Sign in to follow this  
kjjj11223344

Ortho4XP for FSX/P3D

Hi, 

I have (REALLY) enjoyed Ortho4XP in XP11 for a few years but as a retirement present, I bought a stunning FDS 737-MAX flightdeck which isn't supported in X-plane so regrettably it has been necessary to return to Prepar3D.

Ortho4XP was difficult but I got there eventually and I loved it but Im having real problems configuring for P3D and I don't mind admitting it may be a little to do with age ! - and the convoluted file structure P3D has :-(

What information would you need in order to help me get Ortho4XP/P3D configured ?

Kind regards

Rob

Hi i can get the otho downloaded into the orthophotos folder, how to add the whole lot to the sim. In your video you show only how to add one, can i merge them together and add them as one addon scenery?

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

On 7/14/2018 at 8:38 PM, Cai Zicheng said:

Just one question though, the tool generates two folders - terrain/ and texture/. How do you add these to P3D?

still trying to figure it out lol

I am VERY happy to report i've got it working!!!!!!

Now im going to have a mental breakdown creating autogen. wish me luck lads

https://ibb.co/tDFcwxr

On 6/1/2020 at 1:45 AM, kjjj11223344 said:

On 6/1/2020 at 1:45 AM, kjjj11223344 said:

Does sceneproc run though? Sceneproc has a bug where you need to open it manually after you download it, or it will not run from ortho4xp... if you do see sceneproc opening, then yes, you might need a better script for your area.

Mine works just fine with Ortho4XP and does create AGN files, hope this isn't too late and Happy New Year as well, here is a link to the one I use, it's on my OneDrive for all to download just place the file into the "ScenProc_configs" and make sure you have the path in the Ortho4XP.cfg file that reads

ESP_resample_loc=resample.exe
ESP_scenproc_loc=scenProc.exe
ESP_scenproc_script=config.spc

And place these three programs into the Ortho4XP main directory

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiBgPVcIl5UuhYk4rgVJPj3puQBiBQ?e=2f5M4T

Regards

FlightSimDev

Hi. I was using ORBX products until now, and they are fairly expensive but they do have value for money. i just found out about ortho4p3d and i am merely curious to see the results. now, orbx products worked a charm, but after i tried to use this and i made my first tile in London (not the best place to start but its ok i guess), the process completed, and i also saw a tutorial (referred to this particular video:) and instead of having an addon scenery folder, im left with a bunch of .bmp and .inf files. any help appreciated 🙂

Regards

Apj

Edited by Apj

trying to make myself some decent free photoscenery for the uk and swiss where i fly a lot. is the elevation data transfered to the bgl or not? ive gotten high accuracy for the uk much better than the sim and i want the scenery to use it. I can see compression is set to 100 which is basically no compresion, id complile my own exe but have a weird problem instaling gdal in python

Hello everybody. I'm from Brazil, so please forgive my poor English. 

I love Ortho for P3d. Thanks for this.

I made a scenerio from Brazil, and everything went well. The only problem is that, I can't get those line on the coast. Can anybody help me ? Please please please....

The photos bellow...

https://www.imagemhost.com.br/image/zQPfC

https://www.imagemhost.com.br/image/zQNZB

On 6/20/2020 at 3:25 AM, OzWhitey said:

Hi guys,

Now that I'm awake again, I think I can provide some decent data and clarify the question/situation.

Here is my data in three situations:

1. 'Batch build tiles' tick boxes: all 4 "normal" x-plane boxes selected: Assemble vector data, trinagulate, draw water masks, build imagery/DSF.

Batch build launched for a number of 1 tiles.
Dealing with tile  1 / 1 : +36+022

Step 1 : Building vector data for tile +36+022 : 
--------

-> Dealing with airports
    * Recycling OSM data from ..\OSM_data\+30+020\+36+022\+36+022_airports.osm.bz2
   LGSP   Sparti Air Base                                              1 runway , lat= 36.97, lon= 22.53
   Loading elevation data and smoothing it over airports.
    * Min altitude: -17.0 , Max altitude: 2375.0 , Mean: 111.07116
   Auto-patched 1 runway and 0 piece of taxiway.
   Flattened 2 helipads.
   Number of edges at this point: 333
-> Dealing with roads

Outcome: OSM data recycled as it should be

2. 'Batch build tiles' tick boxes: all 4 "normal" x-plane boxes selected as above PLUS the "Build for ESP (FSX/P3D" box:

Dealing with tile  1 / 1 : +38+021

Step 1 : Building vector data for tile +38+021 : 
--------

Downloading OSM data for ScenProc, this might take some time, please wait...
If OSM server rejects our request due to too many requests, will keep trying until successful.
Attempting to download OSM data from 38, 21 to 38.25, 21.25
Download successful
Attempting to download OSM data from 38.25, 21 to 38.5, 21.25
Download successful
Attempting to download OSM data from 38.5, 21 to 38.75, 21.25
Download successful

Outcome: OSM data is re-downloaded (this is what I am trying to avoid)

3. 'Batch build tiles' tick boxes: all 4 "normal" x-plane boxes selected as above PLUS the "Build for ESP (FSX/P3D" box PLUS 'ESP_scenproc_script=default.spc' line removed from Ortho4XP config file.

