Sign in to follow this  
greg100o

Using FSUIPC only with Saitek setup for PMDG 737

Hi,

I have done some reading in this forum on using FSUIPC with PMDG , and am interested in purchasing P3D version 4.3. and using PMDG aircraft. I have Saitek yoke, dual throttles, and rudders. P3D does not support dual throttles natively, as stated in their forum.  Hence FSUIPC or some other option  must be used to program dual throttles. I would prefer to use FSUIPC. Given statements by PMDG recommending against using FSUIPC, I am wondering if folks have been successful anyway with a setup just like mine in terms of using FSUIPC to program the combination of input devices I have, including all the buttons, and axes, [throttle axes in particular], Looking at the forum here I could not get an unambiguous feel for the answer. Don't want to invest a lot of money and have it not work.

I am currently using FSX with PMDG 737 without FSUIPC by mapping everything directly in FSX. Very easy.

Thanks,

Greg Clark

Greg Clark

7 minutes ago, greg100o said:

I am wondering if folks have been successful anyway

sure.

PMDG don't recommend it as it can easily screw everything up and may be a pain to find any issues. Also they (of course) don't support any issues that come from using FSUIPC. But as long as you use airplane specific profiles and as long as your are carefull with what you do FSUIPC is an extremely powerfull tool. Though, it's not doing any magic, it just uses what P3D actually already has. Take care and you'll have a lot out of it. 

Two throttle levers are easy to set up btw. But afaik if that's all you want to do you can use P3D for that. 

P3D does not support dual throttles natively, as stated in their forum. 

No idea what you found there...

ZSPl8hw.jpg

2 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

No idea what you found there...

He might be referring to Throttle L and Throttle R. If you set Throttle 1 and Throttle 2, and then load the 744, you only get control of the left side, whereas L and  R would work for both a 744 and a 777. FSUIPC would allow that, however.

Kyle Rodgers

Last year I purchased P3D v4 and this thread that I wrote reviews the problems I ran into which was verified by another user.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=126640

LM never responded with a solution. I never saw it addressed in any of the information released with 4.2 or 4.3 updates. Another forum member suggested using FSUIPC to keep things straight, but I was not interested in pursuing that at the time and had my purchase of P3D refunded. I believe the issue is specific to the way Saitek maps its button numbers  over the Yoke and dual throttles to cause them to overlap which P3d cannot keep straight due its own internal mapping issues with controllers as explained in my post. Maybe that has changed. In a post which I cannot now find Poppet mentioned that dual throttle quadrants cannot be mapped by P3D. I see that I left out the word quadrants above and meant to say dual throttle quadrants.

Greg Clark

Greg Clark

8 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

He might be referring to Throttle L and Throttle R. If you set Throttle 1 and Throttle 2, and then load the 744, you only get control of the left side, whereas L and  R would work for both a 744 and a 777. FSUIPC would allow that, however.

Ah I see. Yes, with FSUIPC one can easily assign engines 3 and 4 to the second hardware throttle. 

But, as mentioned Greg, always use airplane specific profiles. I personally use FSUIPC only to assign my hardware controls as I optimize it for every airplane. So I create profiles named „PMDG 737“, „PMDG 747“, „FSL 320“, „Q400“ and so on. Just make sure this little checkmark is set and the correct profile is shown before you change anything or you will easily run into massive problems as you might change your GLOBAL setup. But as easy as it is to fail with FSUIPC, as easy it is to be resolved: delete the .ini and start from scratch 😂

have fun!

Does anyone know if the reverse axis can be made to work on the NGX in P3D? I'm way from my setup for a while so can't check. I don't remember seeing it in FSX...

Edited by MarkJHarris

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

1 hour ago, MarkJHarris said:

Does anyone know if the reverse axis can be made to work on the NGX in P3D? I'm way from my setup for a while so can't check. I don't remember seeing it in FSX...

With FSUIPC I have it working with all PMDG planes. But as PMDG simulates flight idle with a little bit forward throttle (at least this happens on my sim, Kyle, correct me please if I‘m wrong) I have to force the software throttle to full idle before I can use a second axis for the reversers. 

I had to set a null zone to my hardware CH throttle to avoid any spikes as this would regain control to the throttle. Then I use the throttle axis of my yoke for reverse (through FSUIPC). But due to the mentioned flight idle characteristics I use the first few millimeters of the axis to force the software throttle to idle (it basically sends F1 when it enters the range) and then the axis applies the reversers. Moving the lever back will send F1 again to make sure the reversers are fully stowed so that I can use the throttles again for taxi. 

It sounds complicated but actually it‘s not. I can send a screenshot if you wish, but right now I‘m on my mobile phone...

Thanks for that.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:24 AM, Ephedrin said:

Ah I see. Yes, with FSUIPC one can easily assign engines 3 and 4 to the second hardware throttle. 

But, as mentioned Greg, always use airplane specific profiles. I personally use FSUIPC only to assign my hardware controls as I optimize it for every airplane. So I create profiles named „PMDG 737“, „PMDG 747“, „FSL 320“, „Q400“ and so on. Just make sure this little checkmark is set and the correct profile is shown before you change anything or you will easily run into massive problems as you might change your GLOBAL setup. But as easy as it is to fail with FSUIPC, as easy it is to be resolved: delete the .ini and start from scratch 😂

have fun!

Thanks for this information and the tips One of the other reasons I did not want to use FSUIPC before was that I was using OPUS FSI for my cameras, and it would not work with button assignments done in FSUIPC. Now I am using Chaseplane, which the developer indicates will work fine with assigning cameras to certain buttons through FSUIPC.

Greg Clark

Greg Clark