Sign in to follow this  
Copper.

We can't let the freight haulers have all the fun!

Hello ladies and gents

(copy and paste of my previous post) 

[PMDG 747-8 i/F is a Work In Progress]

The 748i is an absolute dream to fly manually! I would have a field day doing Cessna type VFR roam flying in it under manual control. In the short time I tested it today, I hand flew it as much as I practically could. I had no problems flying with autothrottle and autopilot disengaged on the Approach in VMC and low workload conditions.

I needed to do a few base circuits to get used to it as she is her own character because as Carl says, this bird is a mix of old and new. It is strangely familiar, but also so acutely different. You do feel in command of a 747, but that slight (not 100%) feeling you’re in command of a 777/787.

The 8i has a roughly 45tonne (99.2k lb)/27tonne (59.5k lbs) mtow/mlw difference from the -400 meaning performance, even off long runways, needs careful attention. Environmental conditions and airplane condition on takeoff need careful attention at the high gross weight end of the spectrum. Queue PMDG’s Onboard Performance Toolbox (OPT) via the onboard EFB.

Having the EFB and the ACARS adds another dimension to aircraft operation which adds time. Of course, if like me, and you just want to get in and fly, you can absolutely do that! If you want to play airline pilot and use all the bells and whistles to their fullest extent, you can do that too!

Not wishing to hype this aircraft up, but there is in fact a hidden magic to it, and it is absolutely and surprisingly marvellous. Boeing themselves have done an incredible job in retaining commonality with the ol’ faithful Queen of the Skies (-400) whilst simultaneously invigorating it with avionics that puts it on par with her more contemporary and modern family members. Need a simple but extremely effective example?

The eCL’s or, electronic checklists - For those that operate the PMDG 777, you are no stranger to this. But to those of us who don’t, this function is a godsend. So simple, and not new, but so intuitive and very effective.

You can see why, for so long, the 747 is traditionally considered the pinnacle of aviation. Because, even in the sim, as graceful as she is, you do get the sense of her weight and imposing geometry. Mistreat things, and there will be consequences - she is just too big to be a lazy and reactive pilot. Only the sharpest and dedicated of the pilot group will do for this bird. No exceptions.

PMDG in my opinion, have of course done us a tremendous service and have represented the Queen, in this context meaning the 748, faithfully.

1_Copy.jpg

2_Copy.jpg

3_Copy.jpg

4_Copy.jpg

5_Copy.jpg

6_Copy.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Brian Nellis

A common lunch time sight in the skies over the bay area peninsula. Yeah, I gots to have for that reason. And that reason alone. 🙂

Edited by FunknNasty

But... WE DO HAVE MORE FUN- non tourist destinations AND the back doesn’t whine!

😉

C

• Like 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

2 hours ago, lasnubes said:

But... WE DO HAVE MORE FUN- non tourist destinations AND the back doesn’t whine!

😉

C

..and you can pilot in your T-shirt and PJ bottoms.👌

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

And finally, for my final contribution, Part 2... my arrival to Hong Kong, into a healthy 32 degrees C with a bit of scattered cloud at 3000ft. Enjoy!

1_Copy.jpg

2_Copy.jpg

3_Copy.jpg

4_Copy.jpg

5_Copy.jpg

7_Copy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Brian Nellis

Very nice, cheers...now GIMME!

spacer.png

WOW..... She´s so sexy^^! The Lufthansa livery is perfect for this beauty

18 minutes ago, maukro_1990 said:

WOW..... She´s so sexy^^! The Lufthansa livery is perfect for this beauty

Definitely started to put some images together over the weekend with the different liveries, and then noticed someone else posted some. Still not a fan of the golden yellow being dropped (nearly) entirely, but...it doesn't look bad.

Back to GFO work for me!

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

54 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Definitely started to put some images together over the weekend with the different liveries, and then noticed someone else posted some. Still not a fan of the golden yellow being dropped (nearly) entirely, but...it doesn't look bad.

Back to GFO work for me!

Post them up; Would love to see them! Actually, seeing the other chap’s photos encouraged me to improve sim looks. I have been messing with PTA since I saw Carl’s awesome photos.

im trying to get the balance right. Night lighting is what I’m concentrated on at the moment.

Brian Nellis

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Back to GFO work for me!

Kyle, i would love to see your pics about this beauty in Lufthansa livery, too! A video, maybe ;).... ok, i shut up now^^. 

4 hours ago, Copper. said:

And finally, for my final contribution, Part 2... my arrival to Hong Kong, into a healthy 32 degrees C with a bit of scattered cloud at 3000ft. Enjoy!

1_Copy.jpg

2_Copy.jpg

3_Copy.jpg

4_Copy.jpg

5_Copy.jpg

7_Copy.jpg

It is soooo mouth watering!!! Really^^

Wonderful Lufthansa paint and waiting anxious for fly with 748! Nice screenshots! Congrats!