Sign in to follow this  
GooseAvation

Nvidia Inspector, G-sync, and V-sync help needed

Hello all!

I get good fps in P3D. However, it's never consistent, which is why I'm looking for an fps limiter to limit my fps to around 30-45 because of constant "microstutters" or "long frames." I think this is caused by fps spikes up to 60-70 fps and then drops to 18-25. I am also confused about V-sync settings becuase I have a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor. I am not sure whether to enable v-sync in game, because I have g-sync and without v-sync I get monitor flickering and other issues. How should I limit my fps, should I enable v-sync in Nvidia Inspector? Should I disable v-sync. Nvidia Control Panel settings? In-game limiter? Triple Buffering

Thanks

Goose

Ryzen 7 1700

Asus Crosshair 6 Hero

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2133 Ram

EVGA Geforce GTX 1080ti FTW3

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Asus PG278Q 144hz G-Sync Monitor

I'm interested in this too.  I saw a video on YouTube that if your monitor is G-SYNC capable that you should leave VSync turned off.  I'm far from an expert so I don't really know if that's the right call or not but I'd be interested to hear what more knowledgeable people have to say.  I also don't know if it's something to do with G-SYNC but no matter what I do, if I limit my frames (in game or via NVidia inspector) the game just isn't fluid.  I also get micro stutters, especially while panning around.

Dan

Daniel

I use what is recommended elsewhere: VSYNC and triple buffering inside P3D "on", FPS limited inside P3D to 36 (this is 1/4 of 144Hz) and G-Sync forced off. Simple reason: G-Sync only works from 30FPS upwards and in heavy scenarios, I never have constantly more than 30FPS. On my monitor (DELL S2716DG), it is clearly visible (slight flicker) if G-Sync kicks in, so in scenarios where your FPS flicker between 25 and 35FPS, I get almost constant flickering of the screen, very annoying.

Only other option would be: reduce the settings as such that you get in 99% more than those 30FPS. For me, turning G-Sync off is the better alternative, as I do not want to fly around with such low settings that I achieve 99% above 30FPS.

• Like 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Hi,

Don’t overthink or over complicate things for yourself. I would suggest you start off by deleting your current Prepar3D.cfg file and allow the sim to rebuild a fresh version of the file with default settings known to produce good performance. Also, if you have any installed, I would disable temporarily all your Addons.

You will note from my signature that I too have a G-Sync capable monitor. I run it at 120Hz instead of 144Hz and use Fixed refresh instead of G-Sync for Prepar3D in the NVidia Control Panel. As others have pointed out G-Sync ceases to work at frame rates below 30. In fact I have never found G-Sync to work effectively with Prepar3D at any given frame rate. Far better to lock your frame rate in-sim to 30 or even 24. You can try this with or without VSync but I can’t say I have noted any difference. Turn off FXAA. Use 8xMSAA rather than SSAA. The latter may produce better images but does affect performance. Use AFx16, no reason not to as your 1080Ti will handle it without any impact on performance.

Turn off Dynamic vegetation. Dynamic lighting, on the other hand, works much better in v4.3 but keep the setting fairly low.

If these suggestions produce fluid results for you at the default flight situation, without stuttering and pausing, then SAVE this Display Profile before moving on with your testing. Now you can start to reintroduce your Addons and slowly up your settings, one at a time, until you start to see problems. Use your original working Display Profile as a basis for tweaking your settings to suit other scenarios. SAVE these modified Display Profiles with unique names reminding you when they can be brought into play. 

There is no one-fit-all setup, but the creation of multiple Display Profiles goes a long way towards satisfying each user’s requirements. That’s why this helpful option is built into the sim.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

Set your monitor to 30hz (if possible), disable g sync, set frames to unlimited, enable v sync and tripple buffering in P3d.  

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

Set your monitor to 30hz (if possible), disable g sync, set frames to unlimited, enable v sync and tripple buffering in P3d.  

That only works if you have a monitor capable of 30Hz refresh. The ASUS PG278Q is not one of those monitors.

Regards,

Mike

29 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

That only works if you have a monitor capable of 30Hz refresh. The ASUS PG278Q is not one of those monitors.

