Sign in to follow this  
KJConlon

Aerosoft Airbus Professional

Thanks for the report and suggestions.  We'll check that out for the next update.

For the non-responsive FO, are you in the right "mode" as shown on the FS2Crew Main Panel?

The mode should match up with the checklist you're trying to call.

Cheers,

4 hours ago, byork said:

Thanks for the report and suggestions.  We'll check that out for the next update.

For the non-responsive FO, are you in the right "mode" as shown on the FS2Crew Main Panel?

The mode should match up with the checklist you're trying to call.

Cheers,

There have been a few times where I've found myself to be at fault (typically in the pushback phase trying to get the sequencing right with GSX, which I think I've finally figured out), but for the Approach Checklist, yes, every time it has annunciated the correct mode.  It took me a couple tries before learning that flipping back to the prior mode and then forward again basically resets things.

For what it's worth, I've also been learning the NGX flows and in contrast, I don't believe I've yet had an unresponsive FO with that package.

Christopher Sargeant | Worldwide Virtual WW2464

Spoiler

Sim PC Specs: i7-11700F @ 2.5 Ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB | 16 GB DDR4 SDRAM | Windows 11 Pro | P3D v5.3 hf2 | MSFS | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, byork said:

For the approach checklist, are you manually skipping to the approach mode?  Or is approach mode automatically being selected for you in sequence?

If I don't touch the main panel at all, it will automatically select, but it won't respond to my request for the checklist.  The "green bar" will also confirm that the system is hearing "approach checklist".  Basically, everything appears to work well up to and through requesting "Activate approach phase":

• Approach briefing was run
  • Transition altitude passed, loca baro set and responded "checked" to FO call of "now" (and acknowledged by "green bar")
  • Approach phase activated (I haven't tried activating it manually to see if that makes a difference)

Is it possible I'm running it too early?  I typically like to run it not long after passing 10,000 feet, depending on when a particular approach calls for flap extension (some much earlier than others).

Also something to consider was my last flight was the RNAV 31R approach into SKBO (Bogota) which is an interesting non-precision approach into a very high field elevation (~8300 feet MSL), so it's quite possible that particular approach might have inadvertently thrown off some sequencing - flap extension well above 10000 feet, etc.  I'm planning on running another flight again this evening so I'll see if I have any better luck.

Spoiler

Sim PC Specs: i7-11700F @ 2.5 Ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB | 16 GB DDR4 SDRAM | Windows 11 Pro | P3D v5.3 hf2 | MSFS | TrackIR 5

Hi Chris,

Keep the Main Panel open.  There's an automatic switch to approach mode, and you're probably missing the trigger.  If you follow the manual you'll hit it.  Make sure you're completing the After Takeoff checklist "below the line".

If you can do a flight with the FS2Crew Main Panel left open, you can monitor what mode you're in.

Remember you can't just call for the "Approach Checklist" anytime.  You need to be the right mode.

This is to help minimize the chances of you calling for, say, the approach checklist during preflight if the system accidentally thinks you're saying approach checklist.

11 hours ago, byork said:

Hi Chris,

Keep the Main Panel open.  There's an automatic switch to approach mode, and you're probably missing the trigger.  If you follow the manual you'll hit it.  Make sure you're completing the After Takeoff checklist "below the line".

If you can do a flight with the FS2Crew Main Panel left open, you can monitor what mode you're in.

Remember you can't just call for the "Approach Checklist" anytime.  You need to be the right mode.

This is to help minimize the chances of you calling for, say, the approach checklist during preflight if the system accidentally thinks you're saying approach checklist.

Finally figured it out - I think!  I ran two flights today, the first of which I again was unable to get the approach checklist to trigger, but there was a little mess up in sequencing that I thought could have been a problem in that I got the cabin secure message before running the approach flows.  I chalked it up to that and it being another somewhat atypical non-precision approach.

I then tried another quick flight, and this time I did not request nor manually activate the approach phase before requesting the approach checklist, and that time it worked as intended.  So it seems that activating approach phase in the MCDU "untriggers" the approach checklist?  That makes perfect logical sense (especially if you're familiar with the Aerosoft FO flows), but it's perhaps a little misleading as in the manual it is listed as Step 1 under Approach and Landing, before Step 2, speaking "approach checklist".  Emphasis on "if" needed, I suppose.  Maybe it would be more appropriate to move that line to under the Landing header.

Edited by Sabretooth78

Spoiler

I don't think I am but I'll make sure I do on the next flight and see what happens - I'm still periodically experiencing problems with it.  Usually I'll just cycle the flight mode off and then back to <approach> and then it works OK.

