KL Oo

Intel i9 9900k to hit 5GHZ - Do you have one Rob?!

Recommended Posts

wake me up when some says "9700K hits 5.6ghz on air" snore!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

22 minutes ago, pmb said:

Would the 9700K require a new motherboard?

The upcoming 9000 series CPU's will require a Z370 series motherboard with an updated BIOS (that the manufacturers are scrambling to get ready).

HTH,

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, pmb said:

Would the 9700K require a new motherboard? My present one is an Asus Pro Gaming Z170 (see sig) which I think some others are using, too.

Kind regards, Michael

New boards (390) are apparantly coming for the 9 series... however I've read the 9 series will also work with the 370

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

the i7 8700k can also hit 5GHZ, but needs to be delidded.

tsk tsk... You say these things, but you don't know what you are talking about. 😉
I'm at 5.1 on mine with lid in tact...

Edited by ZLA Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZLA Steve said:

tsk tsk... You say these things, but you don't know what you are talking about.
I'm at 5.1 on mine with lid in tact...

Good for you! I already saw a lot of arrogant experts frying there CPU'S, not saying its your case of course!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, lennie said:

Excuse me for butting in, but have been considering a cooler as i am running 85-86c. Would the Corsair H150i fit into my case? Corsair 750? Or can someone tell me how to pick one that fits a case? I have looked on the internet and haven't found a source for sizing. Thanks, and excuse the interruption please.

some picts with my corsair 300D that is supposed to fit the H100I v2 ....lol ...you must also consider the motherboard. LOL

ZjjSzql.jpg

igPYFND.jpg

 

I can barely fit a coin between the heat block and the ram ....and the 2nd pict shows the radiator 1+ inches through the roof.

 

Edit: Only top mounted hoses will fit my mobo ....measure twice cut once, right? 🙂

Edited by FunknNasty
added content
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZLA Steve said:

tsk tsk... You say these things, but you don't know what you are talking about. 😉
I'm at 5.1 on mine with lid in tact...

It that was my cpu it would delided and running at 5.3ghz😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KL Oo said:

New boards (390) are apparantly coming for the 9 series... however I've read the 9 series will also work with the 370

Thanks guys, bad news, but not unexpected. Supposedly, me as an average user should wait a bit longer and build a completely new machine then.

Kind regards, Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Avidean said:

It that was my cpu it would delided and running at 5.3ghz😀

Rest assured. It's on my list of things to consider.

vcore is 1.31v at 5.1, so I suspect I will hit a voltage wall before I see the temperature ceiling, but overall I am quite content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pmb said:

me as an average user should wait a bit longer and build a completely new machine then.

That would be good plan, within the next 2-3 of months there might be significant change on the hardware front (CPU and GPU).  I think 9xxx for early Q4 and 11xx in Q3.

Cheers, Rob.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this all puts me in a bit of a pickle having just received the stuff for my new build including an 8086K. I understand a 9900K/9700K will run on the ASUS Z370 board I also got so with a bios update so should I return the 8086K which is still in its original packaging and wait for the new chips to be released?  This will cost me postage and a re-stoking fee.

Bruceb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Well this all puts me in a bit of a pickle having just received the stuff for my new build including an 8086K. I understand a 9900K/9700K will run on the ASUS Z370 board I also got so with a bios update so should I return the 8086K which is still in its original packaging and wait for the new chips to be released?  This will cost me postage and a re-stoking fee.

Sounds like a reasonable plan, Bruce.  A minor restocking hit, but a more attractive performance payoff with the 9XXX series CPUs.  With the 9900k you'd have 8 cores and 6 cores for the 9700k.  Rumors are that the 9xxx series may have a soldered IHS (integrated heatspreader) versus the previous inferior thermal compound Intel have been using (link).  This would lend far better cooling capability, hence higher O/C potential.  These are good times on the hardware front.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2018 at 10:27 AM, KL Oo said:

Hi All,There are overclocking reports out there of 5.5GHZ being attainable.

 

 

 

5.5  GHz? On all cores? 

 

Quote

Turbo clock of 5GHZ on one of the 8 cores and high 4s on all the others.

 

One core 5 GHz

Two cores 5 

Four cores 4.8

Six cores 4.7 GHz

Eight cores 4.7 

 

 

 

 

Edited by martin-w

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 8086 hit 5ghz with 1.325 vcore under 85c underload 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My 8086 I’m at 5.2 across all cores at 1.30 with highest temp underload in p3d reached 83c. Still can’t run p3d maxed out.  After my most recent upgrade I think I’m good for the next 5 years. This new chip sounds pretty sweet tho. 

Edited by Shylock_35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

5.5ghz without the VRM overheating and throttling must be some motherboard.

Edited by rjfry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I am a bit unclear about is how to upgrade the bios on my new Z370 board so it will accept the 9900K/9700K cpus.  Will it post with a 9900/9700 cpu installed and then allow me to flash the bios or would you need to have a Z370 compatible cpu installed before flashing?  Alternatively can you flash the board before installing a cpu?  I would rather not have to return the motherboard as well as the CPU.  These hardware developments including the immanent 1180 are something of a step change and this new build is going to have to serve me for some time so I want to get it right.  Thanks.

Bruceb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, brucewtb said:

One thing I am a bit unclear about is how to upgrade the bios on my new Z370 board so it will accept the 9900K/9700K cpus.  Will it post with a 9900/9700 cpu installed and then allow me to flash the bios or would you need to have a Z370 compatible cpu installed before flashing?  Alternatively can you flash the board before installing a cpu?  I would rather not have to return the motherboard as well as the CPU.  These hardware developments including the immanent 1180 are something of a step change and this new build is going to have to serve me for some time so I want to get it right.  Thanks.

Bruceb

Bruce - My only experience is with ASUS M/Bs, and yes, you can update the BIOS from a USB without the CPU installed.  There is a feature built in to the board firmware (USB BIOS Flashback) that facilitates flashing the BIOS from a USB stick without having to enter the BIOS or the OS.  I would imagine all the top tier MB manufacturers provide the same capability.

Just wait for your MB manufacturer to release the new BIOS for the 9xxx series CPUs, download the BIOS to a USB drive, then follow the instructions for updating the BIOS.  All this can be done before you install the MB into the case.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dmiannay said:

Bruce - My only experience is with ASUS M/Bs, and yes, you can update the BIOS from a USB without the CPU installed.  There is a feature built in to the board firmware (USB BIOS Flashback) that facilitates flashing the BIOS from a USB stick without having to enter the BIOS or the OS.  I would imagine all the top tier MB manufacturers provide the same capability.

Just wait for your MB manufacturer to release the new BIOS for the 9xxx series CPUs, download the BIOS to a USB drive, then follow the instructions for updating the BIOS.  All this can be done before you install the MB into the case.

Thanks for that tip - very grateful.  I have an ASUS board (Hero Maximus X).

Bruceb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same board, so you’re good to go, Bruce. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just hope that Intel let the manufactures update the bios unlike the last time i7700k-8600k same pin same socket new motherboard, ASUS said they could update the BIOS to support it INTEL said NO!. 

No need then for the new Z390 boards.

Edited by rjfry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rjfry said:

Just hope that Intel let the manufactures update the bios unlike the last time i7700k-8600k same pin same socket new motherboard, ASUS said they could update the BIOS to support it INTEL said NO!. 

No need then for the new Z390 boards.

Well I guess there is that risk as we are still dealing with rumor and leaks albeit apparently well informed rumor and leaks.  Never the less in this case it does seem backwards compatibility will be supported.

Bruceb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the 9 series can’t be delidded because it’s soldered on, doesn’t that make it a lesser prospect for overclocking? From that perspective I’m wondering if the i8700k would be a better option? You can delid and oc and maybe it will have a price drop as the i9 series shows up. 

What do you guys think? I’m considering an upgrade soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Purr said:

If the 9 series can’t be delidded because it’s soldered on, doesn’t that make it a lesser prospect for overclocking? From that perspective I’m wondering if the i8700k would be a better option? You can delid and oc and maybe it will have a price drop as the i9 series shows up. 

What do you guys think? I’m considering an upgrade soon.

 

Is delidding worth it ? conclusion here says its not

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, zmak said:

Is delidding worth it ? conclusion here says its not....

That's too small sample size. Seems like sometimes it's definitely worth it and sometimes not. My expreience has been completely the opposite. Before delid I had my 7700k running at 4.7 Ghz and max temps around 85-90. After delid I can push it to 5.0 Ghz max temps around 80-85.

Edited by Lowryy757
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now