Sign in to follow this  
msiipola

Always good reviews

I'm returning to flight simulators after flying fs2004/fsx 10 years ago. In order to get updated on what addons are available, I have looked at many reviews on youtube. I notice there are some reviewers who almost always gives very good opinions. Like 10 of 10 possible points and such. Nothing can be so good. Meaning there are nothing to improve. I consider these reviews are more like advertisements, then honest reviews.

I don't lend much credence to the opinions of most flight sim YouTubers/vloggers, despite some in the community holding them up as demigods I consider many to be lacking knowledge in what they're reviewing because I can pick mistakes/errors in what they say. I'm old fashioned, I like a written reviews such as Mutley's Hangar.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Best reviews are from customer users here on AVSIM. They'll be asking questions about issues that they encounter with a product giving me a good feel for quality.

Vic green

They dont bite the hand that feed them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I wrote one review of a payware aircraft many years ago.  I was not invited to write any further reviews as my review pointed out some flaws.  Yep, shouldn't bite the hand that feeds.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

2 minutes ago, stans said:

I wrote one review of a payware aircraft many years ago.  I was not invited to write any further reviews as my review pointed out some flaws.  Yep, shouldn't bite the hand that feeds.

...which makes such reviews essentially worthless to the prospective customer. Because of this problem with reviews I include a scan of the product's user forum as part of my pre-purchase research.

I would love to see a review vlog or website that buys the addons and reviews them with somebody with time on the airplane being reviewed.  What is the point of a rewiew where the person doing the review is not qualified.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Yes it's a problem. Who do you trust?

I would be nice to have a list of trusted reviewers, but it would be difficult to make a such list, because who shall judge a reviewer is honest?

6 hours ago, msiipola said:

Yes it's a problem. Who do you trust?

I would be nice to have a list of trusted reviewers, but it would be difficult to make a such list, because who shall judge a reviewer is honest?

Is it dishonesty or just not having enough knowledge to have confidence in a negative opinion.  If your going to call something out as wrong in a review you would need to know for certain that the developer is wrong or cut corners.  

This is is why I was saying bringing in the help of a typed pilot... that would be somebody with the background to know good from bad and knowledge to back a negative opinion

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I fyo9u are returning after a 10 year absence virtually every addon you have is probably obsolete. I'll give you one short review. X-plane 11 is spectacular right out of the box!