Sign in to follow this  
riccardo74

Very confused about CPU: Intel or AMD for P3D?

2 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

Please. Hardware will never be totally ""safe""" and will always """require"" some kind of microcode update.

Pa-leaseeeeee.

As a computer hardware engineer, I can say without hesitation or doubt that the security flaws were not a mere bug, and every consumer based technology publication painted it in that same light.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thank you guys for your precious suggestions. I think I will go for Intel, maybe 7700k, but you put in my mind also the i5, cheaper with same performance if well understand.

If I choose the i5 which one and which ram freq, and 1080 could run well with i5?

My actual pc is an i7-920 oc to 3.9ghz and p3d run svery smooth, in normal meteo condition, with medium slider configuration, and I can get 27-40 fps with ngx. But if I fly in severe condition my fps drops down to 11-12. My gtx 670 (pci express 3.0) is setted onto a mobo (asus rampage 2 estreme, pci 2.0). My gpu is blocked by my old cpu. But anyway I can get a good performance related to my old hw. This is why I want to upgrade my system. To improve performanche and have a cpu tha don't bottlenecked the gpu.

I also have 2 ssd for windows 10 and the sim, and 1 velociraptor to, plus also 2hhd.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

5 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Pa-leaseeeeee.

As a computer hardware engineer, I can say without hesitation or doubt that the security flaws were not a mere bug, and every consumer based technology publication painted it in that same light.

Dave:

I'm not challenging you,  just your recommendation.

1 hour ago, riccardo74 said:

Thank you guys for your precious suggestions. I think I will go for Intel, maybe 7700k, but you put in my mind also the i5, cheaper with same performance if well understand.

If I choose the i5 which one and which ram freq, and 1080 could run well with i5?

My actual pc is an i7-920 oc to 3.9ghz and p3d run svery smooth, in normal meteo condition, with medium slider configuration, and I can get 27-40 fps with ngx. But if I fly in severe condition my fps drops down to 11-12. My gtx 670 (pci express 3.0) is setted onto a mobo (asus rampage 2 estreme, pci 2.0). My gpu is blocked by my old cpu. But anyway I can get a good performance related to my old hw. This is why I want to upgrade my system. To improve performanche and have a cpu tha don't bottlenecked the gpu.

I also have 2 ssd for windows 10 and the sim, and 1 velociraptor to, plus also 2hhd.

Wow man ....I don't care what you buy -if it's in the stores it will be a significant performance boost over what you now. Get a six core processor.

I'd recommend the Intel 9700K when it's out (sometime Q4) ... if you can wait.

P3D will make use of all CPU cores HT On or Off, 6 core experiment with HT On/Off, 8 or more cores I'd recommend HT Off.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob, do you refer to upcoming version of p3d 4.x or next level up 5?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

@riccardo74 I use a GTX980 with my i5-2500k Sandybridge (overclocked from 3.3 GHz to 4.5 GHz) without issue, in fact I will sometimes max the GPU whilst the CPU still has plenty of spare capacity. Of course an i7 preferable if you have limitless budget, but I'd take an i5+GTX1080 over an i7+GTX1070 for P3Dv4.

I plan to hang on to my 2500k for a while yet, it's still happy playing the latest games!

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Got just now: i7-7700k+1080 G1 😎

Riccardo

9 hours ago, riccardo74 said:

Hi Rob, do you refer to upcoming version of p3d 4.x or next level up 5?

I can't discuss future P3D beyond what has already been made public.  What is public is that PBR is coming and some changes to "the engine".

As far as CPUs, I'll be buying the 9900K with Z390 MB as soon as available.  But it's likely nVidia will have the 1180/1170/1160 GPUs out before Intel release their 9xxx series.  I'll probably overclock the 9900K to 5.8 Ghz (800Mhz over spec is about average for good stable OC) with an external Koolance water "chiller" setup and some very good RAM and timings to match.

Cheers, Rob.

19 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

Dave:

I'm not challenging you,  just your recommendation.

I understand my friend, and that's how I took it.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

26 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I understand my friend, and that's how I took it.

Thanks man!

......Oh, and I was meaning to say that Silicon Valley was a much better place to when the hardware engineer ruled the day. :-)

Edited by FunknNasty

The first benches on the new i9 8/16 cores supposedly show it trouncing Ryzen  in HT.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 7/27/2018 at 11:22 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

I can't discuss future P3D beyond what has already been made public.  What is public is that PBR is coming and some changes to "the engine".

As far as CPUs, I'll be buying the 9900K with Z390 MB as soon as available.  But it's likely nVidia will have the 1180/1170/1160 GPUs out before Intel release their 9xxx series.  I'll probably overclock the 9900K to 5.8 Ghz (800Mhz over spec is about average for good stable OC) with an external Koolance water "chiller" setup and some very good RAM and timings to match.

Cheers, Rob.

Honest question, Is that just a price thing? Wouldn’t an i9-7980xe with 18 cores outperform  a 9900k with 8 cores? Admittedly the around $450 for the 9900k beats the $1600 list on the 7980, but if one was rebuilding a 6 year old i5 for a updated FS rig with a new CPU and nVidia 2080ti, which way would you go given a ~$3k budget for MB and video card (yeah, there is additional cost for a MB and RAM and power supply if the one I have now doesn’t cut it). Let’s presume a multipurpose system for P3D and X-Plane. I guess what I’m trying to weigh out is trying to hedge on the larger upfront hit for a system that should last longer, rather than doing some incremental updates every couple of years that might weight out more expensive in the long run....

1 hour ago, Peter Clark said:

Wouldn’t an i9-7980xe with 18 cores outperform  a 9900k with 8 cores?

No, there is a point of diminishing returns with core count and P3D V4.x (and most flight sims and/or games).  I don't have a 9900K yet nor a 7980xe, but if a 9900K can operate at 5.5Ghz or higher it will outperform a 7980xe at 4.8Ghz (common for good water cooled solution) when it comes to flight sims and games.

Higher core count is beneficial for applications like Adobe PP or 3DSMask (3D rendering not in real time) where tasks are clearly defined and not dependent on a world clock (aka world physics).

Cheers, Rob.

Hi guys,

I just searched the web if anything changed when it comes to the right CPU for P3D v4. I am currently rebuilding my watercooled rig which is also my main rig on which I 

use P3D. Currently I have the I7 7820X @ 4,5GHz, but I am wondering if changing to a Threadripper or the I9 9900K (although not a big fan of this one) would bring some benefit

to my P3D performance. It is not bad as it is right now, taking in consideration that I use countless third party sceneries and massive AI traffic, but I am also thinking of the

future. 

Using that many third party add-ons and traffic leave me not wanting to stay behind or having to reinstall everything, just because Intel decides to change their entire platform (i.e. socket type)

once again, while AMD already confirmed a while ago that they will keep the current sockets AM4 and TR4 for at least the Ryzen 2 CPUs that are scheduled to launch next year and possibly

even the Ryzen 3 lineup. I think that would give at least some safety for the future, knowing that a new CPU will work on the current MB by just making it compatible via a BIOS update. 

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Mike