Dealing with tile  1 / 1 : +38+021

Step 1 : Building vector data for tile +38+021 : 
--------

Downloading OSM data for ScenProc, this might take some time, please wait...
If OSM server rejects our request due to too many requests, will keep trying until successful.
Attempting to download OSM data from 38, 21 to 38.25, 21.25

Outcome: OSM data is re-downloaded, behaviour unchanged from scenario 2 i.e. removing this line from the Ortho4XP config file is not the solution.

Findings:

You will note that selecting the "build for ESP" option add this line/step to the process, even with the scenproc path removed from the config file.

"Downloading OSM data for ScenProc, this might take some time, please wait...
If OSM server rejects our request due to too many requests, will keep trying until successful."

If you run the "build for ESP" step by itself, it does not use the previously downloaded data and no tile results. So far, I can only generate a tile by re-running all 5 steps.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to rebuild a tile using only the "build for ESP" step?

2. If I need to run all 5 steps to rebuild a P3D tile - as appears to be the case - is there a way to force the program to re-use the existing OSM data, or is in an intrinsic part of this modified Ortho4XP version that the ESP build requires fresh OSM data each time a tile is built?

Note that I am not trying to use Scenproc to generate overlays, rather I am just trying to rebuild basic ortho tiles after post-processing the existing bmps. As per my previous notes, this works for me but is very slow and places unnecessary stress on the OSM servers when rebuilding large areas. 

Sorry I've disappeared guys. Been extremely busy with work.

Yes. After you have "assembled vector data" and "triangulated 3D mesh", subsequent runs can be done with just "draw water masks" (optional) and "build imagery/dsf" (not optional), as well as the "build for esp" step (not optional, or it will build for xplane).

However, you are correct. I did not implement recycling of the OSM data that is used for Scenproc. I will add this, good idea.

Edited by kjjj11223344

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

On 3/2/2021 at 3:31 PM, Fernando81 said:

Hello everybody. I'm from Brazil, so please forgive my poor English. 

I love Ortho for P3d. Thanks for this.

I made a scenerio from Brazil, and everything went well. The only problem is that, I can't get those line on the coast. Can anybody help me ? Please please please....

The photos bellow...

https://www.imagemhost.com.br/image/zQPfC

https://www.imagemhost.com.br/image/zQNZB

Unfortunately, if the underlying vector data for fsx is wrong, it will not align with the generated photoscenery. You should take a look at a vector addon.

Alfredo Terrero

On 9/11/2020 at 4:46 AM, Polaris said:

After reading all the thread, learning the different tutorials, venturing into XP forum related posts and testing the program I've come to the conclusion that at its current state it is not a useful tool for P3D VFR scenery.

It is a wonderful adaptation by the author and such that should make him proud.

It also has a lot of potential.

But, the following issues are in its way:

1. Tile size in volume is far too big to be used in large areas in P3D when compared to XP generated tiles.

ZL16 is kind of acceptable at apt_smoothing_pix 8 but...when you go for ZL 17/18 each tile weighs above 10 GB.

Add a few and it's way too heavy/ slow for P3D...or to generate them.

2. Custom ZL - adding higher resolution ZL to lower one around airports and such doesn't work (planned to be WIP by OP).

3. Missing information within tiles.
After a couple of hours you find out that some data is missing and it's being replaced by white color.
It is unclear as to the cause and it also renders the tile as damaged.

4. Software doesn't fix data of one source with another (BI clouds with GO2 or better resolution etc...).
Bottom line: while the conversion can make tiles it lacks the adaptations that it has in XP and which makes it so valuable there.

I do think the autogen feature is nice but not the main issue of this software and maybe one should look for solutions outside of this scope or with other tools.

I'm happy to see the OP is still planning to further develop this tool and I would sure be happy to use it...when and if it shall be able to make proper usable VFR P3D tiles.

One thing is for sure..if and when this tool shall be complete I do not see any reason to pay these large sums of money for ORBX.

The delta in what you get shall not justify its cost.

But...if and when...

Thanks for the feedback :).

In regards to 1), this is unfortunately the nature of photoscenery in fsx/p3d. If you generate the same size photo scenery with FSET with 0% compression, you will get the same file sizes. A solution is to allow users to specify the amount of compression for resample to use, which is something I have planned to implement.

Resample.exe is very slow - again, nothing I can really do about this, and I agree that creating scenery for XP is much, much faster. However, having a beefy multi core machine should speed things up, as you can specify how many resample instances to launch at once.

In regards to 3) - Ortho4xp replaces tiles where it can't find Ortho daat with white. It should do the same thing with xplane as well. It is the way Oscar (the original author of ortho4xp() programmed it. I believe there is an option to change this within the GUI, but I have never used it, nor know what the implications are for the generated bgl's.

Alfredo Terrero

9 hours ago, kjjj11223344 said:

Sorry I've disappeared guys. Been extremely busy with work.

Yes. After you have "assembled vector data" and "triangulated 3D mesh", subsequent runs can be done with just "draw water masks" (optional) and "build imagery/dsf" (not optional), as well as the "build for esp" step (not optional, or it will build for xplane).

However, you are correct. I did not implement recycling of the OSM data that is used for Scenproc. I will add this, good idea.

Thanks for the input, kj. That’s an amazingly useful mod you’ve made to Oscar’s tool - thanks so much!

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Thanks for the input, kj. That’s an amazingly useful mod you’ve made to Oscar’s tool - thanks so much!

Glad you guys enjoy it :).

Alfredo Terrero