One thing I have observed is that when I don't get a response from calling "Approach Checklist", if I say "Checked", the FO will respond with "Seat Belts", so it seems as if he is running the checklist, just asked me "ECAM Status" and the audio just isn't playing for some reason.  Similarly, if I say "Set", I get the "MDA/DH" cue.  Odd.

Spoiler

Recycling with reset it as you found out.

Try to find a reproducible pattern.  I can't reproduce your issue.

It's easy to miss steps.

Always always, fly the tutorial and make sure you see the expected phrase in the Green Bar:

http://www.support.fs2crew.com/help/manuals/#pageid=captain___pilot_flying_flows2

Unfortunately I'm only able to reproduce it in the sense that it happens all the time!

My last flight, I decided to try resetting Approach mode immediately after completing the After Takeoff Below the Line checklist and saw no change in behavior on approach.  Therefore it would seem something isn't being done correctly during the approach.  I am in descent mode as I run the Descent Prep items and the Approach Brief and have the "flashing asterisk" in the main panel.

What I typically do is then begin the descent and once cleared to below FL180 I'll set the altimeter and respond "checked" to the "now" call (at which time I usually get asked "Seat Belts".  Often, but not always, this is above FL180.  Does it need to be below transition at all times?  Below 10,000?  (as reading the manual in perfect sequence would seem to indicate)

Interestingly, when it does seem to "quietly" go into the Approach checklist, if I tell the FO to "restart the checklist" it seems to work and then I can call it "for real" - however, if I say "cancel the checklist", nothing happens and the green bar doesn't even report me having said anything.

In any event I'm content to just reset after passing transition altitude since I haven't been able to find any "smoking gun" as to what I'm doing wrong (it doesn't help that I've never had any issue at all with the NGX or 777).  Maybe it'll magically fix itself when 3.3 comes out; maybe not...

A few other questions/suggestions:

• Regarding pushback, I like the features of the S.Crew/Eng Start mode but as I use GSX for pushback I will typically skip from Before Start Below straight to After Start.  Any possibility of making this [skipping] an option?
  • Is it possible to tie the FA requests to the FWD Calls pushbutton on the overhead panel?  Just a thought; maybe that would cause unwanted conflicts with the Aerosoft FA and isn't worth the trouble.
Edited by Sabretooth78

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Sabretooth78 said:

Unfortunately I'm only able to reproduce it in the sense that it happens all the time!

My last flight, I decided to try resetting Approach mode immediately after completing the After Takeoff Below the Line checklist and saw no change in behavior on approach.  Therefore it would seem something isn't being done correctly during the approach.  I am in descent mode as I run the Descent Prep items and the Approach Brief and have the "flashing asterisk" in the main panel.

What I typically do is then begin the descent and once cleared to below FL180 I'll set the altimeter and respond "checked" to the "now" call (at which time I usually get asked "Seat Belts".  Often, but not always, this is above FL180.  Does it need to be below transition at all times?  Below 10,000?  (as reading the manual in perfect sequence would seem to indicate)

Interestingly, when it does seem to "quietly" go into the Approach checklist, if I tell the FO to "restart the checklist" it seems to work and then I can call it "for real" - however, if I say "cancel the checklist", nothing happens and the green bar doesn't even report me having said anything.

In any event I'm content to just reset after passing transition altitude since I haven't been able to find any "smoking gun" as to what I'm doing wrong (it doesn't help that I've never had any issue at all with the NGX or 777).  Maybe it'll magically fix itself when 3.3 comes out; maybe not...

A few other questions/suggestions:

• Regarding pushback, I like the features of the S.Crew/Eng Start mode but as I use GSX for pushback I will typically skip from Before Start Below straight to After Start.  Any possibility of making this [skipping] an option?
  • Is it possible to tie the FA requests to the FWD Calls pushbutton on the overhead panel?  Just a thought; maybe that would cause unwanted conflicts with the Aerosoft FA and isn't worth the trouble.

Send me a support ticket via the contact page at: www.fs2crew.com

The next update is almost ready to go out, but I want to help you with your Approach checklist first. 

We can run a test and see where it's getting messed up for you.  

Other items:

1. Skipping.. I'll consider it.

2. I believe that was the issue with doing it... the potential conflict.

Send me the ticket asap please.

20 minutes ago, byork said:

Send me the ticket asap please.

Ticket sent - but just so you know, it'll be about 12 hours before I'll be able to test anything so I might not have any meaningful feedback until tomorrow!

Spoiler