Sign in to follow this  
bjablonka8120

New guy, please help

Hi, just moved yesterday from Prepar3D v 4.3 to XP 11and have tons of questions but the pressing ones are: I am missing many buildings (not specific ones) in cities in S. Cal, it just looks empty despite that I maxed out the elements tap in settings. Also it looks very hazy despite that I moved the slider to 100 miles in view settings. Do you have any ideas what I can do? Is there any guide for new guys?

Thanks so much.

Bernd Jablonka

Hi Bernd,

I can´t compare to P3D, but of course things will look different. I don´t know which city you are talking about in SoCal, but my cities in XP look pretty much what they looked like the last time I flew into KLAX in real life.

The haze is also something that many convertees complain about, but it is mostly a thing to get used to - I (as a real-world pilot of 27 years experience) regard the visibility and colours in X-Plane as very close to what I experience in most everday flying. My flight-training in the Arizona desert was different, but I think those visibility conditions are fairly unique to the very dry regions of the world.

Cheers, Jan

First look at a lot of youtube vids on the basics of X-Plane 11.  A lot of good people have taken the time to help your learning curve be much faster.

Once you have the hang of X-Plane take a look at this:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/29120-ortho4xp/

Awesome what it does, but you need to understand what and how to make this work. The nice thing about X-Plane unlike FSX through P3D, their is a lot of really good freeware made and being made (look at the 737 Zibo mod).  Again their is a few  youtube vids on Ortho4xp to walk you through how to make an area really look sharp.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions. It is great to experiment around with a new simulator.

Best

Bernd Jablonka

Personally I can't fly unless it's over orthos. Check the downloads at the org for Forkboys pre made orthos if you don't feel like getting a handle on Ortho4XP right away...there is a bit of a learning curve. But well worth it, since you can make your own ortho tiles for most of the world. There are many, many things you can do to enhance XPlane. It's basically a big open sandbox to play in. Cheers!

Yea what @Bob say's, I use my own Ortho for Europe but Forkboy's is also pretty good for the US.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:27 AM, Janov said:

Hi Bernd,

I can´t compare to P3D, but of course things will look different. I don´t know which city you are talking about in SoCal, but my cities in XP look pretty much what they looked like the last time I flew into KLAX in real life.

The haze is also something that many convertees complain about, but it is mostly a thing to get used to - I (as a real-world pilot of 27 years experience) regard the visibility and colours in X-Plane as very close to what I experience in most everday flying. My flight-training in the Arizona desert was different, but I think those visibility conditions are fairly unique to the very dry regions of the world.

Cheers, Jan

I agree, the haze is very realistic for much of the world, aside from the pristine Arizona Desert where I took Light Sport Lessons in.  I could climb to altitude in my Allegro 2000 with my CFI, and see all the way to the San Francisco Peaks, about 140 miles due north of Phoenix.  Xplane11's haze rendering is near perfect, I have P3D and its haze is a bit too clear, I created the Soft Horizons update for FS9-FSX to better render the sky haze, it's still in Avsim's library.   P3d's default horizon is better than FSX was so I made no changes there, if I want to make it hazy I just lower the visibility to about sixty miles or so.

John