Sign in to follow this  
kjjj11223344

Ortho4XP for FSX/P3D

I’ve read the topic with some interest. However before I start to download and learn how to use the software can somebody confirm if the resultant scenery with work with P3D v4?  Is it simply a matter of having the config point at the appropriate resample.exe?

ive seen a hint in one of the posts but nothing defiant.

Malcolm

20 minutes ago, Supermalc said:

can somebody confirm if the resultant scenery with work with P3D v4

Yes.  It will work with P3D v4.  Yes, point the config at the resample from the P3D v4 sdk(though I think it would work w/ earlier versions too but you might as well just use the latest version of the sdk).

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Hi ..... just my tuppenceworth of feedback on the current state of play .... decided to do Oahu(2 tiles-exe version GO2 Z17) with summer + night mask and, processed in under 2 hours which is pleasing .... where I'm less enthusiastic(yes, I know I'm repeating myself here but for me a significant disappointment) has to be with the quality and consistency of the finished tiles ... for example, take a look at the captures as per links below, to see what I mean .... someone commented to the effect its a bug of some sort with P3D.... so why isn't it visible with my Orbx regional scenery which is utterly convincing as to colouration and consistency?? Hate to rain on the parade, but I have to be honest and say output like that is non-viable, a real immersion killer(the night scenery also leaves a lot to be desired - see capture also) .... I very much appreciate the work going into this project on kjjj's part and am keen to see it succeed, and appreciate its early days, but feel we have to consider quality of output as a variable in the equation .... 

Alan

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w319j7bd5a21jii/oahuinconsistency.PNG/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ms35gmm0jsc5555/oahuinconsistency1.PNG/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/majcrlokdbl05r5/oahunight.PNG/file

I see your point. But aren’t the tiles totally dependent on the quality of the underlying photography and if there is significant colour differences or clouds in the way that will show in the scenery. Freeware is not going to be perfect. 

Malcolm

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AKStirling said:

o why isn't it visible with my Orbx regional scenery which is utterly convincing as to colouration and consistency??

Unlike ORBX, this tool only downloads the images and creates the requested masks and converts them to a .bgl format for sim use. ORBX spend hundreds of dollars to aquire the satellite photos and then from there, they do color correction, cloud removal, and other stuff to produce the flawless scenery you get with their products.

Ortho4XP doesn't do any of the color correction, cloud removal, etc. The night masks this modified version produces is imperfect and it often guesses where light spots will be (in the original X-Plane version, it uses overlays to place roads, which provides the night lights). As a result of O4XP only downloading images directly from the source (such as Bing or Google), you will see miscolouration in tiles and such (which seems to be what you're experiencing, based on what Google Maps is showing - Bing's Oahu photos do not have this issue).

Edit: Added link to Google Maps location.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/O‘ahu/@21.4922711,-157.9479509,15135m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x7c006632db726b03:0xd9587d69906fcbc3!8m2!3d21.4389123!4d-158.0000565

Edited by euroau
Added link to Google Maps
  • Like 1

Euroau .... thanks for pitching in ..... my thinking is taking me towards the conclusion that it really is in p3d's processing of the tiles the problem lies ..... on a couple of occasions while waiting for the program to finish, opened a selection of the bmps in the Addon_scenery folder with Paint, and been impressed by the clarity, colour depth/vibrancy of what I'm seeing .... i.e. if that were replicated in the sim then what a happy bunny I would be! (this notion supported by my recollection of running the program during my recent trial of X-plane .... think I'd recall seeing the anomalies I'm seeing in p3d, had they been there?

Alan

Edited by AKStirling

18 hours ago, AKStirling said:

Euroau .... thanks for pitching in ..... my thinking is taking me towards the conclusion that it really is in p3d's processing of the tiles the problem lies ..... on a couple of occasions while waiting for the program to finish, opened a selection of the bmps in the Addon_scenery folder with Paint, and been impressed by the clarity, colour depth/vibrancy of what I'm seeing .... i.e. if that were replicated in the sim then what a happy bunny I would be! (this notion supported by my recollection of running the program during my recent trial of X-plane .... think I'd recall seeing the anomalies I'm seeing in p3d, had they been there?

Alan

The strange coloration is due to the source you use. If you zoom into google maps, you will see that at high zoom levels, there is a wide variety of colors for certain areas (not visible on google maps if you use more zoomed out levels). I suggest trying another source. I tend to use Bing whenever google maps has inconsistent colors.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

The night creation scripts are a work in progress. I ported the C# code that FSET uses for its night creation scripts into a c++ dll. It should be the same output that FSET uses, except for one part of the code that I had to modify slightly. I am currently double checking with what FSET produces and seeing if my logic differs too much from its algorithm (which I thought was pretty good when I used to use it). If it does, I will then port FSETs night creation logic fully into c++ with none of my modifications.

Also - the amount of resample processes that spawn can now be controlled in the latest version.

max_resample_processes

In Ortho4XP.cfg controls how many resamples will launch at a time.

Edited by kjjj11223344

Alfredo Terrero

ignore this for now ..... have backtracked the program's record of the task and found what may be the problem .... will advise if a fix not found! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------just completed a rerun of Oahu using BI17 and discover no ADDON_SCENERY folder created ..... ?? ..... any ideas??

Edited by AKStirling

1 hour ago, AKStirling said:

ignore this for now ..... have backtracked the program's record of the task and found what may be the problem .... will advise if a fix not found! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------just completed a rerun of Oahu using BI17 and discover no ADDON_SCENERY folder created ..... ?? ..... any ideas??

Can you take a screen shot of of the command prompt output? Or copy/paste the output into paste bin.

Are you using the latest version I uploaded around 7 hours ago? It worked fine on my machine, but as with any new release, it might have introduced bugs for others.

Alfredo Terrero

Hi Alfredo ..... links to error messages:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/04ep12h031atcjh/error2.PNG/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g5cy37geqsffeob/imagerror.PNG/file     am running the latest version of the program ....

look forward to your thoughts ....

2 hours ago, AKStirling said:

Hi Alfredo ..... links to error messages:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/04ep12h031atcjh/error2.PNG/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g5cy37geqsffeob/imagerror.PNG/file     am running the latest version of the program ....

look forward to your thoughts ....

Is Ortho4XP actually throwing that ImageMagick wizard error? If you run magick wizard: wizard.jpg, etc. in command prompt manually, it will attempt to run ImageMagick on a file called wizard.jpg. If you don't have this file, it will throw that error (but this has nothing to do with Ortho4XP 🙂 ).

As to the other error which states that the Providers contains invalid code - that is a small issue that is happening with the latest version of Oscar's original Ortho4XP code. I bring in all of Oscar's latest changes whenever he adds anything to the original code, to make sure the Ortho4XP for ESP can function exactly like the original Ortho4XP when it comes to XPlane.

In one of his latest changes, that error was introduced. I haven't bothered looking into it nor fixing it, because it doesn't seem to affect creation of tiles. I am sure Oscar will fix it eventually :).

To conclude: I don't believe either of these two errors led to you not having an Addon_scenery folder. Can you take a video of your workflow when running the program, so that I can spot the error?

Alfredo Terrero

Hi, everytime I open my Ortho4XP for FSX & P3D I get this error in the console: ERROR: Providers/O4_Custom_URL.py contains invalid code. The corresponding providers won't probably work. does anyone have solution yet?