Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Concorde lift-off

I have a photo I took of Concorde, taking offat Heathrow on route to US in 1997.It is about 20 feet in the air & climbing. Would anyonebe able to tell me the roundabout speed in kts, itwould be doing?Thanks.Peter Sydney Australia

Thanks, Kev.I'd forgotten that 10 to the minus nineteen!Peter Sydney Australia

Thanks Kev & Andrew.It was the shot of a lifetime, to be at Heathrow at that time;see a Concorde drift past on taxi; anticipate it streaking backon take-off; getting the manual-focus right on a telephoto lens;having enough shutter speed on a slow 100 ASA film through windows;using film with 80 meg resolution and actually being able to framethe thing, panning, while it streaked past at 220!It came out clearly, lucky it was a sunny day.For those of you who have not seen one close-up, get yourselfout to Duxford UK! I patted one last year! Lined my eyes up withthe top of the rubber tyres and the fuel tanks!Fantastic! Won't see its like again!Peter Sydney Australia

Guest panda234

Post it! :-)billg

Guest panda234

Nice!billg

I like the way that you lined up the tailfin perfectly with that of the Virgin Atlantic 747 behind it. That must have taken a lot of time and effort to set up :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Good one Chris. As you'd know you need freakish luck to getthe shot, which meets all your own strict criteria.In Oct 1993, I was just coming out of Hampton Court, whena Concorde burst out of the clouds climbing away, banking withtremendous driving thundrous noise - fantastic!Later on the train back to London, I heard the unmistakeableboom as it went through the sound barrier!!Last one I ever saw in flight was in Apr 2002, coming in across Kensington Gardens, London.I was so privileged to see them in flight - so beautiful.Peter Sydney Australia

I will never forgive those responsible for not keeping at least one Concorde in flyable condition.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png