Sign in to follow this  
Ioan92

About that thread: P3D 4.1 CTD near Labrador [4.2 and 4.3 too]

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/526743-p3d-41-ctd-near-labrador/

I've read a bit on this thread and I'd like to inform whoever is trying to study this problem that the crashing isn't confined to westbound transatlantic flights neither is it bound by time. I've managed to get it both in the middle of Russia, near Vorkuta and near the international date line. Sometimes within one hour of each other. I've posted a thread on the P3D support forums so feel free to pitch in and help us all find the culprit with this issue.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=130298

Cheers o/

Edited by Ioan92

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Your post mentions P3D 4.1.  Have you considered installing the 4.3 update?  I can get a crash also if I do not launch P3D on a fresh boot, especially if I have previously run any graphics intensive sims like Xplane11, or No Limits Coaster 2.  That is where I would start, 4.3 update, clean boot, then fly.  If I factor in the approx 100 hours I've spent on P3D, give or take I have had maybe a handful of random crashes, not enough to disturb me, and always invoked if I've run another app just before running P3D.  I am on P3D 4.3, and it has not crashed once, except for what I am about to post, which will make simmers laugh at my foolishness.

John

5 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

Your post mentions P3D 4.1.  Have you considered installing the 4.3 update?  I can get a crash also if I do not launch P3D on a fresh boot, especially if I have previously run any graphics intensive sims like Xplane11, or No Limits Coaster 2.  That is where I would start, 4.3 update, clean boot, then fly.  If I factor in the approx 100 hours I've spent on P3D, give or take I have had maybe a handful of random crashes, not enough to disturb me, and always invoked if I've run another app just before running P3D.  I am on P3D 4.3, and it has not crashed once, except for what I am about to post, which will make simmers laugh at my foolishness.

John

The original post refers to 4.1 but I assure you the issue was present in 4.2 and still is alive and kicking into 4.3.

Should update the thread title to avoid further confusion.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

I'm wondering if you've taken note of both the local and UTC time when these crashes occur.  Is it near midnight either local or UTC in the local timezone or in the timezone you're crossing into?  IOW, would crossing into the next timezone result in changing the date in local or UTC time (forward or backward)?

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

5 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I'm wondering if you've taken note of both the local and UTC time when these crashes occur.  Is it near midnight either local or UTC in the local timezone or in the timezone you're crossing into?  IOW, would crossing into the next timezone result in changing the date in local or UTC time (forward or backward)?

Regards

Every single time I've gotten this error I've been caught with my pants down while I was away in the house, so I cannot provide this information. All I can vouch for is that the crash only occurs on westbound flights at some vaguely defined locations above russian airspace. The catch is that I've yet to fly a westerly transatlantic in P3D yet but I am ready to bet I will get the same ctd/ stackhash near labrador. I will try the restarting GSX tip in the old thread to see if it changes anything. Oddly enough, while GSX was bugged and you had to restart it to finish baggage loading I don't recall getting faults but this may be a long shot, as I didn't restart GSX on IAD-NRT which is a 14 hr flight that went flawlessly.

Something is probably messed up in the base scenery.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

One thing to suggest is fly this area in accelerated sim speed and then down to normal speed.  All fly all sorts of planes in these area by variety of users.  The more CTD found will help nail this bug....

I mean all sorts of flights - simple, complex planes etc.

Again just a suggestion....anyway my break is over, back to work

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I wonder if there's some sort of flight logger that could be used to track a flight and log some metrics so that place/time at least would be known.  Something that runs outside P3D, using FSUIPC to gather data for example, would be ideal, as it wouldn't crash with the sim.

Regards

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

53 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I wonder if there's some sort of flight logger that could be used to track a flight and log some metrics so that place/time at least would be known.  Something that runs outside P3D, using FSUIPC to gather data for example, would be ideal, as it wouldn't crash with the sim.

Regards

Good idea Bob..., FSUIPC has a useful logger that I used a while back to trap VAS leakage (glad those days are gone).  It should be easy to set it up to sample every minute providing the lat/lon and then later add other parameters as desired.  The file gets big if you sample too often, but that shouldn't be a problem for most users.

Dan Downs KCRP

The only potential issue with using FSUIPC's logger is that it is a DLL, so it dies with the sim in a crash, so the most useful recent data might be lost.

Another thought comes to mind as I ponder this (I've never actuially seen this problem here since I generally use QuantumLeap to beam myself ahead to somewhere close to the TOD): it seems these incidents are happening at high lattitudes--another potential issue might be something unhappy in the magnetic <-> true conversion math in locations close to the magnetic pole(s).

Regards

Just now, w6kd said:

The only potential issue with using FSUIPC's logger is that it is a DLL, so it dies with the sim in a crash, so the most useful recent data might be lost.

Another thought comes to mind as I ponder this (I've never actuially seen this problem here since I generally use QuantumLeap to beam myself ahead to somewhere close to the TOD): it seems these incidents are happening at high lattitudes--another potential issue might be something unhappy in the magnetic <-> true conversion math in locations close to the magnetic pole(s).

Regards

I think my ACARS program has a page showing present coordinates, I was however never inspired to take note of the last position it records. Next time it crashes I will take note and paste the location here.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

In  "Modules\FSUIPC Documents\Example LUA plugins"  there is a lua that will log what's needed up until the time of crash -- "record to csv.lua"
Would advise not to run it until close to the point of the known trouble area.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

I think the data that initially needs logged includes: position (lat/long), heading (true and mag), time (UTC and local), date (UTC and local), altitude, COM1/COM2 freq, wind (dir/speed), and outside air temp.

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

it is a DLL, so it dies with the sim in a crash, so the most useful recent data might be lost.

True, but it is writing the log file as the session progresses, it is not buffering so at the most you lose the last second or sample point.  It is easy to use which is why I thought of it, being lazy.

Dan Downs KCRP

I use IFPro to ascertain the root causes of CTDs and problem addons.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

ive always thought it was something to do with tijmezones

14ppkc-6.png