Sign in to follow this  
SoloPilot

Best flight planning service?

What's the best flight planning tool for FSX? I'm especially wondering which has the best fuel prediction, specifically between TOPCAT and SimBrief. Which one of the two is more accurate in determining fuel amounts and reserve fuel?

TOPCAT does not do true fuel planning. It is a takeoff performance calculator and it’s fuel numbers are only estimates. It will not do anything to plan a route of flight or alternates  

So between those two, definitely Simbrief. PFPX is also very good. It is payware, but capable of very complex plans. 

Edited by ESzczesniak

Eric Szczesniak

PFPX is the better overall option. But as it is payware it's understandable that it is.  Once you narrow down the profile for the aircraft you want to fly there are more fuel options you can play with like B343 (Redispatch) which is as real as it gets for ocean crossings.  I use Simbrief on occasion for a couple aircraft that aren't covered by PFPX though.  So try simbrief out.  I don't think PFPX has a trial period but if it did I think you'd grow to really like it.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Not sure how hard set the OP is but I find that Ideal Flight 10 does a very good job at flight creation and planning. There is a demo to try..

Simbrief does the job here and free.

nebojsa

What all are you looking for?  How rich an experience?  I use the real world site FltPlan.com.  It is highly accurate. Has to be, its real world not sim.  Has built in performance tables for a wide universe of aircraft types and models.  I provides an aircraft specific burn by hour sequence method for fuel planning as one option (burn can vary by hour), or a full aircraft specific performance table structured by speed and altitudes, and you can tweak it if you want.  It uses live and forecast weather and pegs your fuel consumption and enroute time.  It also pairs with a terrific IOS or Android app that connects to your simulator environment via your home network.

Here is a link to an in-depth discussion here on Avsim:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/471387-fltplan-go-app-for-ipad-way-cool/

AC%20perform%20table%282%29.jpg

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Oh wow, okay. I'll probably stick with SimBrief, as it's what's easily available to me and I don't have to pay anything for it. Thanks guys!

with pfpx   you  can link  top  cat  with it

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

simbrief especially now its sends the flight plan automatically to all your pre selected aircraft. No more searching for folders

ZORAN

8 hours ago, zmak said:

simbrief especially now its sends the flight plan automatically to all your pre selected aircraft. No more searching for folders

oh ok

fppilot:

I enjoy using FLTPLAN.COM. I like the situational awareness that it offers like using my ipad to actually see where I am on an actual approach plate or an airport diagram.  I also like being able to switch between sectionals, street views and others.

I cannot however always use a flightplan that uses a named SID or a named STAR because my aircraft requires RNAV capability.  I always have to manually type all of the waypoints which is a real drag! How do you get around this limitation since I am not a real pilot with a real aircraft?

Thanks for your help, Frank!

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.