Sign in to follow this  
KL Oo

Intel i9 9900k to hit 5GHZ - Do you have one Rob?!

19 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I can get my current 7900X @ 5Ghz with TitanXP to drop into single digit FPS with the right combination of add-ons and graphics settings, I wouldn't expect a 300% improvement (30 FPS) going from a 7900X @ 5Ghz to 9900K @ 5.8Ghz (assuming it can).  I think an optimistic increase would be around 25% provided the 9900K does overclock well.  Just have to keep chipping away at it.

Cheers, Rob.

We've each got our own performance requirements so I won't presume to say you are wrong.  You need whatever performance you need.  I'm curious what your worst-case scenario is to get such low FPS numbers, though.  I suspect it's just a difference in our sim configuration.  I don't use high levels of AA, for one.  The lowest FPS I ever see in my test case which consists of the NGX taking off from FSDT KJFK and flying towards Manhattan (Drzewiecki Design New York City X v2) with multiple cloud layers via AS 4 P3D, FPS doesn't get that low for me at 4k with basically maxed-out P3D settings.  I haven't run this test in awhile but to the best of my recollection the lowest FPS I saw was in the low-mid teens.  That's on my dedicated flight sim PC with a 7700k @ 5.2GHz, 16GB 3600MHz RAM, and GTX 1070.  I find single threaded performance for most consumer workloads to have regressed with Skylake X compared to mainstream *Lake CPUs, so perhaps that's the difference.  What's your Cinebench r15 single thread score?  I know it's not an analog for FS performance and I don't claim it is, but it would be an easy way to compare our 2 CPUs in a standardized workload.

Edited by TechguyMaxC

5 hours ago, lownslo said:

Best of all IMO soldered IHS appears to be very close to fully confirmed thankfully it's about time.  I thought it would happen out of necessity to meet the needs of TDP in an 8 core part w/ those turbo speeds.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 8/10/2018 at 8:44 PM, shivers9 said:

Well Rob, that sounds pretty hopeful to a guy like me going from a 3770K @ 4.5 and a new GPU coming out soon to finally upgrade my 980TI. I have been holding out for a long time on this upgrade. It should feel as good as getting new socks at Christmas.

I'm about in the same boat as you, this 9900K might be the replacement I've been waiting for my 3770K. Difference is I don't feel the need to replace my GTX1080 anytime soon. Maybe it will happen on the generation next after the 2080.

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

shall buy a 9700k on realease put it in the ASUS Z370 APEX the bios allready exists.

Edited by westman

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:19 PM, shivers9 said:

Wow....when was the last time you guys had a laugh or saw the sun shine. Really....calling people stupid?

Not happy about your derogatory remark which appears to make trouble from nothing. Instead you could have come on to this thread to learn something useful.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, Ted Striker said:

wow....all I was asking out of curiosity is what you found optimal on your system. That response ends my interest in this discussion.

Ted

Still can't answer that for you Ted as I hope you now realise in retrospect.

Look guys - why not head over to Mike's thread where he finds the process rather easy to understand and has some results to report.

The only reason I'm posting is to get the message across which costs time and money so unhelpful comments are not appreciated - sorry.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On 8/11/2018 at 3:10 AM, shivers9 said:

I was reading that this thing was just an iphone game sort of ported over to some flight sims. It is completely gutted of systems, AI, Weather and the a long list. Yes I guess they are playing with some of the newer engines but really come on. If you happen to be 20 or 30 Years old then maybe.

Hi, although this is off-topic, I do think that there’s far too many strange opinions on the Aerofly sim spread by people who have never flown it.

re: completely gutted of systems comment.

Default Aerofly FS2 Airbus A320- almost every button and knob can be interacted with, MCDU allows data entry on most of the main pages. ECAM is functional. FCU works as it should. Airbus features sich as alternate law, alpha floor etc are there. Flight model and fly by wire functionality are very good.

Some features - such as properly modelled fuel system or proper MCDU functionality - are still pending.

The level of systems depth is far, far higher than the default FSX airbus. I fly it using all the standard checklists. Well worth the money for what you get, IMHO, and plenty to offer the most serious of simmers. 

Also, doesn’t need a 9900K to get 120 FPS, though I still want to get one. 😊

RE: the new processors (which was actually what i was meaning to talk about).

- I want one for x-plane and p3D. P3D performance is still pretty rubbish in VR, and x-plane is not much better. Large slider and addon sacrifices required at this point in history (which are still absolutely worth it)

- i think the 9900K will be worth the extra 150 euro for the,hyperthreading and a tiny bit of extra speed.

- solder if confirmed - hurrah! I’d still plan to run it on water.

- looks like early october release, i was about to upgrade last week for,other reasons but this is close enough for me to wait.

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 8/3/2018 at 8:23 AM, Noel said:

This thing just makes me want to lose the fans and submerge it into the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket of water w/ ice cubes:  Could get a good couple of hours out of that maybe!Screen_Shot_2018-08-02_at_3.02.52_PM.jpg

Thats what i run, decent cooler. I’d build with the current version of the Kraken again.

I did have faulty fans, and thought of upgrading them. Ended up just using new standard nzxt ones, though.

re: submersion. Maybe in liquid nitrogen?😊

edit:

was just  reading this from tom;s hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-9000-series-release-specs-pricing,37695.html

sounds like the i7 9700K will have solder, but the i5 version won’t. 

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Hi, although this is off-topic, I do think that there’s far too many strange opinions on the Aerofly sim spread by people who have never flown it.

re: completely gutted of systems comment.

Default Aerofly FS2 Airbus A320- almost every button and knob can be interacted with, MCDU allows data entry on most of the main pages. ECAM is functional. FCU works as it should. Airbus features sich as alternate law, alpha floor etc are there. Flight model and fly by wire functionality are very good.

Some features - such as properly modelled fuel system or proper MCDU functionality - are still pending.

The level of systems depth is far, far higher than the default FSX airbus. I fly it using all the standard checklists. Well worth the money for what you get, IMHO, and plenty to offer the most serious of simmers. 

Hi Robert....Thanks for your opinion. It does sound like we agree on all the things it is missing at this point. I don't do A320s so I can't really say about that.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Soldered IHS is half the reason to upgrade now.  I am happy to have never had to succumb to the silly putty they have been using since my beloved SB-E chip which now 6y later still runs at 4.42Ghz w/ HT enabled on an air cooler day in an day out, w/ a little help from my a/c unit, which as Martin says was hardly necessary.  So it's I7 9700K or I9-9900K.  Beyond HT enabling, and it appears maybe a little better binning, are there any advantages of going the 9900K route? Is their IPC identical when HT is not enabled?

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Overclocking a i7-9700K to 5.3 GHz on air: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/core-i7-9700k-overclocked-to-5-30-ghz-on-air-cooling-(all-cores).html

45 minutes ago, Noel said:

So it's I7 9700K or I9-9900K.  Beyond HT enabling, and it appears maybe a little better binning, are there any advantages of going the 9900K route? Is their IPC identical when HT is not enabled?

It will be what it always is... some folks will see the 9900K as a waste of money, while others will see the 9700K as not enough.  In the end folks will buy what they want...

Greg