Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

Default (Carenado) Bonanza A36

Tried to take it up the mountains yesterday, took off from KBJC and it would not go higher than 8900 feet, it would struggle and loose torque, stalled on me twice just west of Boulder, am I doing something wrong? I loaded a flight from one the Chicago area airfields and it would fly like a champ. Is there a certain way to fly these in the Rockies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Drumcode

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

How were you setting your mixture, manifold pressure and rpm?

Also, what were your payload and fuel load?

Lastly, what were the weather conditions?

All of these have an affect on a/c performance.

• Upvote 1

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

Did you lean the mixture as you went higher?  FSX/P3D is very sensitive to this..

Also push the H key to turn on carb heat..

• Upvote 1

Bert

I will check the mixture and turn on the carb heat and report back. Thank you, I am only just slowly getting into the GA's and never took A36 this high up.

Edited by Drumcode

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

The default A36 isn't really realistic...  I'd suggest an A2A plane... like the Comanche or Skylane.  Or the Justflight Arrow, or Milviz C310 (so many options)

But what the above posters submitted is correct... probably mixture not set correctly.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, Drumcode said:

I will check the mixture and turn on the carb heat and report back. Thank you, I am only just slowly getting into the GA's and never took A36 this high up.

The carb heat switch is called "Prop De-Ice" in the panel..

If you push the H-key you will see it move..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

9 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

The default A36 isn't really realistic...  I'd suggest an A2A plane... like the Comanche or Skylane.  Or the Justflight Arrow, or Milviz C310 (so many options)

But what the above posters submitted is correct... probably mixture not set correctly.

It's new to me that the Justflight Arrow or the Milviz C310 have corrected the totally wrong FSX/P3D mixture simulation either.

Yup, that sure was it, I've tried all sorts of different mixture settings and all I was able to get out of it was 125kts headed for Steamboat Springs. I think I am going to pick up the Skylane from A2A, thank you for the suggestion.

Jacek G.

Typical Carenado, switch labelled prop de-ice is actually pitot heat! You think LM would've made them fix that though, perhaps they aren't aware.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

6 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Typical Carenado, switch labelled prop de-ice is actually pitot heat! 

Typical Carenado/Alabeo bashing as this statement is plain and simple wrong. Shift-H is pitot heat and the switch moves accordingly.

By default H is carb heat / engine anti-ice. I don't see anything seriously wrong if they tie the prop de-ice to the engine anti-ice,.

@J35OE Because presumably there's an actual carb heat switch in the cockpit that doesn't do anything? And thus the carb heat isn't on when you think it is, so the engine dies and ruins your flight for no obvious reason. I'd call that wrong. Many are probably not aware or use the H shortcut (I myself wasn't until just now).

Prop de-ice is not carb heat or engine anti-ice. Well, unless you're in a Carenado it would seem. There's no excuse for it, it's just shoddy workmanship, it's not complicated and frankly I can't believe anyone is trying to defend it! It'd be like a car with a switch that says "Rear heated window" doing nothing and finding out it's tied to the heated seats instead.

Yes I made a typo earlier, I meant carb heat rather than pitot heat. Carenado have even managed to confuse me 😂

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

On 7/23/2018 at 11:44 PM, Bert Pieke said:

Did you lean the mixture as you went higher?  FSX/P3D is very sensitive to this..

Also push the H key to turn on carb heat..

P3D is not sensitive regarding leaning, it simulates it completely wrong. Don't really know what the problem is here, since the first thing I do when I install or update P3D is to delete all default airplanes 😛

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

4 hours ago, ckyliu said:

1. Because presumably there's an actual carb heat switch in the cockpit that doesn't do anything?

2. And thus the carb heat isn't on when you think it is, so the engine dies and ruins your flight for no obvious reason.

1.Maybe you are talking about a different airplane? I didn't find a carb heat switch, but I wouldn't expect one since this the IO-520 is a fuel injected engine. 

2.So you are experiencing icing conditions and its effects and you aren't even trying the only switch in the cockpit that says 'de-icing'?

1) Ah yes, that infamous FSX oversight; fuel injected but still has carb icing (you'd think LM would've fixed that in P3D by now). Although there is a fairly simple fix that you'd reasonably expect payware developer worth their salt would implement; https://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/3xcu7o/fsx_models_carb_icing_in_fuel_injected_aircraft/ They could even have carb heat on at all times and just increase engine horsepower a little to compensate.

2) In icing conditions, yes I would use prop de-ice. But you don't need icing conditions to get carburettor icing because of the venturi effect, humid moderately warm air is enough (icing conditions are defined as the presence of visible moisture, for GA between +5 and -15c but it varies between aircraft types). Indeed, the aircraft I have flown in reality are not certified for flight into known icing but still come equipped with carb heat. It certainly wouldn't cross my mind to use prop de-ice to resolve carb icing in a fuel injected or water cooled engine! And the symptoms are not the same.

Edited by ckyliu

support1.jpg

You still haven't answered the question where the carb heat switch is in the A36. If you are loosing power in the A36 in FSX/P3D, how do you know if its carb or prop icing? 

So you rather accept the power loss and descend because your 'expected' icing conditions aren't met instead of using anti/de-ice equipment? IRL as well?