Sign in to follow this  
Jyrki Keisala

How to bypass an ATC-assigned STAR?

I think this was a bit of an overkill:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv77dfsa1e8g543/Capture.PNG?dl=0

I would've liked to fly direct from CCV to OMRIE, ie. bypassing the DRONE2 STAR at KORF completely, effectively flying to CCV and then a straight-in RNAV approach to RW23.  Is this possible while-flying, without unchecking the "ATC assigns STARs" from the config?

You need to set up a flight plan before you start the flight and if a STAR makes it seem crazy as in this case, then turn off the ATC assigns STARs button before you file.  Otherwise the program will attempt to insert a STAR.  It does try to not assign these out of the way STARs, but program logic can only go so far and is never better than the human eye.

Dave

Yes but how can I do the planning beforehand - for most big airports, different STARs are for different runway arrivals, and the arrival runway is not known beforehand. I've had numerous occasions where P2A has changed the arrival runway from my plan, during the flight.

You can do the planning to decide if a STAR makes sense and then leave the ATC Assigns STAR checked our unchecked.  Then if the winds change, you'll get a new runway with or without a STAR, depending on what you check.  

I normally just leave the STAR option checked and almost never have a problem.  Even if the arrival is drawn like your example, ATC figures out to give me vectors to final before all the out of the way flying.  That won't be true 100% of the time, but it is 95+% of the time.

Well, I was then just unlucky to stumble to the remaining 5%.  I also expected vectors, no such luck. You may want to check your code for that - I would think it's safe to assume the ATC will give vectors, if the amount of turn required at a certain point in the plan is way over 90 degrees, as was in my case yesterday (at two points, specifically).

I was able to find a glitch in the logic that let DRONE2 be chosen for an arrival from the North.  In the next version it will choose TERKS2 with the MOL transition and bring you in from the WEST if you choose to fly a STAR.  

Thanks,

Dave

Slightly better but far from optimal as that will introduce a huge loop to a short route.  It maybe best then for me to just uncheck the STAR option in P2A, as none of the STARs make any sense when arriving from NORTH.  (Could the reason be that in real life, KORF doesn't get jetplane arrivals from the north, that's why there are no STARs for north arrivals?)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv77dfsa1e8g543/Capture.PNG?dl=0