Sign in to follow this  
RocketDuck

Taxi and Landing Lights

Hi

I've tried searhing this, but haven't found an answer I could use.

Have anyone else noticed that using dynamic lighting the landing and taxi light hardly iluminates the taxiway? I can see it's working, but I'm really struggling to see where I'm going.

I've seen it both with default and 3rd party aircraft and it's only landing and taxi light. The strobes are almost giving me more light 🙂

I'm guessing there most be somewhere to tweak the settings?

It depends a lot on the scenery and the techniques used by the developer.  The typical payware addon scenery runway, for example, is multiple sheets of textures lying on top of each other.  This old methodology is being replaced by top tier developers using the advanced features in the P3Dv4 SDK.  I notice that the very old and dated FSDT PHNL is absolutely dark with taxi lighting where his newer KSDF is much better.... but still not as good as Flightbeam KMSP.

Dan Downs KCRP

I’ve noticed heading east at SFO my taxi and landing lights disappear from the taxiways and runways when viewed from the cockpit. However turning left or right the lights will shine on the ground again. I haven’t noticed this problem any where else so it maybe just a SFO Bay area issue or SFOHD (flightbeam) 

I haven’t done any trouble shooting yet by one by one illuminating 3rd party scenery.

Im assuming there’s a texture conflict going on there somewhere.

IM

Edited by Iceman2

It's actually mostly on default airports for me, so I would expect it to work. Come to think of it, I might have changed the taxiway/runway textures... I'll try to replace them and see if it helps.

Thanks for all the input guys. Appreciate it. 

I've tested with a couple of airplanes now. The one where I first noticed it was with the Flysimware Lear 35, but it's the same with default airplanes also.

I have an old freeware scenery (EKAH) from Vidan Design, and part of the apron lights up beautifully by the taxi light where the runways are the same issue. So it appears that it indeed have something to do with the ground textures. 

If I'm the only one with the issue, it must be something in my installation... so maybe a clean reinstall of P3D is something to consider.... it just take forever...

The textures are not the only problem, and it is not only you it depends of the Airplane design, there are two ways to represent landing lights / taxi lights:

1) Via Dynamic Lighting, some examples: PMDG 737-800 NGX, B717 from TDFI, New Carenado Airplanes.

2) Via Textures using Emissive Map / Self-Illumination Maps, some examples: DASH-Q from Majestic, some old Carenado Airplanes like the Pilatus PC-12.

If you have problems with any model using the new technique (number 1) it means the developers used too little DL on their configuration making the light too dim, in many cases the effects are compiled inside the Aircraft model so cannot be changed, if in the other hand you have problems with airplanes using the second technique it means the Self-Illumination maps inside the model are not optimal for the simulator causing the issue.

In any case both techniques can only be addressed by the original airplane developer, there is nothing you can do or tweak to make it better.

Regards,
Simbol

Edited by simbol

@simbol, thanks for the detailed answer, that actually makes sense 🙂 Guess I just have to live with it for now.

BTW your AI light addon really gives the simulator the final touch. Any news on your AI Control if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RocketDuck said:

@simbol, thanks for the detailed answer, that actually makes sense 🙂 Guess I just have to live with it for now.

BTW your AI light addon really gives the simulator the final touch. Any news on your AI Control if you don't mind me asking?

I am currently finishing AI Lights Reborn Profesional edition and accordingly all my efforts and resources are dedicated to get this product ready.

Regards,
S.

Thanks for the update, much appreciated. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the Professional edition 👍