Sign in to follow this  
GooseAvation

Envtex vs Rex Texture Direct + Envshade vs PTA

Hello all!

I own Rex Texture Direct and was showing minor interest in the Envtex program. Are the textures better than Rex offers? Is it worth the pricetag compared to Rex?

I recently removed Tomatoshade from my sim becuase I believe it had a major performance hit without too much benefit. I was looking at Envshade and PTA as the alternatives. Which one of these programs is "better." I know envshade is a one-click shader tool and PTA requires some tweaking, but I want my sim to really look good. 

Thanks

Goose

Hello,

ENVTEX has the advantage to work with ASP3D4 and ASCAs Global Automatic mode.

But I'm not sure if this could als be achieved with REX Textures, I do not think so, but I'm not sure. Loosing the Global Automatic mode would be a big loss. I really like the textures from ENVTEX but that is maybe also in the eye of the beholder.

ENVSHADE does not have a performance drop here and does look very nice. But also, that is sth. I can't say for your taste. I have played a lot with PTA, but in the end, ENVSHADE looks the most natural for me. Shure, ith PTA you achieve much more dramatic and cineastic effects. But you will end up tweaking days and days 😉

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in a similar boat as OP.

I'm contemplating for days now and can't decide whether to go with REX Sky Force + PTA or ENVTEX + ENVSHADE. I'm a long long time REX user, I think their clouds are superb. I also have Active Sky and ASCA but I don't find ASCA clouds on the same level.

Since REX is "in the business" of making cloud textures for many years I'm wondering if ENVTEX clouds can be of the same quality and variety as those from REX? Are they?

Regarding shaders I like simple and realistic. That's why I like the philosophy of ENVSHADE.. one preset that works. But after looking at some Youtube videos of it I find it kinda pale and blueish. I'm not sure is that just on video and it looks better in simulator?

I’m using asp4 + asca + Rex skyforce. 

I love the results! 

There is a good thread in the hints an tips section about setting all that up. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

At the moment I feel Sky Force offers the best textures but Envtex are in the works of releasing SP2 which judging from the previews includes better cloud textures and probably other improvements, so I would definitely wait before making a decision.

On 7/16/2018 at 12:11 AM, GooseAvation said:

Hello all!

I own Rex Texture Direct and was showing minor interest in the Envtex program. Are the textures better than Rex offers? Is it worth the pricetag compared to Rex?

I recently removed Tomatoshade from my sim becuase I believe it had a major performance hit without too much benefit. I was looking at Envshade and PTA as the alternatives. Which one of these programs is "better." I know envshade is a one-click shader tool and PTA requires some tweaking, but I want my sim to really look good. 

Thanks

Goose

When it comes to WEATHER, If you want your sim to really "look" good, don't walk, run and get REX Soft Clouds, download KIWI sky textures with sun mods, buy PTA and check out one of Gerard's presets. If you want the best weather generator ever made, add ASP4 to your sim. Those addons will make your sim LOOK awesome!

The problem with weather addons is that there are too many of them, some over priced, and THAT leaves users confused and broke.

Example: Please HiFi, combine your ASP4 & ASCA into one simple UI. THANK YOU!

Too many weather addons for P3D also lead to threads like this one every other week.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.