I see some very amazing videos stating they were in "4K".  I know 4K  means 4,000, and I suppose it has something to do with screen resolution, but what does it mean with respect to a really sharp video, and how do you get it ???

I search other forums that might be more appropriate for this topic, but didn't see anything more appropriate.

Dave Hinson

Thanks,nas123.  So it just applies to the monitor you use - no special software or FSX settings ?

As noted, 4k refers to the resolution of the display device (monitor, projector, tv, etc.). 

Getting a 4K signal to the display device can also be an issue.  Not all computers can do it, especially laptops and systems using the GPU devices integrated into the motherboard or CPU.  You'll also need a newer HDMI or display port connection between the computer and monitor - older HDMI cables, DVI, and VGA cables can't do it.

Assuming all of the hardware is in place, you might still have to tell your computer to output to the 4k signal.  Windows will try to output at the optimal resolution (i.e. the one that matches your display), but you may have to tell other programs (like FSX, P3d, etc.) to output at the higher resolution. Not having the proper drivers installed could also limit you to a lower (non 4k) resolution.

Scott Easley

Looks like I have to spend some more money to get 4K.  I am now limited to 2K (1920x1080) with Samsung SA300 monitor and GTX660Ti video card.(which I used to think was top of the line)!!

Maybe I'll wait until I can go to P3D.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Dave,

The resolution available in P3D is not actually 4K. That would require a horizontal resolution of 4096 pixels. The actual resolution available is 3840 * 2160. That’s UHD - Ultra High Definition. Four times higher than High Definition - 1920*1080.

People just call it 4K ‘cos it’s easy. 😀

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks, all.  Good information.