Sign in to follow this  
KL Oo

Intel i9 9900k to hit 5GHZ - Do you have one Rob?!

Just hope that Intel let the manufactures update the bios unlike the last time i7700k-8600k same pin same socket new motherboard, ASUS said they could update the BIOS to support it INTEL said NO!. 

No need then for the new Z390 boards.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

Just hope that Intel let the manufactures update the bios unlike the last time i7700k-8600k same pin same socket new motherboard, ASUS said they could update the BIOS to support it INTEL said NO!. 

No need then for the new Z390 boards.

Well I guess there is that risk as we are still dealing with rumor and leaks albeit apparently well informed rumor and leaks.  Never the less in this case it does seem backwards compatibility will be supported.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

If the 9 series can’t be delidded because it’s soldered on, doesn’t that make it a lesser prospect for overclocking? From that perspective I’m wondering if the i8700k would be a better option? You can delid and oc and maybe it will have a price drop as the i9 series shows up. 

What do you guys think? I’m considering an upgrade soon.

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

27 minutes ago, Purr said:

If the 9 series can’t be delidded because it’s soldered on, doesn’t that make it a lesser prospect for overclocking? From that perspective I’m wondering if the i8700k would be a better option? You can delid and oc and maybe it will have a price drop as the i9 series shows up. 

Is delidding worth it ? conclusion here says its not

ZORAN

2 hours ago, zmak said:

Is delidding worth it ? conclusion here says its not....

That's too small sample size. Seems like sometimes it's definitely worth it and sometimes not. My expreience has been completely the opposite. Before delid I had my 7700k running at 4.7 Ghz and max temps around 85-90. After delid I can push it to 5.0 Ghz max temps around 80-85.

Edited by Lowryy757
  • Like 1

11700K + GTX 3080 + 32GB RAM

5 hours ago, zmak said:

And of course it's Linus.

His conclusions are wrong, because he performed the procedure incorrectly.  I posted in their forums and told them as much when the video came out.

I made a thorough guide on delidding that's hosted right here at Avsim - it's been in my signature for 6 years.  Sadly, the pics are no longer available (because its that old).

Anyway, delidding works.

Don't believe me?  My 7700k is delidded and runs at 5.2GHz with load temps in the 70s during stress testing on pretty standard water cooling (i.e. not using a chiller).

Still don't believe me?  Do it yourself and measure the before and after temperatures.  Don't do it like Linus did though - you need to use liquid metal and you should not reseal the lid with epoxy, as it is unnecessary and negates one of the primary benefits of delidding (reducing the lid height).

• Like 1

Guru3D.com have just put up a list from ASUS showing the soon to be released Z390 motherboards all 19 of them for the new Intel CPUs.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

11 hours ago, Purr said:

If they use solder you won’t need to delid. That’s the whole point. No crappy thermal compound to replace, 

On 7/27/2018 at 6:43 AM, dmiannay said:

Sounds like a reasonable plan, Bruce.  A minor restocking hit, but a more attractive performance payoff with the 9XXX series CPUs.  With the 9900k you'd have 8 cores and 6 cores for the 9700k.  Rumors are that the 9xxx series may have a soldered IHS (integrated heatspreader) versus the previous inferior thermal compound Intel have been using (link).  This would lend far better cooling capability, hence higher O/C potential.  These are good times on the hardware front.

9700k is 8 core but no HT

2 hours ago, GHarrall said:

If they use solder you won’t need to delid. That’s the whole point. No crappy thermal compound to replace, 

Exactly!

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

So soldering is as effective as using the liquid metal on the ihs then? Good news then to not have to worry about the delidding. 

If HT is not available will that still be superior to an i8700k with fewer cores but the ability to run HT (talking in term of performance specifically with P3D here)? I think I’ve used both HT on and off with my i7 2600k and disnt find one to be particularly better or standing out.

Edited by Purr

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

17 hours ago, Purr said:

Solder has the best thermal conductivity. Desired rather than delidding with liquid metal.

17 hours ago, zmak said:

As Max rightly said. His delidding was garbage, he didn't even use liquid metal.  I also commented on this, on his YouTube channel. Along with many others. 

My 8700K I only reduced temps by just over 10 degrees, but my daughters 7600K dropped 15 degrees. Yes it works, yes it's worth it. Someone on the forum I assisted with the process, dropped 20 degrees.

Where I would "slightly" disagree with Max is in regard to gluing the IHS back on. You can get away with this. I did with one of my delids. A very slight smear of silicone, not enough to increase the height between IHS and die. I notice der8auer glues his back on too. 

Edited by martin-w

8 hours ago, GHarrall said:

9700k is 8 core but no HT

Yes, you're correct, Glenn.  I originally read it on Guru3D, but they since corrected their reporting (link).

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

It's the Internet, so the world will forever be stuck with that video by Linus.  I can't stand to watch how he assaulted that CPU!

12 hours ago, martin-w said:

A very slight smear of silicone, not enough to increase the height between IHS and die. I notice der8auer glues his back on too.

+1  After delidding I grind each IHS to fit the die, leaving about .4mm between the two that is filled with a very small bead of silicone sealer.  If any of the sealer squishes out I know I've applied too much.

Greg