, ArJunaBug said:

OK, so I went back into to take a look so I could post details.  The Tutorial says to load the flight plan and "confirm that the plan had been entered properly by reviewing the FPL plage". I did and while the tutorial shows the following flight plan:

KBDX
BTG
OKARE
TOUTL
ALDER
CIDUG
SEA
KSEA

the flight plan included loads only:

KBDX
BTG
ALDER
SEA
KSEA

If your sim doesn't understand the waypoints, they'll drop out. A cursory check of a Low Enroute Chart would show that it could easily be KPDX BTG SEA KSEA - those intermediate fixes only serve as progress points, since none of them require a change in course.

9 minutes ago, ArJunaBug said:

BTW, I do not appreciate your harsh words. I don't see where I am "going off". I'm simply saying I had an issue getting through the tutorial, which is true.

I'm going to push back here...

In your first post, you said you had bought the aircraft and couldn't find the tutorials (either on your own computer, or on the website), but that the tutorials had problems. Because the installer places the tutorial files on your computer, I knew that you had not verified for yourself whether or not you had an issue, but claimed there was an issue because you saw something online. It would be like ordering computer parts, receiving them, never opening the box, and posting online that the product is broken because some people made a few forum posts that their parts were delivered broken, instead of opening the box to verify yourself.

I let that slide - people make mistakes, and it's easy to be mislead by info online - and pointed you to the documentation location.

Your next post said that tutorial 1 is incomplete, and tutorial 2 was missing. If you had looked in the places I had told you, then you would have seen tutorial 2, so it was likely that you hadn't looked at tutorial 1 in order to make the claim you were making (you'd have to see tutorial 2 if you saw tutorial 1). You then made a reference to a forum thread, which made it seem even more that you were relying more on a random forum post than verifying on your own. Again, it could have been a simple mistake, but less likely this time around. This is how misinformation gets spread.

I provided the location of the documents, where you would have seen the second tutorial but still made the claim that it was missing. This is false, as is obvious when you go to the location that I pointed you to. I can accept that people make mistakes, but given the first post where you made an assertion without verifying the information, and then made it again after I'd pointed you to the location where your assertion was proven false...it's a little tough to overlook.

Also: your quote of me is out of context. I said:

"I'd ask that, instead of just going off of what people are claiming online , you take a moment to look into things on your own." The phrase "going off of" in this context is a different way to say "relying upon." I did not use it in any way, shape, or form, to indicate that you were "going off," or "spouting off," or otherwise "losing your cool."

Please be more careful to slow down and take a moment to take everything in. If you'd gone to the location I'd pointed you to, and taken a moment to look over each file, you would have seen the second tutorial. Same goes for the quote you took out of context: if you'd taken a moment to look over the whole sentence, it would have been clear what I was saying. We wouldn't have even gotten that far if you'd taken the time to verify things on your own from the outset, or even after my first post.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

Tutorial 1 PDF says "confirm that the plan had been entered properly". It was not. If it is not necessary to have the waypoints then say so in the tutorial. I had no idea I did not need them all. I just went with what the tutorial told me to do. I still maintain there is no flight plan file for tutorial 2.  I have been very polite from the OP and it immediately felt hostile in here. I will be sure to never buy another PMDG product so I can avoid this place as much as possible.

BTW, I was pretty clear from the OP that it was the tutorial flight plan files I had issue with, and that was supported by other posts here that claimed the same issue. Attacking me for my post in any manner was completely unwarranted. If I am forced to post here again I will politely ask that you please not respond. Hopefully PMDG has other less abusive support staff.

Edited by ArJunaBug

On 7/17/2018 at 1:10 PM, downscc said:

Quite honestly Arjuna, when I flew the tutorial I ignored the problem because if you are navigating by VOR from BTG to SEA the interim waypoints mean nothing.  Realistically, this can be flown by following I-5 North, keep the Pacific Ocean to the left and the Cascade Mountains to the right.  You'll find Seattle.

Thank you for chiming in. I will try it again using your advice. I had no idea what the tutorial was leading me into, so I just stopped when it said to ensure the flight plan was correctly loaded.  It's good to know I can complete it without worrying about the flight plan being complete.

Thanks again.