Sign in to follow this  
KL Oo

Intel i9 9900k to hit 5GHZ - Do you have one Rob?!

On 9/4/2018 at 5:17 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

If you believe the leaked 3DMark benchmarks (Time Spy - DX12) ... the 9900K at 3.1Ghz was about 20% faster than the 8700K at 3.6Ghz ... engineering samples.  So if that is "real" then that implies additional architectural changes to the CPU beyond just the extra 2 cores.

As soon as I can get one, I'll post a compare form my 8700K, 7900X, and 9900K - still hoping for Oct 1st retail release (assuming Z390 MB's are available).

For anyone building a system "now", it would be a good idea to wait for these new CPUs and GPUs ... if they do meet their "expected" benchmark numbers, you'll get far more performance for the same money spent.  But you will still not be able to "max everything out" with 1001 add-ons in P3D or XP11 ... so if that's one's expectation, then it will NOT be realized, not now and not ever ... I would fear the day we can max everything out because that would mean continued development of our favorite simulators and add-ons would have come to an end.

Cheers, Rob.

🙋‍♂️ Exactly what I'm going to do, @Rob Ainscough

Edited by BimmerCop

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

On 9/5/2018 at 1:17 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

If you believe the leaked 3DMark benchmarks (Time Spy - DX12) ... the 9900K at 3.1Ghz was about 20% faster than the 8700K at 3.6Ghz ... engineering samples.  So if that is "real" then that implies additional architectural changes to the CPU beyond just the extra 2 cores.

As soon as I can get one, I'll post a compare form my 8700K, 7900X, and 9900K - still hoping for Oct 1st retail release (assuming Z390 MB's are available).

For anyone building a system "now", it would be a good idea to wait for these new CPUs and GPUs ... if they do meet their "expected" benchmark numbers, you'll get far more performance for the same money spent.  But you will still not be able to "max everything out" with 1001 add-ons in P3D or XP11 ... so if that's one's expectation, then it will NOT be realized, not now and not ever ... I would fear the day we can max everything out because that would mean continued development of our favorite simulators and add-ons would have come to an end.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

With the new Z390 (I am planning on getting the Asus Maximus XI Hero WiFi), are there any Memory type to avoid ? CL14/16....

Thank you

Greg

too much, too soon....

18 minutes ago, pao said:

are there any Memory type to avoid ?

For memory:

1.  Manufacturers QVL list (example here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/) ... I scan thru a rather long and extensive list of memory modules and I start with "frequency" and "Voltage" and "timing" values ... for example CORSAIR listed at 10-12-12-31 1.35v for CMD16GX4M4B2133C10(Ver3.2 0)(XMP)... this is their DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB DDR 2133Mhz modules.  Great timing, but low frequency and high voltage ... this could be good or bad ... the only way to test is move to higher frequency and see what timing adjustments are needed ... for this particular module I'd guess voltage would stay the same but timings would need to be increased as frequency increases.

2.  Look for the lowest timing and lowest voltage with highest Frequency ... typically as frequency increases 2133, 2666, 2800, 3000, ... 4000+ voltage increases and unfortunately so do timing values.  The timing values are essentially how long the memory waits before it can be refreshed and ready for a data operation.

3.  Installation, very important you're in a clean environment and keep fingers and/or other dirty items away from the pins and the MB slots ... it's best NOT to remove them once installed.  Make sure they click into place with locking pins.

Over the decades I've tried very high end "binned" memory and very low end and something in the middle ... XMP profiles don't always work the best and more often than not I can get very good performance from mid to low end memory modules.  IMHO, high end memory modules are worth their high asking price, one can usually get similar results on the less expensive modules and ignoring the XMP profiles ... but it'll take some experimentation.

Be sure to test memory performance after changes, I use SiSoftware Sandra to do my memory testing, but there are other products.  For example you may increase the frequency from 2800 to 3000 but you've had to increase timing resulting in actually lower overall memory performance.

Cheers, Rob.

Thank you very much Rob 🙂

too much, too soon....