Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

VULKAN for Prepar3D v5?

You can absolutely tell with high probability this will happen.  LM does incremental steps to allow time for developers to adopt.  PBR got added in 4.4.  I do wonder what is next - maybe Prepar3d v4 goes all the way till 4.8 before v5 comes or we get v5 next year.  2 releases per year that is the norm (every 6 months approx).

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I’be got a doubt: if LM implements Vulkan, the compatibility with add ons like pmdg remains, right?

One more thing, in Rob’s video Vulkan has got worse performance than OpenGL, could is it a bug of AFS2?

Just now, BrucoGianluco05 said:

One more thing, in Rob’s video Vulkan has got worse performance than OpenGL, could is it a bug of AFS2?

Vulkan was still in very early beta at that time.....

After several Aerofly updates (many of them stealth updates with no changelog) Vulkan is actually faster than OpenGL for me at this point.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks, I were in doubt for it 

19 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Vulkan was still in very early beta at that time.....

After several Aerofly updates (many of them stealth updates with no changelog) Vulkan is actually faster than OpenGL for me at this point.

I run AFS2 under Vulkan/Windows 7 exclusively these days - great performance!

It’s a shame, but I suspect LM will follow the route to DirectX 12 rather than Vulkan. It would have been nice to anticipate finally breaking away from a dependency on all things Microsoft.

Mike

I see stuff that says something like:

"out of the 50,000 respondents to our survey, more than 50% now have a DX12 capable GPU! And so we are looking to move onto VULCAN with our OGL product as soon as possible".

The thing to note is that newer GPUs not only have enhancements for DX but also the codebase of VULCAN is also being included in the design requirements.

Historically It's all due to a well organised marriage of big technology leaders more or less borne from the march of MS Windows, but there's changes ahead.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I think we will see DX12 and eventually Ray tracing taking place.

So all those users still using Windows 7, be aware, you will need to move to Windows 10 or above.

We all need to leave the old ways one way or another to see new amazing things coming over.

Regards 

S.

Edited by simbol
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

"stealth updates"?  I'll retest again, I'm not aware of any "stealth updates" since my last test with AF2.

Graphics API's are NOT always about performance increases, they're about limiting performance decreases with added visual fidelity.  Vulkan brought about a better visual experience (less the flickering buildings in SLI mode) with better lighting and more defined crisp shadow quality.

Just as Ray Tracing does NOT improve performance, in fact, FPS will drop when used, but it does provide a much better visual experience.

As much as I love Apple's OSX for desktop computers, I can't imagine it being mainstream for several reasons ... they are more expensive, they are bound to Apple's hardware support meaning getting hardware updates is less frequent and more expensive (just ask Mac Pro owners, myself included).  Then we have Linux, which is great for power users but your average computer user isn't going to want to get involved in the Million and 1 ways you can shoot yourself in the foot when installing Linux and working with Linux ... not to mention driver support is not as frequently updated.

If you look at world wide market share: http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide/

70% Windows, 12% OSX and 1.5% Linux ... US numbers alone 81% Windows.

DX12 is the better API when it comes to multiple GPUs which is what Ray Tracing needs for 60 FPS in 4K and/or VR.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: and like it or not, Ray Tracing is where we're heading both at a software and hardware level ... and this is a good thing

29 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

"stealth updates"?  I'll retest again, I'm not aware of any "stealth updates" since my last test with AF2.

Yah, they are often very tiny. Just a flicker while the game is loading up on Steam, and easy to miss. People who do notice and ask ipacs whats up are always told they are just small fixes for this and that, and that's why no changelog.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Is this thread still going? Vulkan is the successor to Open GL and only provides an advantage to a developer if the game is designed for both Linux and Windows. That's why there are hardly any Vulkan-based games 3 years after its initial release. Almost all game developers are focused on consoles and smartphones. Games are also ported to Windows. But rarely is Linux a target OS. That's why if a game is being ported to the desktop, it will most likely be designed solely for Windows. Unless LM is thinking of a Linux version of P3d, there is no performance advantage of Vulkan over DX12.

11 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Is this thread still going? Vulkan is the successor to Open GL and only provides an advantage to a developer if the game is designed for both Linux and Windows. 

You can factor in the Mac OS, where Vulcan is available, too, and which I think has a somewhat larger user base than Linux. Still, Macs are not typically used for gaming.

But at second thought, don't most of our phones run Linux (in the Android flavor)? So this would open a huge market. "Prepar3d on your Smartphone" (R) for 6.99 $ -  that's it. Entertainment use excluded, of course.

Joking aside, I can hardly imagine, LM going cross-platform, why should they. XP is another story, as it originated from the Mac.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I could see LM producing a Linux version, but it would probably be marketed to the US military and US allies. The Mac OS X is Unix and has been certified as such, with the exception of a few versions.

Edited by jabloomf1230

5 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The Mac OS X is Unix and has been certified as such, with the exception of a few versions.

Ah yes. Seemingly there's indeed only Windows and Linux left and you're right.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11