Regards,

Mike

Umm Obviously.  That’s why in my first sentence it sais “if possible”

Matt Wilson

Ok, I have found something that works well for me. I limit my FPS in NvidiaInspector to 33.6 and force G-Sync off. (More settings screenshotted below) I turn on V-sync and Triple Buffering on in game and set the fps to unlimited. This gives me perfect smoothness. Thanks guys!

http://prntscr.com/ka7axa

As long as you do not get the famous DXGI error with this, you will be fine. I had to stop using the nVidia Inspector frame limiter due to this. And regarding autogen loading and blurries, using fixed FPS inside P3D also seems to be better for my rig.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

As long as you do not get the famous DXGI error with this, you will be fine. I had to stop using the nVidia Inspector frame limiter due to this. And regarding autogen loading and blurries, using fixed FPS inside P3D also seems to be better for my rig.

ive stuffered with stutters ever since getting a 4k monitor and v4.0. through to 4.3  I was at my complete wits end with it and was thinking of putting it on ebay to get rid of it. Or going to overto xplane

After months and months of trying all different things the oly thing I could do was running it in 30hertz with the horrible laggy mouse issue

Then I tried limiting the FPS with  asus GPU tweak 2 and got the DXGI error with both the fsl 320, qw 787, and pmdg 777 and 744. 

So i ditched that idea.

What so far touch wood has worked its.

1. Monitor at 60 hertz

2. using adative half refresh rate vsync in ndviia control panel

3. Using riva tuner statistic server setting the fps at 30.

4, using a fiber as FFTF 0.18

5,vsync on , Triple buffering off , unlimted frames in the sim setting

Like i said so far so good i have a nice smooth running system at 60 hertz in 4k using  fsl 320, qw 787, and pmdg 777 and 744

but I can tell you i tried every know cominbination of setting known to man,  HT on , HT off,  afftintys, vsync, triple buffering, fibers , vsync on , vsync off , tb on tb off.  The lot.  So I can the feel the pain of everyone else who experinces stutters.

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

How to get G-Sync forced off? I can't find G-sync as an option in the p3d setting.

It’s weird as I run a 4K monitor at 30hz and I honestly can’t tell the difference between the mouse lag at 30 or 60hz. To me it’s indistinguishable. 

The 30hz, unlimited frames, triple buffer on tweak is the golden ticket for me. 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

12 minutes ago, odaber said:

How to get G-Sync forced off? I can't find G-sync as an option in the p3d setting.

This you have to do either via the classic nVidia Control Panel or via nVidia Profile Inspector. Should work both.

Greetings, Chris

2 hours ago, tooting said:

Like i said so far so good i have a nice smooth running system at 60 hertz in 4k using  fsl 320, qw 787, and pmdg 777 and 744

but I can tell you i tried every know cominbination of setting known to man,  HT on , HT off,  afftintys, vsync, triple buffering, fibers , vsync on , vsync off , tb on tb off.  The lot.  So I can the feel the pain of everyone else who experinces stutters.

With an i7 8700K at 5GHz you should not have to experience issues running P3D anymore, especially if you have all cores overclocked!  FS will get very boring as you will only be flying and enjoying all of the learning experiences and looking for more challenges.  I cannot believe how smooth my experiences have been since building my latest system. 

I leave the Nvidia display driver settings at the default and just use the graphics settings built into P3DV4.3.  I was told no one should be using the nvidia inspector with P3D and have never used it since P3DV1.1.  Use the NI only for FSX as that sim still needs a lot of help as Microsoft abandoned further development (see the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for settings).  The added stress one is placing on the rendering of textures when using many devices to try to get the best graphics is not advised.  Tweaks used for FSX should not be used.  If you look at P3D in default mode, you get fast FPS (but the graphics are not all that great).  Yet one can see the settings are letting P3D 'breathe' and allow faster rendering of textures. 

The best graphics tweak for P3D is a system like Pete's and my setup (see my specs in signature).  All you need to do is replace the MB and CPU, about $500 - $600.  A cooler like the Corsair H100i Pro, another $100.  Keep your current video card if above GTX 780.  Go fly and enjoy.  It's great to taxi around FlightBeam's KSFO HD with ASP4, UTLive, and MSE NoCal at 50-60fps. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

With an i7 8700K at 5GHz you should not have to experience issues running P3D anymore, especially if you have all cores overclocked! 

Sadly this is not true for every scenario. At least not if you are a graphics guy like me who still has the dream of using settings as high as possible. Approaching EDDF with the AS Bus, real weather via ActiveSky, REX Clouds, FTX Global, FTX Vector, custom UT2 AI traffic and the current settings I use, I am down to below 20FPS, although I only use 1440p fired by a 8700K@5.0GHz and a 1080Ti along with 32GB of RAM.

Of course, I can switch off vegetation shadow casting and other shadow casting options, take antialiasing down from 4xSSAA to MSAA, reduce the shadow quality a notch and reduce the AI traffic and I am running into my 36FPS limit even on AS EDDF, but then the sim does not look like P3Dv4.x anymore but like FSX.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris