Sign in to follow this  
KL Oo

Intel i9 9900k to hit 5GHZ - Do you have one Rob?!

4 hours ago, lennie said:

Excuse me for butting in, but have been considering a cooler as i am running 85-86c. Would the Corsair H150i fit into my case? Corsair 750? Or can someone tell me how to pick one that fits a case? I have looked on the internet and haven't found a source for sizing. Thanks, and excuse the interruption please.

some picts with my corsair 300D that is supposed to fit the H100I v2 ....lol ...you must also consider the motherboard. LOL

ZjjSzql.jpg

igPYFND.jpg

I can barely fit a coin between the heat block and the ram ....and the 2nd pict shows the radiator 1+ inches through the roof.

Edit: Only top mounted hoses will fit my mobo ....measure twice cut once, right? 🙂

Edited by FunknNasty
added content
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZLA Steve said:

tsk tsk... You say these things, but you don't know what you are talking about. 😉
I'm at 5.1 on mine with lid in tact...

It that was my cpu it would delided and running at 5.3ghz😀

10 hours ago, KL Oo said:

New boards (390) are apparantly coming for the 9 series... however I've read the 9 series will also work with the 370

Thanks guys, bad news, but not unexpected. Supposedly, me as an average user should wait a bit longer and build a completely new machine then.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

18 hours ago, Avidean said:

It that was my cpu it would delided and running at 5.3ghz😀

Rest assured. It's on my list of things to consider.

vcore is 1.31v at 5.1, so I suspect I will hit a voltage wall before I see the temperature ceiling, but overall I am quite content.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

10 hours ago, pmb said:

me as an average user should wait a bit longer and build a completely new machine then.

That would be good plan, within the next 2-3 of months there might be significant change on the hardware front (CPU and GPU).  I think 9xxx for early Q4 and 11xx in Q3.

Cheers, Rob.

Well this all puts me in a bit of a pickle having just received the stuff for my new build including an 8086K. I understand a 9900K/9700K will run on the ASUS Z370 board I also got so with a bios update so should I return the 8086K which is still in its original packaging and wait for the new chips to be released?  This will cost me postage and a re-stoking fee.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

5 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Well this all puts me in a bit of a pickle having just received the stuff for my new build including an 8086K. I understand a 9900K/9700K will run on the ASUS Z370 board I also got so with a bios update so should I return the 8086K which is still in its original packaging and wait for the new chips to be released?  This will cost me postage and a re-stoking fee.

Sounds like a reasonable plan, Bruce.  A minor restocking hit, but a more attractive performance payoff with the 9XXX series CPUs.  With the 9900k you'd have 8 cores and 6 cores for the 9700k.  Rumors are that the 9xxx series may have a soldered IHS (integrated heatspreader) versus the previous inferior thermal compound Intel have been using (link).  This would lend far better cooling capability, hence higher O/C potential.  These are good times on the hardware front.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Like 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

On 7/25/2018 at 10:27 AM, KL Oo said:

Hi All,There are overclocking reports out there of 5.5GHZ being attainable.

5.5  GHz? On all cores? 

Turbo clock of 5GHZ on one of the 8 cores and high 4s on all the others.

One core 5 GHz

Two cores 5 

Four cores 4.8

Six cores 4.7 GHz

Eight cores 4.7 

Edited by martin-w

My 8086 hit 5ghz with 1.325 vcore under 85c underload 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

My 8086 I’m at 5.2 across all cores at 1.30 with highest temp underload in p3d reached 83c. Still can’t run p3d maxed out.  After my most recent upgrade I think I’m good for the next 5 years. This new chip sounds pretty sweet tho. 

Edited by Shylock_35

I7-8086K Delid OC Synced all cores 5.2  Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 SLI CORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB DDR4 3200 Windows 10 Pro 64

PMDG 737NGX

5.5ghz without the VRM overheating and throttling must be some motherboard.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

One thing I am a bit unclear about is how to upgrade the bios on my new Z370 board so it will accept the 9900K/9700K cpus.  Will it post with a 9900/9700 cpu installed and then allow me to flash the bios or would you need to have a Z370 compatible cpu installed before flashing?  Alternatively can you flash the board before installing a cpu?  I would rather not have to return the motherboard as well as the CPU.  These hardware developments including the immanent 1180 are something of a step change and this new build is going to have to serve me for some time so I want to get it right.  Thanks.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

15 hours ago, brucewtb said:

One thing I am a bit unclear about is how to upgrade the bios on my new Z370 board so it will accept the 9900K/9700K cpus.  Will it post with a 9900/9700 cpu installed and then allow me to flash the bios or would you need to have a Z370 compatible cpu installed before flashing?  Alternatively can you flash the board before installing a cpu?  I would rather not have to return the motherboard as well as the CPU.  These hardware developments including the immanent 1180 are something of a step change and this new build is going to have to serve me for some time so I want to get it right.  Thanks.

Bruceb

Bruce - My only experience is with ASUS M/Bs, and yes, you can update the BIOS from a USB without the CPU installed.  There is a feature built in to the board firmware (USB BIOS Flashback) that facilitates flashing the BIOS from a USB stick without having to enter the BIOS or the OS.  I would imagine all the top tier MB manufacturers provide the same capability.

Just wait for your MB manufacturer to release the new BIOS for the 9xxx series CPUs, download the BIOS to a USB drive, then follow the instructions for updating the BIOS.  All this can be done before you install the MB into the case.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Like 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

8 hours ago, dmiannay said:

Bruce - My only experience is with ASUS M/Bs, and yes, you can update the BIOS from a USB without the CPU installed.  There is a feature built in to the board firmware (USB BIOS Flashback) that facilitates flashing the BIOS from a USB stick without having to enter the BIOS or the OS.  I would imagine all the top tier MB manufacturers provide the same capability.

Just wait for your MB manufacturer to release the new BIOS for the 9xxx series CPUs, download the BIOS to a USB drive, then follow the instructions for updating the BIOS.  All this can be done before you install the MB into the case.

Thanks for that tip - very grateful.  I have an ASUS board (Hero Maximus X).

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

I have the same board, so you’re good to go, Bruce. 

Doug Miannay