Sign in to follow this  
Howiefly13

Ground textures?

What is the best way to improve the light brown ground textures and what is WED?

Thanks,

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

18 hours ago, Howiefly13 said:

What is the best way to improve the light brown ground textures and what is WED?

Besides editing the textures manually in photoshop or something similar, I don't think there is much you can do about the ground textures. If you are used to ORBX they can look a bit on the dull side, but I actually think they look more like the real world.... But again all a matter of personal taste.

WED is World Editor and is used to edit/build airports. You can use it to build your own with 3rd party models, or you can use the Laminar library and upload it to the gateway for future inclusion in XP. There is bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's actually not that difficult, and it's a good feeling knowing that you are contributing to populating XP 🙂

31 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

It appears that the freeware mesh "HD Global Scenery 4" adds some landclass and, to me, is a must have with XP.  Get it here https://www.alpilotx.net/

It doesn't "add" lanclass, it refines it. More up to date landclass and mesh with a more detailed grid is used. Otherwise it is the same technology as the default mesh/landclass.
And the textures and autogen buildings are the same as in the default sim.

In laymans words: the city/woodland/farmland are better defined, the roads follow more natural trajects, and the mesh (mountains) is more accurate. The base textures are the same, but less repetitive.

• Upvote 1

One thing that might be affecting the look of the ground textures is the default level of atmospheric haze in XP11. Some of us feel it's a bit overdone, and a side effect is the way the color palette for terrain can seem a bit washed out. 

There are various ways to reduce the haze effect. Here's an easy lua script I use for that, and it also makes a few adjustments to sky colors (which can be disabled if you don't like it):

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/41529-real-haze-for-x-plane-11/

Note: this requires FlyWithLua Complete Edition v2.6.5.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thanks a lot for the help guys.  Much appreciated!

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor