Sign in to follow this  
morrisr

oculus rift

Hi there

Is there anyone out there who is using VR with pmdg 737 in p3d 4.3 update.??????

Me too, but immediately switched back to flyinside because P3D vanilla VR support doesn’t run smooth enough on my PC. So far now issues.

pmdg 747, 777, fsl320 etc. all run smooth using p3dv4 native vr if oculus tray is used with asw=off.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I use it regularly with PMDG and for the first time have stopped using FlyInside. There are a few trade-offs but I like the ability to bounce back and forth between VR and monitor. The pop up windows now work although not as good as FI and they have zoom now.

Bottom line running native VR in single pass mode with Oculus debug tool launched and ASW disabled with a PD = 1.7 runs well for me!

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

I have been using native VR since P3D 4.1 at least. Being able to switch to 2D during longer cruises is for me a must-have. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I won’t stop using flyinside because it’s the only way to bring approach charts into the v r environment. Plus I like the interface.

Daniel Rosso: ATP Single and Multi-Engine: B757 B767 BAE-ATP DA-50 DA-20 CE-650 CE-560-XL CE-525S DO-228: Flight Instructor Single and Multiengine Airplane Gold Seal:  Ground Instructor Advanced and Instrument: Remote Pilot SUAS

9 hours ago, AccusedChip said:

I won’t stop using flyinside because it’s the only way to bring approach charts into the v r environment. Plus I like the interface.

No, it is not. If you have the Rift you can do it much more efficiently using the native Oculus software.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

15 hours ago, GCBraun said:

No, it is not. If you have the Rift you can do it much more efficiently using the native Oculus software.

You need controllers or can you manipulate windows in native with a mouse?

8 hours ago, glider1 said:

You need controllers or can you manipulate windows in native with a mouse?

You use the native VR controllers. In XP11 it works even better, because you can actually control the aircraft and interact with itst switches/knobs using the controllers, so you don't really need your mouse for anything. Hopefully P3D will adopt this strategy as well.

Regardless, I still find the native solution from Oculus Dash a much better and performant way to bring 2D windows into the cockpit.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GCBraun said:

You use the native VR controllers. In XP11 it works even better, because you can actually control the aircraft and interact with itst switches/knobs using the controllers, so you don't really need your mouse for anything. Hopefully P3D will adopt this strategy as well.

Regardless, I still find the native solution from Oculus Dash a much better and performant way to bring 2D windows into the cockpit.

Correct me if I’m wrong but you can’t open and close or minimize the window when you’re in P3D, correct? Do you have to exit back to Oculus Home to manipulate the window?

I’m interested in bringing a Little Navmap window but I believe it’s stays where you put it and can only be toggled on and off or interacted with from outside of P3D, am I mistaken?

Please elaborate on how exactly you select and interact with external windows brought into P3D.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, joepoway said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but you can’t open and close or minimize the window when you’re in P3D, correct? Do you have to exit back to Oculus Home to manipulate the window?

I’m interested in bringing a Little Navmap window but I believe it’s stays where you put it and can only be toggled on and off or interacted with from outside of P3D, am I mistaken?

Please elaborate on how exactly you select and interact with external windows brought into P3D.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Yes, you need to go back to the oculus interface to resize or reposition the window. This does not take more than 2 seconds, though. And if we are talking about charts or maps here, I am not sure why you would need to keep chenging the position of the window. I always try to position the 2D window somewhere around where I would expect an EFB to be positioned.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Upvote 1

@GCBraun,

Thanks for being one of the first that uses Oculus Dash and VR windows. Do you think you lose any frames per second running with Dash instead of Classic Oculus Home? Can you scroll inside a VR window? Can you have a map and be able to pan it and zoom it?

I realize that you like the Touch controllers but there are some of who want nothing but joystick, throttle, and mouse - is it at all possible to set up a VR window without Touch - just mouse.

Thanks

Dave W.

Edited by whitav8

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

36 minutes ago, whitav8 said:

@GCBraun,

Thanks for being one of the first that uses Oculus Dash and VR windows. Do you think you lose any frames per second running with Dash instead of Classic Oculus Home? Can you scroll inside a VR window? Can you have a map and be able to pan it and zoom it?

There may very well be a performance impact if you have multiple windows, but, with just one, it is not something that I really notice. There are no performance loss just by using Oculus Dash.

As for scrolling or panning, you need to open the Oculus Dash to do that. This is a very good feature request and hopefully it will be available in the future.

Yes, a good question..........I want to use the mouse as well.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB