Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Will a fast enough CPU ever be created?

Since cpu's seem to have hit a max Hz limit, I'm guessing the only way we will see powerful performance applied to our sim's is a grand change to the sim code itself. Code that takes full advantage of multiple cores instead of relying heavily on cpu frequency.

I'm doubting this will ever happen in our old age lifetimes, thoughts if hardware limited frame rate will ever be solved?

I saw a picture of the world's fastest super computer yesterday. The first thing that popped into my head was, I wonder if that's fast enough to run a flight sim fluidly with the sliders maxed out?

NAX669.png

26 minutes ago, VeryBumpy said:

Since cpu's seem to have hit a max Hz limit, I'm guessing the only way we will see powerful performance applied to our sim's is a grand change to the sim code itself. Code that takes full advantage of multiple cores instead of relying heavily on cpu frequency.

I'm doubting this will ever happen in our old age lifetimes, thoughts if hardware limited frame rate will ever be solved?

Hi....I am 71 YO now and often wonder the same thing. I use P3D and it looks like V5 is coming within 6 months to a year if we are lucky. It looks like that will have a new engine based on interviews with LM Dev's. I would be interested to hear thoughts and opinions on what effect the newer techs like Vulcan or some of the others may have. I am still using a 3770K and 980TI but really don't want the upgrade now and then still not have enough horsepower to do a good job with P3D V5. So what do you guys and gals think.  Please lets not beat them up because of their opinions.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Between the 2, Xplane or P3D, I'd gladly jump ship to either of them if they get a massive performance bump by going fully multicore support.

From a bit of searching, sounds like Xplane is ahead of the game by working on porting to use Vulcan. This will allow for proper multiple core usage to render the graphics.

Is there news from P3D doing the same? Is V5 the Vulkan port?

2 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

Is there news from P3D doing the same? Is V5 the Vulkan port?

They have said that V5 would have a new rendering engine but I don't think they specified Vulcan.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

I think the better expectation is that developers work to optimize the code for today's processors, as the direction seems to be more towards additional cores, not faster clock speeds.... My system is brand new (spec's below) and I still can't send the sliders all the way to the right, without things turning into a PowerPoint presentation.

These conversations always make me tilt my head sideways a bit. Its a given, it seems to me, that to take full advantage of today's hardware, probably a brand new sim/new approach will be required, yet at the same time, it seems the community barely gives new efforts the time of day.

We seem not to want to give any new sim consideration until it somehow catch's up to the decades of effort imparted to our current sims, which of course robs them of the very support they require to ever do so.

I wonder if "we" (whoever we are) are really serious sometimes, or are just making water-cooler conversation, with basic economics thrown out the window.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

These conversations always make me tilt my head sideways a bit. Its a given, it seems to me, that to take full advantage of today's hardware, probably a brand new sim/new approach will be required, yet at the same time, it seems the community barely gives new efforts the time of day.

We seem not to want to give any new sim consideration until it somehow catch's up to the decades of effort imparted to our current sims, which of course robs them of the very support they require to ever do so.

I wonder if "we" (whoever we are) are really serious sometimes, or are just making useless water-cooler conversation, with basic economics thrown out the window.

Is there one in particular that you have in mind?

NAX669.png

I think FS2 is someway down this road they already use Vulcan which runs well over 120fps, and they are now talking about ATC and improved weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pzq8MtHpTI

Edited by SierraHotel

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

46 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Is there one in particular that you have in mind?

Three, actually. We all know the fate of Ms FLIGHT, followed by the recent FSW, and I'm hoping not followed by Aerofly, though that seems that it might succeed on its own by courting the broader VR market above and beyond just Flightsim.

I hesitate to even mention Nextgen sim, and I'm hoping that Deadstick is so different that what we think doesn't even apply, because lots of people will like it above and beyond the pure simulation market.

(And every time I see new info on flyinside sim, I want to pray for their brave souls) 😋

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Will faster CPUs now really help? We're at the 4/5GHZ mark now. I think the key now is better coding of simulators to make better use of modern tech. Older sims like P3D (From FSX tech) and X-Plane were made in the days when single-core CPUs were the norm, but now we're moving to multicore and powerful GPUs. I think it's no coincidence that AF2 and X-Plane are moving to Vulkan, which gives more power to the developer to control the pipeline, especially useful for multicore

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Three, actually. We all know the fate of Ms FLIGHT, followed by the recent FSW, and I'm hoping not followed by Aerofly, though that seems that it might succeed on its own by courting the broader VR market above and beyond just Flightsim.

I hesitate to even mention Nextgen sim, and I'm hoping that Deadstick is so different that what we think doesn't even apply, because lots of people will like it above and beyond the pure simulation market.

(And every time I see new info on flyinside sim, I want to pray for their brave souls) 😋

Aerofly does look promising but to be honest I think other than X-Plane and P3D and a really weak maybe for AF all the others are either dead as you noted or dying as in FSX. Don't know anything about the other couple of things you mentioned. Even for AF it is going to be a long slog to compete with things like systems, WX and so on. Bottom line is that it is hard to get excited about a startup that is going to take 5-10 years to catch up no mater how good their graphics are. We are a group of older guys on the adverage and it seems the best shot we have is either P3D or X-plane. I think that has a lot to do with your perception  that we are not very interested in every want to be that pops up.

Sam

15 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Will faster CPUs now really help? We're at the 4/5GHZ mark now. I think the key now is better coding of simulators to make better use of modern tech. Older sims like P3D (From FSX tech) and X-Plane were made in the days when single-core CPUs were the norm, but now we're moving to multicore and powerful GPUs. I think it's no coincidence that AF2 and X-Plane are moving to Vulkan, which gives more power to the developer to control the pipeline, especially useful for multicore

Agree but P3D is also moving towards a new engine also!😊

Sam

10 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

I think that has a lot to do with your perception  that we are not very interested in every want to be that pops up.

Well, I'm probably going to be around for a while (it seems!) unless something unexpected happens, so I don't mind waiting. Plus, I kind of take the longer view. In my mind, its not just about me; its about the future of the hobby and all those potential new simmers out there, that after playing the latest games for years think our decade old sims look about as attractive as pong and run like injured turtles. 😃

Devons rig

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

that after playing the latest games for years think our decade old sims look about as attractive as pong and run like injured turtles. 😃

+1 to this. Flight sims are of course more involved, but look awful when you put them side-by-side with modern games