Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Pinnacle landing - Here's one thing to try in the simulator.

Kudos to the pilots.

• Like 4

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

The Army/Army Guard doesn't do "Top Gun" and most CH-47 crews could do this, regardless good job on the crew and sad my bird (UH-60) had to turn the mission over to the Chinook.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2018 at 5:09 PM, Skywolf said:

I can't believe this for real.

What a stunning video.  Wow.

These pilots are "Top Gun" helicopter pilots.  What crazy epic skills they have!!!!  

Yep Top Gun in my book to.

• Like 1

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

17 hours ago, Victory103 said:

The Army/Army Guard doesn't do "Top Gun" and most CH-47 crews could do this, regardless good job on the crew and sad my bird (UH-60) had to turn the mission over to the Chinook.

Outstanding flying skills even if considered the norm for most crews. 

• Like 1

Hats off and a huge Salute to the crew.

Captain to First Officer: " I didn't say it was your fault I am just blaming you " 

Saw that over on pprune, amazing skills. Apparently they do this fairly often in Afghanistan.

The trick with duplicating it in the sim would be the camera view, since you wouldn't have crew directing the approach from the ramp. Simulating that view with the camera wouldn't work because your cyclic input would look reversed. I would probably cheat, and just use an external view from behind and above.

Or maybe not much of a cheat at all -- looks like the National Guard CH47's are getting upgraded with fancier cockpit tech, including drone viewing screens. So call it a drone view:

https://www.cnet.com/news/new-chinooks-boast-autopilot-features-but-best-tech-may-be-yet-to-come/

And then in the sim, you'd have to hope that crash detection or 3D clipping into the terrain wouldn't kick in before you got a good screen shot. 🙂

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor