Sign in to follow this  
GooseAvation

Nvidia Inspector, G-sync, and V-sync help needed

Sorry your setup does not allow you satisfaction with high fps.  I do not think maxing out your sliders will give you much satisfaction with the game.  P3D/FSX were never developed for max settings (with addons) and I doubt any of the addons for P3D were developed for max settings.  I am surprised anyone thinks max settings are the optimum for any of the flight simulators.  If it were, then Lockheed could simply have 3 settings, medium, max, and ultimate.  The heck with tweaking for your particular flight and situation.  ASP4 alone can bring a sim to its knees if not properly set up. 

Your signature indicates you are still using v4.2.  V4.3 is free and provides some fixes.  Not sure it fixed performance issues but usually updates do that.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Sorry your setup does not allow you satisfaction with high fps.  I do not think maxing out your sliders will give you much satisfaction with the game.  P3D/FSX were never developed for max settings (with addons) and I doubt any of the addons for P3D were developed for max settings.  I am surprised anyone thinks max settings are the optimum for any of the flight simulators.  If it were, then Lockheed could simply have 3 settings, medium, max, and ultimate.  The heck with tweaking for your particular flight and situation.  ASP4 alone can bring a sim to its knees if not properly set up. 

Your signature indicates you are still using v4.2.  V4.3 is free and provides some fixes.  Not sure it fixed performance issues but usually updates do that.

I coudnt agree more. Tweaking is a thing of the past.Just lower your sliders until you are satisfied with the performance. Is not rocket science. Any additional performance you get on one place... is at the expense of somewhere else. It is a zero-sum game.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jim Young said:

With an i7 8700K at 5GHz you should not have to experience issues running P3D anymore, especially if you have all cores overclocked!  FS will get very boring as you will only be flying and enjoying all of the learning experiences and looking for more challenges.  I cannot believe how smooth my experiences have been since building my latest system. 

I leave the Nvidia display driver settings at the default and just use the graphics settings built into P3DV4.3.  I was told no one should be using the nvidia inspector with P3D and have never used it since P3DV1.1.  Use the NI only for FSX as that sim still needs a lot of help as Microsoft abandoned further development (see the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for settings).  The added stress one is placing on the rendering of textures when using many devices to try to get the best graphics is not advised.  Tweaks used for FSX should not be used.  If you look at P3D in default mode, you get fast FPS (but the graphics are not all that great).  Yet one can see the settings are letting P3D 'breathe' and allow faster rendering of textures. 

The best graphics tweak for P3D is a system like Pete's and my setup (see my specs in signature).  All you need to do is replace the MB and CPU, about $500 - $600.  A cooler like the Corsair H100i Pro, another $100.  Keep your current video card if above GTX 780.  Go fly and enjoy.  It's great to taxi around FlightBeam's KSFO HD with ASP4, UTLive, and MSE NoCal at 50-60fps. 

20 hours ago, AnkH said:

Sadly this is not true for every scenario. At least not if you are a graphics guy like me who still has the dream of using settings as high as possible. Approaching EDDF with the AS Bus, real weather via ActiveSky, REX Clouds, FTX Global, FTX Vector, custom UT2 AI traffic and the current settings I use, I am down to below 20FPS, although I only use 1440p fired by a 8700K@5.0GHz and a 1080Ti along with 32GB of RAM.

Of course, I can switch off vegetation shadow casting and other shadow casting options, take antialiasing down from 4xSSAA to MSAA, reduce the shadow quality a notch and reduce the AI traffic and I am running into my 36FPS limit even on AS EDDF, but then the sim does not look like P3Dv4.x anymore but like FSX.

Ank is right.  for me the kicker was and is 4k.  you have to use 30hertz. unless you try and cap at 30 and use adaptive which can use dxgi error.  theres pages upon pages about it on the LM website.  Popptets cut and paste "delete the shaders" line doesnt work  

14ppkc-6.png

17 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I don't agree to this, let's call it old fashioned, opinion that flight simulators are not developed for max. settings. DCS I use with max. settings and I am very happy that this still provides reasonable frame rates. AF2 is used by most with max settings to really benefit from the good visuals. And of course, other games I also would like to use with max settings. Otherwise I would not have been going for a 8700K with a 1080Ti...

Of course you can modify your settings accordingly that you get whatever frame rate you want, but to what cost? Furthermore, if you insist on using the settings and tweaks, there is absolutely no reason to put a 8700K or 1080Ti in your system, because with the correct settings, you get nice frame rates and smooth gameplay also with a i5 and a 1060. Just with lower settings, no? So, if you recommend a 8700K, maybe higher settings is nevertheless something desirable? Higher but not max. settings? Makes no sense, sorry.

And why do you think that addons are not developed for max. settings? There are even commitments of developers that they turn up settings as much as possible for taking screenshots to advertise their product (ORBX), even if this means a slideshow. Why should they do this, if max. settings is not really intended?

And btw. I use 4.3, just not updating my signature that often...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

OK guys, I've read through the posts and have decided to reset my NI settings to default and to just turn off g-sync in the Nvidia Control Panel. Apparently having an Intel CPU has a big impact on performance in P3D. I have my CPU on 3.95 ghz, so it should be performing decently. Overall, thanks for the help.