Sign in to follow this  

Now that I've tried Vulkan on FS2, am eagerly awaiting its arrival at XP.  100+ fps with everything maxed, smooth as silk - off course not that many addons.

No, I think he is talking about this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Flight_Simulator#msfs2

I admit, I am struggling to get good framerates in Flight Simulator II, but the graphics are quite taxing, so that is not unexpected. After all, the scenery covers the entire US! I have high hopes for Vulcan to alleviate that! 😉

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Janov
  • Like 2

MSFS2, what a beast 🙂

But I think he's referring to Aerofly FS 2, which recently released a beta with Vulkan support. 100fps though on X-Plane with everything maxed out, I don't see that happening any time soon 😪

• Upvote 1

At least I'm hoping for 60fps with 2x4k resolution for VR. After trying various VR headsets, I decided to stick with a normal monitor until that is reliably achievable with most rendering options on the higher end.

XP11 already has the best performance of all the sims taking into consideration what is rendered. I am looking forward to when the Vulkan update is released. I compared openGL and Vulkan in Aerofly FS2 and witnessed with my own eyes a near doubling of the FPS. I heard LR warned not to expect to much in XP re frame rate increases from Vulkan but I am sure it will be a big game changer. Any ideas when this update is coming?

At the Flightsim-Weekend in the Netherlands nov 2017 I got the impression Vulcan is planned in the end of 2018

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

6 hours ago, janbergwall01 said:

Fox Sports 2 - FS2??

IPACS Aerofly FS2.  Their raising the bar may give LR some incentive.

Edited by olderndirt

1 hour ago, Leen3131cs said:

At the Flightsim-Weekend in the Netherlands nov 2017 I got the impression Vulcan is planned in the end of 2018

Yes, is what Laminar has planned, but they stated that it can be delayed since its a huge change in XP core, in the meanwhile 1.30 is around the corner and it brings a lot of changes in shaders and particles.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

23 minutes ago, Leen3131cs said:

I have a GTX980Ti,6GB

Can this card handle Vulkan?

For sure, at least is in the list of nvidia's supported cards for vulkan, as for performance is a big question mark for all of us, but supposedly we are all getting better performance.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Until AFS2 implements autogen, AI and ATC, all performance comparisons, Vulcan or not, are moot.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

With a title like that, I thought you meant the Avro Vulcan. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Whilst I'm sure Aerofly is drop dead pretty, I think a matter of perspective is required here.

For instance,

- How deep is the flight model of both systems?

- How deep is the ai of both sims?

- Do both sims have to draw out the whole world?

-- Alternatively, how much autogen textures and models does each sim need to handle?

- Does each sim have particle effects

- How extensive is the night lighting for each sim?

- How deep are the systems for each aircraft?

Clearly, both sims have their strengths and weaknesses in terms of the depth of their simulation and graphical fidelity.

• Upvote 1

I got interested in Aerofly with Vulkan but wait for Linux now as I've heard the flightmodel etc. to be more like a arcade game. In Aerofly RC I've tried to fly 3D but the flightmodel is completely unrealistic even after downloading this: https://www.aerofly-sim.de/download/download-aeroflyrc7/rc7-pitts-realfeel

But yes the future looks bright, we should be able to leave the flickering DX legacy flightsims behind.