Sign in to follow this  
Guest LAX5x5

Is anyone else content with Flight Simulator 2004?

Guest anthonye

Im happy with what I have gotAnthonyUK

but the FS9 engine is still using graphics power circa 2000. This newest version will take advantage of both the GPU and CPU a lot better than FS9 did. This will translate into better framerates

Guest panda234

You might change your mind. Once it comes out you'll have to buy it just to give it a go. It'll be the same price if you wait so why not just try it? Then some new feature or improvement or addon will grab your attention and you won't go back. :-)

Looking back at the transition from FS2002 to FS2004...I remember that I said I would wait to buy FS2004 because of all of the add-ons that I had. In reality, I ordered FS9 online 1 hour after it was released. So much for patience. Once I had it installed, I still flew in FS2002 for about 2 days. Eventually, I started moving the add-ons over - testing what worked and what didn't. After a couple days of testing/installing, I never flew FS2002 again.I'd like to think that I could stick with FS9 for a while until the kinks are worked out of FSX but I know I will be there with my credit card as soon as I can get my hands on a copy of of the new sim.The amount of money that I have invested in FS9 proves only one thing: I am hopelessly addicted to FS and having a new sim sitting of the shelve rather than my HD would be like crack sitting around a crack addict's house.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Actually, I am quite content with FS2004 now. I really shudder to think how much money I've got invested in FS2004 addons (several hundred dollars over almost three years, perhaps close to a thousand, and that's not counting the gigs of freeware I've got installed) and my machine is not strong enough to run FSX all that well, probably. It's only an Athlon XP 2500 with 1 GB of RAM and a Geforce 6600GT. It's got enough trouble running FS2004 sometimes. :)Until I can afford to completely replace this machine with something a lot closer to state-of-the-shelf, and until I know how much of my stuff will still work with FSX, I'll be sticking with FS2004.Lewis "Moose" GregoryRichmond, Virginia

If the code is programmed so that only divided roads have traffic then I don't think it will be possible, even with addons. There are some things the 3rd party guys can't fix. However I hope I am wrong on the traffic. It was mentioned (by tdragger) that trains won't be in FSX, however 3rd party guys will have the opportunity to develop them.

Christian,I am also hapy with FS9. But I expect that FSX will bring improvements. Let us wait when it comes out.What is sure, I will not be the first one to buy it. I need to wait that others "debug" it. I wait for comments. I wait to see if these marvellous add-ups (RCV4, FS Genesis, ActiveSky, Ultimate Terrain, FSKeeper etc...) are compatible or upgradable. I also need to upgrade my PC and I am waiting to know what I really need for FSX. So for the moment I am sitting on the fence looking with curiosity what is going to happen.

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Guest Voodoo

Hello all :-wave,first of all, I wouldn't have imagined to get such a great feedback . Thanks a lot for all those who have shared their opinions so far :).It's interesting to see all the different perspectives each member has concerning the new Flight Simulator, how far does money, hardware, features etc. play a role. By the way, it's nice to have the chance to compare some input of this topic with the results of the survey Avsim just has released. There seem to be quite a few similarities.I am following each news of the new Flight Simulator too and I can't deny that FSX didn't catch my eye nor would I say that I am never going to purchase it, but with all the things I have added to FS2004 and I haven't even explored the whole sim world, my standpoint in a cost-benefit calculation isn't very good :).Moving cars, animals, flyable missions and five seasons, sounds good, but for my kind of flying FS2004 really suites my needs except for the flight physics and weather environment. If there's a major change with FSX in those categories I'll probably move on ;).I am content with FS2004 :(!best regards and excuse my bad english,Christianhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/chrismo/sigsky.jpgVacation: wasted time between 2 flights!

