Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Missing wing texture fix?

I'm guessing a texture went corrupt or something? Is there a 'verify files' trick or does one have to uninstall the product then reinstall?

Then again maybe its suppose to be like this according to the second picture that I see online?

tZpHhCR.jpg

pmdg_dc6xp_a2a1.jpg

Hi.

I think this is normal  for the AA texture, if you look on the AA fin you will see orange/white , and on the wings the ailerons are orange , so cowls being white looks like it is done to match the fin, not all the aircraft have black paint on outside of eng cowls , there is i problem that as yet to be fixed on the DC6B , that PMDG are aware of , and that is see through u/c bays with gear down looking from below , this is a model issue , not calling a texture for this area on the DC6B only.

Also PMDG require you to sign all posts with your full name , just in case you had forgotten.

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

It would help if you could explain what texture you think is missing?

There are several possible scenarios, but I don't see any errors in your first image.. especially when referencing real American DC-6 photos online.

Also, get out of the habit of pointing directly at the terminal in propeller airline aircraft. FSX loads airliners in parking positions appropriate for modern aircraft, but the Douglas DC-6B is from an era before this was common. Angle it so the passenger door faces the terminal after you load the aircraft, and then make a turn out when you are ready to taxi.

Robert Toten

I have attached a photo of an AAL DC6B that I took in 1956 when I was 12 years old at Knoxville Airport. I hope you are able to see the engine nacelles and the lighter coloured skin coverings, just like in the PMDG model. However, in the real aircraft the inboard engines (#2 and #3) have the lighter texture toward the fuselage, whereas on the outboard engines (#1 and #4) the lighter texture is facing away from the fuselage. On the PMDG model, however,  the lighter coloured portion of the nacelle is away from the fuselage on all four engines.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogbe4i9j7swjij0/DC62.jpg?dl=0

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

1 hour ago, AviatorMan said:

However, in the real aircraft the inboard engines (#2 and #3) have the lighter texture toward the fuselage, whereas on the outboard engines (#1 and #4) the lighter texture is facing away from the fuselage.

Interesting. I wonder why they did it like that. Unless the exhaust side was modified, I think all the exhaust is on the outboard sides (thus the painted areas on that side). Perhaps anti-glare for the passengers?

Kyle Rodgers

3 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Interesting. I wonder why they did it like that. Unless the exhaust side was modified, I think all the exhaust is on the outboard sides (thus the painted areas on that side). Perhaps anti-glare for the passengers?

It's interesting to see how AAL painted these same areas for the DC-7. I was flying on one in 1957 and took a photo out the window. The Engine 1 nacelle is visible, and the painting is on the inboard side. I also post a photo a got online of a DC-7, and it seems that AAL decided for the DC-7 to paint larger areas on both sides of all four nacelles.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sobg170s4bu5wb0/DC7.jpg?dl=0

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjsjti8kcfcAhUOdxoKHRp4AG4QjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.airlineratings.com%2Fnews%2Fhistory-of-the-magnificent-8%2F&psig=AOvVaw1udEFJLevD3sSu4KrwMpVn&ust=1533050805557566

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

This paint appears to me to be a protective element for those areas of the wing and nacelle that are exposed to engine exhaust. AviatorMan (Remember this forum requires full names) in your DC-7 picture it appears that the engine has exhaust stacks on both sides of the nacelle, which is why this protective paint is so widespread.

N90727 is a DC-6, not a DC-6B and may have a different exhaust orientation. We could be seeing lighting illusions with the photograph.

Douglas_DC-6,_American_Airlines_JP636686

N90717 is also a DC-6, but it is incredibly hard to find the right wing of a Douglas DC-6B in American Airlines colors online (likely because that side of the aircraft was not presented to passenger view). Regardless, we can clearly see #4 has paint on the outboard side of the nacelle only (behind the exhaust I suspect)

I believe PMDG's textures are correct.

I've also wondered why Douglas would go through the trouble of making directional exhaust manifold for 4 identical and interchangeable engines... but after a couple days thinking on the matter I suspect exhaust orientation has a noticeable effect on cabin nose levels.

Robert Toten

Edited by randomTOTEN

Hi.

I typed in the following aircraft reg N90726 , and found a picture that confirms PMDG texture is spot on for this aircraft reg , yet a different reg for the same airline had the painted white on the outboards outboard and inboards painted inboard , and some had the painted areas extending onto the flaps top surface and some did not .

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.