Sign in to follow this  
Ioan92

About that thread: P3D 4.1 CTD near Labrador [4.2 and 4.3 too]

16 GB here. 

Interesting find about the vector files.  Is it reproducible for Boeing or not going?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

So I have the latest GSX version that disables at 10k/250 knots. 

My sim just crashed at the AVUTI intersection going west. 

Back to square one.

This really sucks.

CTDs in P3D require a particular type of fault to start that off. If I had a CTD I would fly without .dlls and fancy gauges then put them back one at a time. That way I could finalise which it is and send the details to the dev. It's possible some other things can crash the sim but 99% it's going to be an add-in dll. I'm not talking about ntdll.dll and those system dlls, I'm talking about addon.dll. Check out the dll.xml files and start a process of elimination. Continued flying with a CTDing setup continues the CTD.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...also remember that we can see crashed with ntdll.dll and others but we 'know' that these are solid code and they just get brought down with a fault elsewhere.

And so we might find a 'fault' in a dll and that in turn could also be caused by another process that is the real cause of the crash. Don't be afraid to contact the dev and don't expect the faulty dll. to be necessarily the cause for the problem.

OK. So let's say we eliminate 'addon.dll' - and now look I don't get any more crashes! But we have not excluded \fancyairport\scenery. We might find the reverse too. We might exclude the airport and don't get the CTD that way. Now we have to test the dll against other airports and vice-versa. 

On 9/3/2018 at 10:49 PM, SteveW said:

...also remember that we can see crashed with ntdll.dll and others but we 'know' that these are solid code and they just get brought down with a fault elsewhere.

And so we might find a 'fault' in a dll and that in turn could also be caused by another process that is the real cause of the crash. Don't be afraid to contact the dev and don't expect the faulty dll. to be necessarily the cause for the problem.

This used to be the case with vpilot in versions fsx, P3D (before v4) where it would CTD and because vpilot was 'the last thing to go' the error log would say vpilot when it wasnt vpilot at all. It just thought it was because vpilot had nothing to connect too because the sim had crashed, it in turn crashed causing the error log. 

Id be very interested to see if its one of those vector files. 

I also get the CTD (unless I restart coutl) around the North Sea and also over Western Russia. Both areas have been reported before. 

Finally the other thing I've noticed is in event viewer coult comes under P3Dv4 along with ut2 live. 

Once you restart coult it jumps from being under P3Dv4 to being in the next block of applications running and isn't 'tied' to P3Dv4. Exe 

Edited by tooting
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

Yes it's always possible a glitch in scenery data will cause a CTD, also too high settings can do unexpected things like that.

Not all crashes can be detected very well by the system - we'll see stackhash sometimes as just the dump of the memory involved.

Scenery and data errors that crash the sim will crash the sim every time.

dlls run in the sim program by the sim program itself so if they go down, not necessarily every time, but if they do they certainly crash the sim to desktop.

An add-in dll might find trouble accessing certain resources and crash the sim like attempting to write to a read/write file in a readonly area (like the sim installed in Program Files for ex.) in those cases we give the User group Modify permission on that folder since we become members of the Users group when we log into Windows.

We can make a private folder to circumvent that issue but I don't recommend that as it can become a problem down the road as it's owned by the creator and not the system - leading to adjusting the UAC slider and all manner of other cludges - we can lose access to it completely or some installer/admins can't access it and an install fails quietly not realising there's missing files and so on and so forth.

Edited by SteveW

Can someone confirm if the new version of GSX needs to be restarted during taxi to stop the CTD. Many thanks 

14ppkc-6.png

Here's yet another crash location. PMDG 777, LFPG - KMSP. I have crashed twice in a row on this route. Latest GSX/Couatl. Restarted couatl before taking off. Is the entirety of Canada a vortex of misery?

X8C8ezG.png

I've had a few events in the past, but not since couatl update disables itself above 250/10000.  I flew the BAW275 EGLL KLAS yesterday in the B744 and the flight was perfectly boring.  I have to admit that I did save her enroute more than I normally do.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

Here's yet another crash location. PMDG 777, LFPG - KMSP. I have crashed twice in a row on this route. Latest GSX/Couatl. Restarted couatl before taking off. Is the entirety of Canada a vortex of misery?

X8C8ezG.png

What was your exact route?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

1 minute ago, CaptKornDog said:

What was your exact route?

LGL2B LGL UN502 JSY UN160 LND M142 LESLU DCT MALOT/M082F320 DCT 54N020W 55N030W/M082F340 56N050W DCT HOIST/N0478F360 N604B OMTOL N584B MT DCT SSM J101 GRB EAU9

51 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

LGL2B LGL UN502 JSY UN160 LND M142 LESLU DCT MALOT/M082F320 DCT 54N020W 55N030W/M082F340 56N050W DCT HOIST/N0478F360 N604B OMTOL N584B MT DCT SSM J101 GRB EAU9

Yup right over the danger area at hoist 

I apologise in advance for asking but can you list which addons you are using including orbx and what aircraft where you in. 

Many thanks 

14ppkc-6.png

3 minutes ago, tooting said:

Yup right over the danger area at hoist 

I apologise in advance for asking but can you list which addons you are using including orbx and what aircraft where you in. 

Many thanks 

PMDG 777-300ER
ORBX FTX Global, openLC Euro/NA, Vector, NA - Cali
GSX
ASN
UTLive

3 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

PMDG 777-300ER
ORBX FTX Global, openLC Euro/NA, Vector, NA - Cali
GSX
ASN
UTLive

Ok I use all of those too. Did we eliminate orbx vector?  And all the sec files and flatten files it dumps into the sim? 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png