Sign in to follow this  
Deltaair1212

Default ATC stuttering in 4.3

Has anyone here experienced a slight pause right before ATC talks? Or whenever another aircraft responds? I noticed this happening more frequently in 4.3 and my first thought was it must be Editvoicepack XL so I uninstalled the app but I still get that stutter. Could this be an audio driver issue? I don’t really see it as a video driver issue because I’m getting excellent frame rates. 40-60fps on the ground and 60fps at cruise.  My only issue is that annoying pause of my sim whenever ATC says something. 

Yes, @Deltaair1212, I have seen this type behavior ever since the FSX days.  It is so subtle that I just ignore it, but yes, it is there for me as well.  There is probably a discussion about this somewhere here at Avsim.  Do some deep searching.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I've noticed this myself. I've just about written ATC off altogether. Totally unrealistic anyway.

Vic green

7 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I've noticed this myself. I've just about written ATC off altogether. Totally unrealistic anyway.

1 hour ago, dmiannay said:

Yes, @Deltaair1212, I have seen this type behavior ever since the FSX days.  It is so subtle that I just ignore it, but yes, it is there for me as well.  There is probably a discussion about this somewhere here at Avsim.  Do some deep searching.

I found one post on it back in 2017 but that’s about it. Though I do recall it not being as prevalent as it is now in 4.3. I don’t think it was this bad in 4.1 or 4.2. Or it may be just my imagination. I did do a complete fresh install of 4.3 a few days ago and all of my add-ons were freshly installed as well. After that, the atc stuttering is there. 

3 minutes ago, Deltaair1212 said:

Though I do recall it not being as prevalent as it is now in 4.3. I don’t think it was this bad in 4.1 or 4.2. Or it may be just my imagination. I did do a complete fresh install of 4.3 a few days ago and all of my add-ons were freshly installed as well. After that, the atc stuttering is there. 

In my experience, the stutter has been the same as I experienced back in FSX.  I personally haven't noticed any worsening with the move to P3D or in any of the P3Dv4.x releases.  I agree it is a bit annoying, but not significant enough to ruin my personal experience.  I'd like to see it mitigated, though.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

11 hours ago, Deltaair1212 said:

Has anyone here experienced a slight pause right before ATC talks? Or whenever another aircraft responds? I noticed this happening more frequently in 4.3 and my first thought was it must be Editvoicepack XL so I uninstalled the app but I still get that stutter. Could this be an audio driver issue? I don’t really see it as a video driver issue because I’m getting excellent frame rates. 40-60fps on the ground and 60fps at cruise.  My only issue is that annoying pause of my sim whenever ATC says something. 

Are you getting this with all the planes or just in few of them?

Background for my Q: I opened a topic recently in the 737NGX forum and linked also 2 videos. I have a huge 32FPS drop with the NGX compared to 9FPS drop with the FSL and almost none with the CRJ (but due to changes to ATC window).

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

58 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Are you getting this with all the planes or just in few of them?

Background for my Q: I opened a topic recently in the 737NGX forum and linked also 2 videos. I have a huge 32FPS drop with the NGX compared to 9FPS drop with the FSL and almost none with the CRJ (but due to changes to ATC window).

Well to be completely honest, I only fly the Carenado S550 (don’t worry folks I’ve applied almost all of Bert’s fixes so it’s not as broken as those planes usually come out of the shop lol). Do I haven’t tested my issue on another aircraft. I guess I should take a default airplane around the pattern and see if I get the same results.

Yes I too have noticed this since FSX - now in Prepar3D 4.3 I still see it - basically a really slight hesitation in the screen image before an AI aircraft responds to ATC. It doesn't happen every time. I always have assumed its related to some audio files being loaded for the first time in a session, and then later they play from a cache so the delay is not seen. I have no evidence of any type to support my thinking - I just thought that its a possible reason and continued to think that! 🙂