Sign in to follow this  
nicboyGS

P3DV4 Add-on File

HI, I'm really confused as there are two places for Add-on.cfg files, have no idea why P3DV4 has two locations for the files, and each of them contains different add-on sceneries.  Can anyone explain how this works, and if it possible to mixed them together manually.  

One is at C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4  

[Package.2]
PATH=J:\Aerosoft\German Airports - Stuttgart Professional
TITLE=German Airports-Stuttgart Professional
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.3]
PATH=H:\Program Files\A2A
TITLE=A2A P3D Add-Ons
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.4]
PATH=J:\Aerosoft\Sim-wings Malaga Professional
TITLE=Sim-wings Malaga Professional
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

another one is at  C:\Users\Laker\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4,

[Package.1]
PATH=J:\FlyTampa\Boston
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.2]
PATH=C:\Users\Laker\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\FsDreamTeam Addon Manager
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.3]
PATH=C:\Users\Laker\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\FsDreamTeam CYVR
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

On my system, the second location is the only one with data.. the first one is empty.

See if you can find a free copy of the Lorby SI addon organizer.

It is a great little package and gives you a complete view of all your installed sceneries.

Bert

If you have two files of this type don't worry, P3D will merge the information from the two files and will load it upon start-up.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

P3d searches both folders for cfg files. The ProgramData subfolder is available to all users of the PC. The Roaming subfolder is specific to a user. In practice there is no difference to the average user, except it determines the priority of each scenery add-on if not explicitly stated in the add-on's add-on.xml file. Just make sure that none of the entries are duplicated between both versions of add-ons.cfg and also scenery.cfg.

Hi,

the difference is simple.

• The add-on.cfg in \AppData\Roaming is rewritten every time you start P3D - it contains those addons that reside in the autodiscovery path \Documents\Prepar3D V4 Add-Ons - which P3D scans automatically for add-on.xml files
  • The add-on.cfg in \ProgramData\ contains those addons, that have been added to P3D with the command line tools. It is static, and will not be rebuilt automatically if you delete it.

You cannot edit those files. For the one in AppData it is pointless, and the other one is only to be changed with the P3D command line tools to install or remove addons.

btw. The [Package.1] entry in the \AppData\ file looks wrong. How did it end up being there?

Edit: to clarify: These "packages" paths point at add-on.xml files. These can reference any type of content, from aircraft to shaders. They are not only sceneries. 

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

Thanks for the info. I figured you would be the person who would really know the distinction between the two file locations.

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but I'd like to know why P3D doesn't recognise an environment variable for the path in the add-on.xml

I've set a custom environment variable called "Addon" who's directory is C:\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

So, when I want to set the path to, let's say C:\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\FlyTampa\TFFR, I just put %Addon%\FlyTampa\TFFR.

Why it doesn't work ?

Edited by AF024

Alf DAGNON - Flight enthusiast

VA France - AF024

2 hours ago, AF024 said:

Why it doesn't work ?

Most likely, because the programmers who made P3D did not add extra logic to query and process environment variables. That doesn't just happen on its own.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI