Sign in to follow this  
SimonC

How to for multiple monitors

Hello,

ever since I simmed, I had a main screen for FS and a secondary screen for charts/apps/etc.

Now I got myself 3 identical screens (1440p), mostly for work, and I can still use the sim-setup as a middle screen for FS and rest for whatever.

But if I stretch the sim across 3 monitors and push it to full screen, my GPU (1080TI) virtually crumbles.

So, what do I need to keep up with the need (I assume more GPUs)? Specifically: how many, a 2nd, two more (since there are 3 screens total)? And how do they have to be configured?

Thanks.

Simonc,

Can you please let us know what FS platform you are you are using. 

Generally though, you should be able to just connect your monitor/s to a single GPU and configure them through the Desktop ... right click on a clear space on your desktop ... click on screen resolution. I do not think you can operate them in full screen mode though as when I do that my multiple GPUs go haywire too.

It might also be helpful if you can give us some more detail on what you are trying to achieve.

If you are simply wanting to add extra pop up panels to your third screen then you can simply create a new desired panel/s and undock them then move them to where you want them ALWAYS bearing in mind that you WILL suffer significant Frame Rate loss with your third or subsequent screens.

To simplify things you simply duplicate what you did to work with two screens, but, I believe that you cannot do this in full screen mode. XPlane is a different system altogether.

Regards

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

8 hours ago, SimonC said:

But if I stretch the sim across 3 monitors and push it to full screen, my GPU (1080TI) virtually crumbles.

So, what do I need to keep up with the need (I assume more GPUs)? Specifically: how many, a 2nd, two more (since there are 3 screens total)?

I think you need to reign in your expectations, I doubt you will get acceptable performance under any circumstances with three 1440p monitors. If you were to run them at 1080p you'd have a chance. Perhaps throwing an extra GPU at it makes a difference, but the sim still has to calculate the projections of everything you see. Maybe you have a super-computer, so YMMV. Then you have to choose between a three-srceen array with nvidia Surround or three separate views. The latter has a performance hit but looks better. In my experience it works well in P3D and X-Plane but it's an ordeal to do in FSX. Separate views (best using View Groups in P3D) would let you mix resolutions, so you could run 1440p on the centre and 1080p on the left and right views, which might be more realistic (but still not very) for performance.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

See if turning off any external  frame rate limiters (NVidia Inspector, etc) helps.  It fixed a similar issue for me.  

Edited by Matt Webb

Matt Webb

Maybe it came out wrong, but I do understand what pressure it is 7680x1440 for GTX1080TI.

My general usage will be middle screen for the sim, and left/right for the charts, VATSIM apps etc.

However, possibly for pure VFR enjoyment in 3-screen mode, I would want acceptable performance (30fps+ in FSL A320 for instance), I do wonder if it's possible?

Why am I asking? Because my CPU is doing OK, and I am merely limited by the GPU. The more I stretch the screen, the more GPU usage, obviously.

So my thoughts are simple: what is needed so that GPU does NOT peak at 100% for a (digital) resolution of 7680x1440? Would a 2nd GTX1080TI in SLI cover it? Is it possible to have one view but run it off the multiple card(s)? 3 GPUs, each display one GPU, but still have it spanned over 3 screens?

Specs aren't that bad: i6700K@4.8, 32GB RAM 3600Mhz/CL16, Samsung 970 EVO, and a single GTX1080TI.

Platform is P3Dv4.3 with all the usual software, FSL/PMDG/Majestic, ActiveSky, Aivlasoft EFB, Navigraph Charts, REX, sceneries from FT/FSDT/AS... a loaded sim-platform, well performing and without a glitch really. Up until now single-screened.

25 minutes ago, Matt Webb said:

See if turning off any external  frame rate limiters (NVidia Inspector, etc) helps.  It fixed a similar issue for me.  

Indeed I am using NI to limit to 30,5fps. I will try without - thank you.

Ha, I see what's killing it. Actually, it's not NI, the 30,5 setting has no impact whatsoever (except limiting to 30,5).

But, I was testing at night.

Seemingly, doing it at day, I see no such impact. Sure, it goes up from about 40% usage (single screen, 2x SSAA) to some 70%, but that's about it.

But at night, it starts at same 40%, but goes to 100% and FPS drops from 30 to 25. Not even turning on any lights, like landing, taxi... (DL). Turning on DL drops to 15fps.

So, is it possible to achieve say 70% GPU usage, on all 3 screens, with DL on (in FSL A320) and 8x MSAA (this is what I get with a single screen)?

Edited by SimonC

Nope. But I guess default aircraft landing lights ain't as near as heavy on performance as FSL ones are. Point being is not how they perform, but rather if it's there a system that could cope with it.

Use one wide view instead of multiple views as that drags down the framerate a lot.

LM has fixed the fisheye effect when using multi monitor views .

See :

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0