Sign in to follow this  
KL Oo

Intel i9 9900k to hit 5GHZ - Do you have one Rob?!

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

...Noel, this is what you do:

Steve,

I appreciate you explaining that test process. However, for someone with a four core trying to decide whether to get a 6, 8, or 10 core it is not very helpful as they do not yet have the hardware to test. What have you found to be the optimum number cores running with HT and without HT?

Thanks,

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

...Noel, this is what you do:

You know the first process described by P3D is monolithic, running the user input and rendering. (So with HT enabled) it's obvious you need an AM with one of the LPs unallocated on the first core you allocate the sim. Get a scenario loading a few times and measure how long it takes with a stopwatch. Now add pairs of LPs on subsequent cores and each time measure the time loading the same scenario - let it load once at least before a timed run. Eventually the scenario will not load any more quickly no matter how many cores allocated - this is too many. On a pushed overclock drop one or two LPs. on a cool system leave the LPs at that count.

Yes, you set me up w/ an AM to get one LP unallocated for the monolithic process.   Now I'm not the first person in the many year history of multi cores and P3D and surely you've done this experiment previously.  Do you not have an educated guess for where you would think the sweet spot is for a SB-E chip?  

I'll try changing the AM to revert LPs into non-split cores, one core at a time, and see if I can ascertain this issue.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

13 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Steve,

I appreciate you explaining that test process. However, for someone with a four core trying to decide whether to get a 6, 8, or 10 core it is not very helpful as they do not yet have the hardware to test. What have you found to be the optimum number cores running with HT and without HT?

Thanks,

Ted

Yes Ted, yes!  Surely SteveW has an informed opinion about this, and even though it will vary according to each users' demand one should get a sense w/ about how many cores/LPs are optimal.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

41 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Steve,

Thanks,

Ted

A waste of everyone's time guessing - each system is unique, the hardware differences, the monitor differences, the demands and requirements of the user. 

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

Steve,

Thanks,

Ted

These discussions are interesting and I do very much always appreciate guys like Steve who try and teach us dummies about computers.😀 After many years of flight sims I just find that there are so many things that vary, it just makes me kind of skip over that subject when I see AM. For us mortals the idea of sucking that last once of performance out of our systems for the most part don't happen. We just have to live with the best advice I have seen. Buy the biggest, fastest CPU, GPU, Memory and cooling that we can fit into our budget (Lie to your wife if you have to) and then if the house lights dim when you fly into NYC and your system does not crash then you are tuned and tweaked!

Edited by shivers9
Duh

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/270785-noctua-nh-d15-weight

That's why they make retention straps and heavy backplates. It could happen, but like Rob said, who cares about a 0.00002% chance?

I think it's going to happen 100% of the time if the case is jarred hard enough!  Just intuitively I put a strap on mine just because it really LOOKS like the weight of it could tweak things in a bad way.  But alas after almost 6y and moving my PC case now and again, just inside the room, no probleme.   The other possibility is just orient the case flat it's possible to do.

Noel

4 hours ago, SteveW said:

A waste of everyone's time guessing

I understand everyone's system is unique. I was just curious what you found with your system. I assume by your response about guessing that you haven't run the test on your system.

3 hours ago, shivers9 said:

Buy the biggest, fastest CPU, GPU, Memory and cooling that we can fit into our budget

That used to be easy to determine. In these days of multi core CPUs it is not clear that the biggest baddest most expensive 9980X with the most cores is the best for P3D as an 8700K with 6 cores that can clock faster may actually the better way to go. Both Rob and Westman have indicated that the faster clocking CPU may be the best for P3D. I was just curious as to whether Steve had run the tests on his system and what his conclusions were.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

26 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I understand everyone's system is unique. I was just curious what you found with your system. I assume by your response about guessing that you haven't run the test on your system.

That's  stupid Ted.

4 hours ago, shivers9 said:

These discussions are interesting and I do very much always appreciate guys like Steve who try and teach us dummies about computers.😀 After many years of flight sims I just find that there are so many things that vary, it just makes me kind of skip over that subject when I see AM. For us mortals the idea of sucking that last once of performance out of our systems for the most part don't happen. We just have to live with the best advice I have seen. Buy the biggest, fastest CPU, GPU, Memory and cooling that we can fit into our budget (Lie to your wife if you have to) and then if the house lights dim when you fly into NYC and your system does not crash then you are tuned and tweaked!

The fact is that my post was responding to a Q. how many cores do I need? and to do that you do testing which requires an AM or how else could the test be made? So it is that P3D works fine without an AM - we are not discussing that. Seems like it fell on deaf ears.

Edited by SteveW

Wow....when was the last time you guys had a laugh or saw the sun shine. Really....calling people stupid?

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

The fact is that my post was responding to a Q. how many cores do I need? and to do that you do testing...

Well for me, for my next purchase I'm trying to decide between a CPU that offers HT like I9-9900K and one that doesn't like I7-9700K.  Pretty hard to test since I don't have a test bed with those CPUs, just my old SB-E chip.  Or, is it possible 10 or 12 cores would be better than 8, HT or not?  Since I'm not particularly impressed by going from 4.7 to 5.0ghz, a meager +6%, the question is valid for me.  IOW, I still don't buy the argument that less cores for a few more tenths of a gHz makes sense UNLESS there is truly no value in having all channels open for those parallel processes, and indeed this is what we're trying to get at..pre-purchase! 

Edited by Noel

Noel

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

That's  stupid Ted.

wow....all I was asking out of curiosity is what you found optimal on your system. That response ends my interest in this discussion.

Ted

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

Wow....when was the last time you guys had a laugh or saw the sun shine. Really....calling people stupid?

I'm not calling you stupid - I'm saying it would have been stupid to suggest a technique without having tested it myself....

...I read back through all that Ted and it seems pretty clear my agenda was simply to answer your Q. about how to determine the number of cores - I answered courteously and with material worth observing. There's no optimal system here I'm developing so why not accept that I can't answer a plethora of questions like that - I give you  and the other guys the means to find out yourselves.