Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Using Xplane11, the fun is growing

2 hours ago, RocketDuck said:

What really bothers me is the lack of "life" in XP. The world and airports just feels so empty, and any progress in that area by LR are painstakingly slow. 

Nothing stopping anyone from getting WED and updating airports adding road traffic, its fun when you do the first one.

2 hours ago, zmak said:

didnt have thousands spent in FSX S

And if you keep spending more, its just more to cry over and leess to spend on XPLAne. Had over $3000 of addons for FSX, all deleted thrown away gone removed. XPLANE only now.

12 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Nothing stopping anyone from getting WED and updating airports adding road traffic, its fun when you do the first one.

And if you keep spending more, its just more to cry over and leess to spend on XPLAne. Had over $3000 of addons for FSX, all deleted thrown away gone removed. XPLANE only now.

I actually put the brakes on months ago because I know its dead money. FSXse with DX10 fixer running like a dream and very very rarely get an oom with pmdg and heavy ad on airports eg ORBX YBBN YMML etc

BUT I cant hold on to 32 bit forever. I want xp11 badly but just not yet. Im ok for a couple of years waiting and I can then update my machine to the latest much faster hardware with purpose 😀

Edited by zmak

ZORAN

1 hour ago, mjrhealth said:

I've already done that, but with 2 small children I'm lucky if i get an hour in the evenings, and by that time I'm nackered and just want to fly. But i agree that WED is kind of addictive once you get the hang of it.

And WED can't solve my biggest gripe with XP, which is the AI/ATC.... Maybe just some more voices that are more believable would make it work for now. It doesn't take much to make it better :-)

9 hours ago, RocketDuck said:

I think LR should build on their success and publish a roadmap (without dates) stating in which order features will be added or current features fixed. If I knew that they would overhaul AI in the version 11 run, I would probably buy more addons, and if just half the users feel the same way, it would generate revenue for developers and they would be more interested in coming to the platform... Just my 2 cents 🙂

There are roadmaps published at intervals, the best way to keep track is to follow the dev blog:

https://developer.x-plane.com/blog/

And in fact, a recent post is about the current roadmap, although apparently some of it is in a video that is still being edited:

https://developer.x-plane.com/2018/06/an-x-plane-road-map-from-flightsimexpo/

There is a lot of great stuff mentioned, unfortunately nothing yet about AI and ATC. We know from Austin's earlier posts that they're working to improve it, but no progress or timelines mentioned yet.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Here's a dev blog post from January 2018, soliciting feedback on how to make ATC better (which has an impact on AI too, of course). Nothing concrete here, but at least we know it's something they're taking seriously that needs major improvement:

https://developer.x-plane.com/2018/01/what-would-make-the-atc-system-better/

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Speaking of AF2 (if only in parentheses), their next update will include a 'Vulkan' addition.  Since it's been touted as an upcoming addition to XP, it'll be interesting to see what's offered.

I'm really looking fwd into the work Austin is at for 11.30

Austin is really dedicated to make various aspects of the flight dynamics, from fixed wing prop / jet aircraft to rotaries even closer to real than they presently can be made.

He's at stuff like restoring the effects of VRS and other fancy effects present in helos, but also into giving us a more plausible prop model, etc...

He says 11.30 will not be perfect, for sure, but it will certainly be a LOT better than what we already have now.

Meanwhile, I am so so so enjoying IL2 BoX 3.005 release, with my "new" WW1 kites :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

13 hours ago, Paraffin said:

And in fact, a recent post is about the current roadmap, although apparently some of it is in a video that is still being edited:

https://developer.x-plane.com/2018/06/an-x-plane-road-map-from-flightsimexpo/

I've seen the blog, and kudos to Ben Supnik for sharing the insights, and thank you Paraffin for sharing the links. I don't really know any other developer that is doing that. What I'm missing though is more of a roadmap for the entire XP11 run. But i guess I shouldn't complain, at least we are getting some info from LR 🙂

Has anyone heard something about the results of the blog post from January regarding ATC? I hope they do a complete rewrite of the ATC/AI system, or at least open it up for 3rd party developers to do their magic.. Fingers crossed 🤞

On 7/19/2018 at 6:51 AM, Bjoern said:

It sometimes crashes for unfathomable reasons (no log or Windows Event Log entries given),

X-Plane ALWAYS creates a crash log.  100% of the time.  It's what developers use to diagnose any problems, and was specifically put in for that reason.  However, it does get overwritten as soon as you load X Plane again.  If you decide to load it up again and it crashes, again, post the log in here and someone can take a look for you.

20 hours ago, zmak said:

I actually put the brakes on months ago because I know its dead money. FSXse with DX10 fixer running like a dream and very very rarely get an oom with pmdg and heavy ad on airports eg ORBX YBBN YMML etc

BUT I cant hold on to 32 bit forever. I want xp11 badly but just not yet. Im ok for a couple of years waiting and I can then update my machine to the latest much faster hardware with purpose 😀

X-Plane is dead money?? 
I remember a well known FSX dev saying that exact same thing a few years ago.  He now creates payware scenery for X-Plane.

1 minute ago, GoranM said:

X-Plane is dead money?? 
I remember a well known FSX dev saying that exact same thing a few years ago.  He now creates payware scenery for X-Plane.

I replied to this

"And if you keep spending more, its just more to cry over and leess to spend on XPLAne "

ZORAN

There are things I miss from P3D. I miss my wonderful A2A aircraft, but there are some excellent aircraft for XP now as well. I miss ActiveSky weather, but hear it is coming for XP. I miss ATC, even at the dumbed down level of FSX/P3D, and hope for improvement there. But, even though I have almost every Orbx product and many, many other addons for P3D, I much prefer XP, both for flight dynamics (even with some glaring problems that Austin has created and won’t admit) and for the realistic feel of the environment. 

I built a new computer this summer. FSX/P3D isn’t on it, and isn’t going to be. 

Still an excellent GA flight sim, nothing new to see here...

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Griphos said:

(even with some glaring problems that Austin has created and won’t admit) 

I have good reasons to believe 11.30 will be a game changer in this respect. Austin is hard working to bring new effects, fine tune others, correct some of the infamous bugs / limitations.

I look fwd for 11.30, hopefully until the end of Summer 2018.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...