Sign in to follow this  
kjjj11223344

Ortho4XP for FSX/P3D

Hey guys,

I modified Ortho4XP version 1.30 to enable support for FSX/P3D. The main advantage over FSEarthTiles is that water masks are created dynamically and accurately from OpenStreetMap data at extremely high detail (no more slaving over creating accurate water masks). I will try to add creation of night and seasonal masks in the future (no ETA as I'm very busy).

All that it requires is ticking the box "Build for ESP (FSX/P3D)" before clicking on batch build. The BGL files will be placed inside the main program directory\Orthophotos\. From there, find the folder which contains the orthophotos for the area just downloaded. In that folder will be an ADDON_SCENERY folder. This can be renamed to whatever name you wish and added to FSX/P3D scenery.

The program requires resample.exe from the FSX/P3D SDK. You can install the SDK from Lockheed Martin's website if you have P3D. If you have FSX, the SDK comes on one of the discs of the deluxe edition or in the gold/acceleration pack disk.

In Ortho4XP.cfg, you need to change the last line (ie
ESP_resample_loc=F:\\ortho4xpvm\\resample.exe
)
And type in the location to your resample.exe from the SDK after the equals sign, deleting the current location that is already there. Notice that backslashes need to be escaped with another backslash, so make sure to always put two backslashes instead of one for windows paths.)

I have provided a binary built using pyinstaller in the dist folder. If you don't trust it, then feel free to install all the required modules manually and run Ortho4XP_v130.py in the main folder with python.

Forks and pull requests are welcome with bug fixes/feature improvements. I plan to add creation of night masks and season masks by porting over these algorithms from the masking scripts of the new version of FSEarthTiles.

Please notify me of any bugs here, so that I have a better chance of seeing it.

Here is a link to the github where you can download the code and the binary (note, you need to download the whole repository even if you just want the binary):

Finally, and this is pretty obvious, use at your own risk :).
Edited by kjjj11223344
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Nice job! thanks

• Like 1

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Does this allow the display of autogen over the orthophoto in P3D?

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

1 hour ago, AirborneZed said:

Does this allow the display of autogen over the orthophoto in P3D?s

Not yet, that is a feature I hope to add in the future. If you want to add accurate autogen right now from OpenStreetMap, I suggest looking at scenproc: https://www.scenerydesign.org/scenproc/

• Like 4

Alfredo Terrero

4 hours ago, OzWookiee said:

Haven't tried ScenProc before. Is it difficult?

I have used it for AeroflyFS2. Use as such for limited areas is quite easy, however, you need a good script for interpreting which features should translate into which autogen objects (which depend on the simulator, of course). AeroflyFS2 associated developer Rodeo provides such a script for AeroflyFS2 as a start which works quite well for "ordinary/average" cities (I could create my home town pretty well using it). However you have to modify it when it comes to special regions (say historic old towns, dedicated industrial areas etc.)

However, it's well possible there are already appropriate scripts available for Prepar3d which I didn't check. Besides, these scripts are just open ASCII files which you can edit, thus it's not rocket science to adapt them to your need and talented people should be able to provide good templates.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Outstanding work! Just made a test tile for the southern part of the Netherlands. And I'm very enthusiastic about this!
Looking forward to the point at witch autogen is/can be added

This looks pretty neat but I balk at the complex install.

Is there a dummy 'click on .exe to install' version?

VB you've taken the words right out of my mouth. Tried it in XP and pretty user friendly (didn't even have to use 'Python' ....) reading the instructions for this version its way beyond a non-pcwhizzkid like myself .... made me feel like running off and hiding under a rock .... hopefully in time it might be dumbed down for mere mortals ..... great news though!

38 minutes ago, AKStirling said:

VB you've taken the words right out of my mouth. Tried it in XP and pretty user friendly (didn't even have to use 'Python' ....) reading the instructions for this version its way beyond a non-pcwhizzkid like myself .... made me feel like running off and hiding under a rock .... hopefully in time it might be dumbed down for mere mortals ..... great news though!

What's better than having source code on github and you can help fixing bugs and adding new features as you go?

Zicheng Cai

1 hour ago, AKStirling said:

Actually, I did create a self contained exe that is simple to run:). I admit, the instructions aren't very good. I wrote them too quickly and are difficult to understand. They are mainly for if you dont trust my exe and want to read the code and build it yourself. But the exe works by simply double clicking. Simply download the folders from github, and run the exe from within the dist directory.

Edited by kjjj11223344
grammar

Alfredo Terrero

Just one question though, the tool generates two folders - terrain/ and texture/. How do you add these to P3D?

Zicheng Cai