Sign in to follow this  
KL Oo

Intel i9 9900k to hit 5GHZ - Do you have one Rob?!

Hi All,

Understand it's speculation at this point however with a possible release date only 7 days away thought I'd throw the link out there and see what the mood from other simmers was? Details seem to point to a Turbo clock of 5GHZ on one of the 8 cores and high 4s on all the others. There are overclocking reports out there of 5.5GHZ being attainable.

I expect Rob Ainscough will have a comprehensive review up for us in short order!!

I have been putting off a new rig for about 6 months however will be looking to pull the trigger on one of these and the 1180 presuming the rumours are confirmed and we see some concrete details and a possible release date in August!

Edited by KL Oo

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

A lot of cooling power that boy is going to need to hit those values, the i7 8700k can also hit 5GHZ, but needs to be delidded.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

11 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

A lot of cooling power that boy is going to need to hit those values, the i7 8700k can also hit 5GHZ, but needs to be delidded.

I have run my stock 8700k at 5.0GHz with with a Corsair H150i AIO with no problems.  Temps occasionally spike to 85C, but average around 75C when running P3D.  Only reason I don't stay at 5.0GHz is I dislike hearing the fans constantly cycling up and down.  I keep a steady 4.9GHz with barely noticeable fan cycling.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

5 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

I have run my stock 8700k at 5.0GHz with with a Corsair H150i AIO with no problems.  Temps occasionally spike to 85C, but average around 75C when running P3D.  Only reason I don't stay at 5.0GHz is I dislike hearing the fans constantly cycling up and down.  I keep a steady 4.9GHz with barely noticeable fan cycling.

With no delid? thats impressive, i cant get those temps above 4.7, even on summer i have to get down a bit to 4.5 or 4.6, you have a better cooler however.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

1 minute ago, dmarques69 said:

With no delid? thats impressive, i cant get those temps above 4.7, even on summer i have to get down a bit to 4.5 or 4.6, you have a better cooler however.

No doubt there's also variability in CPU thermal compound effectivity.  I may have just been lucky. 

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

i'm planning to get 9900, upgrading from 6700k

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

56 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

No doubt there's also variability in CPU thermal compound effectivity.  I may have just been lucky. 

Hmm i might try pushing my 4770k a littlebit on its finally days.

I have it at 4.7 ht off at 1.25v with PMDG and at 1.315v with fslabs. Temp about 65-75.spikes at 80. 

Worst is GPU. they seem to behave normally below 70c (9700sli)so i use NVI to control fans manually at about 50%

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

47 minutes ago, Johnny19 said:

i'm planning to get 9900, upgrading from 6700k

No one tried the 8086k special edition? 😀

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Oh course I'll get one as soon as available.  But the CPU performance/price point that is a perfect match for Flight sims is the 9700K as it comes without HT and 8 cores (just 8 real cores no fake ones).  The 9900K will be a bargain at $450, but 9700K even cheaper at $350.

Don't forget we also have the 1180's and 1170's and 1160's due out soon (August 22nd is the latest I heard, but I'd suggest Aug/Sept).  It might take a month or two before we'll able to actually get one in retail (depends on BitCoin miners July 27th will be key indicator of where BitCoin is contracts expire by CME).  But I believe nVidia will have preventive measures hardwired into the 1180's that would make them unattractive as compute devices for crypto type processing ... but I'd expect BitCoiners would still buy as many as possible initially until they discover they perform worse than current GPUs for those types of tasks.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Best price/performance most likely:

nVidia 1170Ti
Intel 9700K

Based on the information we have now. Any guestimates on how would i9-9900k perform at a same clockspeed compared to 8700k in p3d.

• Like 1

11700K + GTX 3080 + 32GB RAM

3 hours ago, dmiannay said:
3 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

2 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

https://imgur.com/ivReUJR

no delid, h100 I v2, p3d v4.3 with settings pretty much maxed out -including TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10, mesh 2m. the pict is leaving LAX with AI, over orbx. and using ASN.  ..Oh, and no noise - cooler is chilled by a pair of Noctua NF s12a 120mm fans  ...And there's no AVX offset. 🙂

And to the layman, and in practical P3D terms, the I5 8600K is virtually the same processor as the 8700K -if you're not using hyperthreading ... if one uses it, my 8600k will simply out perform it on all the important levels.

Edited by FunknNasty

29 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

.... as it comes without HT and 8 cores (just 8 real cores no fake ones). 

Cheers, Rob.

huh?  <vbg> 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

But the CPU performance/price point that is a perfect match for Flight sims is the 9700K as it comes without HT and 8 cores (just 8 real cores no fake ones).  The 9900K will be a bargain at $450, but 9700K even cheaper at $350.

A number of different variables go into what is the "perfect match for flight sims", but the most important to me is the max single core clock speed.  Also, some folks actually do make use of HT, and as well some might find the extra 25% of L3 cache worth the extra cost (whatever that may be.. still something else we don't know yet).

Indeed this is looking to be a good time for us simmers... the i9/i7 CPU's and the 11 series nVidia GPU's should make for a strong combo!

Greg