Guest FireChief

I want more details on it first, bt likely I will buy it when it comes out. Every new version in the past has had something worthwhile to offer making upgrading worth the money.Rob

Guest ScottPilot

Since I am not planning on upgrading my computer for some time, I will stick with FS9 and not move to FS X until it goes to the $29.00 price tag someday, just like FS9 is now.I have hundreds of add-ons that most likely will not be compatable with FS X, so until I need to go to a newer computer, I'm not planning on making the switch.I am very happy with FS9 (with the exception of the no true overcast layers) so I will stick with the current version for some time.Scott :-)Gamming System Specs: (Built this one myself)AMD Athlon-64 3000+ (Overclocked to 2.35ghz)Gigabyte K8NS nForce3-250 Chipset 8x AGP Main Board2GB DDR400 PC3200 Memory (400mhz)2 - 160GB 7200 rpm Hard Drives 16x DVD-ROM Audigy 2ZS Gammer Sound Card (Set at FULL acceleration)5.1 Channel Surround Sound SpeakersNvidia Graphic Cards:256MB GeForce-5700 8X AGP Video (Overclocked) with CGA and DVI256MB GeForce-5500 PCI Video (Overclocked)TRI Monitors 2 - 17" CRTS & 1 - 17" LCDCotytech Gaming CaseCH Products Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Throttle QuadrantSaitek Cyborg Gold Joystic for Helo's & Stick equipped aircrafteDimensional Force Feedback HeadsetsSaitek Eclipse KeyboardWindows XP Pro SP2Home Network for using the Instructor StationFS9 Sliders maxed with other settings at their best quality positions.Antalasing: 4XAnistropic Filtering: 4XResolution: 1024 X 768 32bitTexture load speed: 200Average FPS: 25 (Locked at 25)

Because of my current hardware and lack of the Vista OS release I'll be sticking with FS9 for now... I won't do a major upgrade until Vista is release and I can fully enjoy FSX without all the framerate headaches. It would be nice if the XP version of FSX was more hardware friendly for current systems but I doubt that with be the case. Sliders and such will most likely have to be turned down and that's without add-on scenery and planes installed. NO THANK YOU...I'm stuck with FS9 until (at the latest) Spring of 07 I hope... :-hang

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

>Personnally, I'll be very surprised if there is any "huge">performance gain due to DX10. I've heard 8x this and 10x>this. I won't believe it till somebody sees it in FSX. Those>numbers are pure fiction at the moment as there is, as far asI know. It was the same way when DX9 was released. And DX12345678. They all said 'better performance' etc etc. And I remember with at least one of the DX versions, I tested it, and there wasn't any frame rate increase. That was a long time ago now.I think the main advances in DX versions has to do with visuals. In this instance...the new shader model seems to be big. I too am not holding my breath on performance...but if DX10 has anywhere close to the same performance as DX9, it will be a winner...because after all, scenes rendered with DX10 will look better.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Put me in the "wait and see" crowd as well. I just upgraded my hardware recently to get fs9 working at a reasonable level. I'm finally in a "happy place" as far as performance goes. I'd like a lot more, but with my setup I do fairly well. When FS2004 came out, I pre-ordered and had my copy overnighted to my house. While it was great at first, I got bored very quickly due to the lack of addons. I found that fs2002 with a bunch of addons was better than 2004 without any. I'm sure I will get FSX eventually once better hardware is out and numerous addons are available, but when it is released I'll be here listening to others opinions. I won't be one of the trailblazers this year. Of course, when it comes out, I may be tempted to run both. However I hope to avoid that as it never really works out.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I will likely buy FSX soon after it comes out. I am starting a business around FS, so it behooves me to stay up on it.My response to Alex was only attempt to say that perhaps he should tone down what appears to be a high anticipation of a large framerate increase. My past experience tells me that with a product like FS, large increases in performance between versions do not happen. In my opinion, performance remains relatively the same across versions, and it is the visual and feature enhancements that are the major difference.To me FS is more than high framerates.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest LAX5x5

I am with the "will buy FSX and install next to FS9" crowd. I don't think I will be using FSX more than FS9 until I can upgrade my rig and also have Vista running. I also need to have all my essential add-ons running 100% on FSX before I can call it my main sim. Will I ever stop simming with FS9? Maybe in a year or two, but not anytime soon. But who knows? If everything comes together sooner than I expect, I might just automatically jump on FSX and gradually forget about FS9.-Ely