Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

How bad do I need a camera App?

In P3DV4.3 I have been recently plagued with a series of CTD. Apps I was running at the time were AS2016, Little Nav Map and my camera app. Since fine tuning sliders back didn't seem to fix the problem I suspected the apps. The most recent one installed was my camera app. I will not name the brand so as not to start another ( " My brand is better then your brand ") food fight but it is an older camera I used for years in FSX and seems to work as well in P3D. If I don't use it the program crashes seem to have stopped and I can move my sliders back up to enjoy the visuals LM provided us.

So my sim brethren and sisters, this begs the philosophical question "how necessary is a camera app?" I fly primarily jet liners and the only thing I really miss is the shake and rattle during take off and landing roll.  You can press the space bar and pan around to any view a pilot can see from his seat which is more realistic then any preset camera views. Your neck doesn't stretch and your head doesn't yaw. Well maybe a little. If that's not good enough the default camera views cover about everything you might need a closer look at.

I would enjoy the thoughts of other simmers on this matter as I am looking at the latest on the market just to get that shake rattle and roll back. I would be gambling the money because I can't be sure it wouldn't cause the same issue as the one I am currently using.

What do you think? Do you use a camera or are you fine without one?

Edited by PATCO LCH

Vic green

13 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

how necessary is a camera app?

You are the only one who can answer that question...

I use EZDOK (have the 'other' as well) for several years and I can't/won't go back. But that is my personal experience/opinion.
I can define several custom VC views, for all aircraft basically the same, assign key strokes to it and use a small keypad as controller.

Edited by Egbert Drenth
  • Upvote 1

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

In short... you don't.  But I have to tell you that after using ChasePlane (especially with a cheap X-Box Controller), I'm addicted to it!

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Get ChasePlane and never look back

Matt Wilson

Vote number 3 for Chaseplane. Incredible little program and sooooooooooooooooooooo easy to set up.

Mario Di Lauro

Then there are a few that really don't want a camera program because I don't see a need for it.  I can see almost everything I need to see from the CPT seat, and using a trackball instead of a mouse makes pan/zoom second nature.  It's as simple as you can get, and I like that.

• Like 2

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Then there are a few that really don't want a camera program because I don't see a need for it.  I can see almost everything I need to see from the CPT seat, and using a trackball instead of a mouse makes pan/zoom second nature.  It's as simple as you can get, and I like that.

That from an Air Force Back Seater?  As a Naval back seater, I don't believe you said that!  LOL!!!

I'd have thought you'd have about 14 million displays set up and work all of them like a champ!  😉

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

That from an Air Force Back Seater?  As a Naval back seater, I don't believe you said that!  LOL!!!

I'd have thought you'd have about 14 million displays set up and work all of them like a champ!  😉

LOL Dave, back in the day maybe.  I'm past the point where you want me in the cockpit, just getting the coffee made in the morning without spilling or burning something is an accomplishment. Gotta keep it simple.

Dan Downs KCRP

The main reason for having a camera app is the effect of the the aircraft movement on the pilots point of view. It adds a lot to immersion and once you experience it you won't go back. I don't think you can achieve that without EZCA or Chaseplane. I used EZCA which has a learning curve! I fly X-Plane now with has that pilot point of view movement built in.

EZdok has the best aircraft motion simulation in my opinion. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

cant  go past  chase  plane  ace  for  support

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

What do these programs do?  I've always wondered.  Can I record my take-off and landings and watch them after the flight?

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

6 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

What do these programs do?  I've always wondered.  Can I record my take-off and landings and watch them after the flight?

basically they provide an interface that lets you more easily setup different camera views in the virtual cockpit and external cams. compared to doing it by hand editing text files with lots of numbers you can just kind of nudge around the camera to where it looks perfect...also nice things like sort of smoothly interpolating between views it is much more immersive and feels like you are looking around the cockpit.

they also add extra effects to the camera based on physics like a little shaking when you land or are in turbulence, when you lean into a turn, etc.

i'd recommend just checking out their pages and watch some videos if you're curious. 

personally i love them (i used ezdok for many years, been using chaseplane in recent times) for their simplicity of rapidly setting up a simple group of hotkeys for the views i normally use.. set it up the same way for all planes, reduces a lot of that fumbling around when switching to a type i haven't flown in a while..

they don't really do recording or replays although i think i heard somewhere (probably this forum) that chaseplane may have some functionality like that planned for the future? 

cheers,

-andy crosby

As a diehard TrackIR user I seriously keep thinking what all this camera fuss is about. 😋

43 minutes ago, Rafal said:

As a diehard TrackIR user I seriously keep thinking what all this camera fuss is about. 😋

Well its not in competition with head tracking its used by many in conjunction with. I used TrackIR and EZdok camera  together for years. EZdok enhances TrackIR greatly. This video illustrates TrackIR first without and then with EZdok:

The best way to make video's in P3D is to use the build it Record function. You can then play back the recording and pause and change views at your convenience. Use shadow play to make an MP4 of your playback and then edit it with movie maker. If you want to do anything really fancy you need to buy video editing software.