Sign in to follow this  
RTK1972

[Resolved] Strobe Speed

Hi Simbol,

what i see with 4.3 is that the strobe ligths of the AI Aircraft flash very fast like they are 5 times faster.

Tried uninstalling and installing again but it did not help.

Any idea ?

Thanks a lot, Carsten

Carsten U

Hi Carsten,

I am not experiencing this issue, neither any member of my BETA team.

Are you sure you are not running P3D using time acceleration? (x2, x4?) Can you post a video?

Kind Regards,
Simbol

1 minute ago, simbol said:

Hi Carsten,

I am not experiencing this issue, neither any member of my BETA team.

Are you sure you are not running P3D using time acceleration? (x2, x4?) Can you post a video?

Kind Regards,
Simbol

no, definatly no time acceleration.. I don't habe any tool nor experience to capture a video, to be honest..

Carsten U

1 minute ago, RTK1972 said:

no, definatly no time acceleration.. I don't habe any tool nor experience to capture a video, to be honest..

Well, the effects haven't changed at all since 4.2 and they behave the same way under 4.3, you sure they don't look like this:

Regards,
Simbol

2 hours ago, RTK1972 said:

Any idea ?

Was your 4.3 a clean install or did you do the client only upgrade?  If you haven't done a clean 4.3 install (removing 6 old dirs prior to install) then you might need to do the Content install of V4.3 also.

Cheers, Rob.

1 minute ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Was your 4.3 a clean install or did you do the client only upgrade?  If you haven't done a clean 4.3 install (removing 6 old dirs prior to install) then you might need to do the Content install of V4.3 also.

Cheers, Rob.

it was only the client Rob. Will try content install later and report back. Thank you so far gents !

Carsten U

After content install, re-install FSReborn and test.

Cheers, Rob.

I believe I found the the culprit:

I too had the same issue as Carsten. It even affected the flyable F-22A I use to get P3D running. Thought I had bad .fx files, etc. Once I realized exactly which .fx file I was dealing with, I decided to do a search in windows explorer to see where else that file may occur. In this example, I searched for fx_strobe.fx .

Well, I found fx_strobe.fx in the expected places: P:\Prepar3D v4\Effects and P:\Tools\AI Lights Reborn Free Edition\AI Lights Effects (my chosen location for AI Lights Reborn). Knowing that AI Lights Reborn's version of fx_strobe.fx is used in "place" of the same file in the P:\Prepar3D v4\Effects folder, I did not worry about the .fx files in the P:\Prepar3D v4\Effects folder. 

But then I found fx_strobe.fx in an unexpected place: P:\AI\P3D4 AI\MAIW\Military AI Works\MAIW_GLOBAL\MAIW_GLOBAL_EFFECTS

Recently I had installed MAIW's Matrix (https://militaryaiworks.com/briefing-room/matrix-release). Matrix uses an addon.xml just like AI Lights Reborn does to add their respective addons to P3DV4. As you can see, MAIW uses a Global Effects folder in their addon. I found I had duplicates of the following in both the AI Lights Reborn and MAIW Global Effects folders:

fx_beacon.fx
fx_beaconb.fx
fx_beaconh.fx
fx_navgre.fx
fx_navgrec.fx
fx_navgreh.fx
fx_navgrem.fx
fx_navred.fx
fx_navredc.fx
fx_navredh.fx
fx_navredm.fx
fx_navwhi.fx
fx_navwhih.fx
fx_strobe.fx
fx_strobeh.fx (and a few FAIB duplicates also)

I moved the duplicates out of P:\AI\P3D4 AI\MAIW\Military AI Works\MAIW_GLOBAL\MAIW_GLOBAL_EFFECTS. I restarted the sim, and the flash rates and the colors were as intended by Prepar3d and Simbol. So in all actuality, P3D was looking for ALL valid/active fx_strobe.fx files. When it found them, it ran both, essentially duplicating the effect or running two same-named effect files that have different flash rates.

Bottom line: look for duplicates across your Prepar3d installation locations. Backup first, then move or rename the duplicates outside of the Prepar3d and AI Reborn effects folders to something like fx_strobe.fxOLD so Prepar3d doesn't try to run it as well. Worked for me!

Hope this may help. By the way, great work Simbol! Well done!

Edited by kc135r.fox
Punctuation
  • Upvote 1

Mark Fox

1 hour ago, kc135r.fox said:

I believe I found the the culprit:

I too had the same issue as Carsten. It even affected the flyable F-22A I use to get P3D running. Thought I had bad .fx files, etc. Once I realized exactly which .fx file I was dealing with, I decided to do a search in windows explorer to see where else that file may occur. In this example, I searched for fx_strobe.fx .

Well, I found fx_strobe.fx in the expected places: P:\Prepar3D v4\Effects and P:\Tools\AI Lights Reborn Free Edition\AI Lights Effects (my chosen location for AI Lights Reborn). Knowing that AI Lights Reborn's version of fx_strobe.fx is used in "place" of the same file in the P:\Prepar3D v4\Effects folder, I did not worry about the .fx files in the P:\Prepar3D v4\Effects folder. 

But then I found fx_strobe.fx in an unexpected place: P:\AI\P3D4 AI\MAIW\Military AI Works\MAIW_GLOBAL\MAIW_GLOBAL_EFFECTS

Recently I had installed MAIW's Matrix (https://militaryaiworks.com/briefing-room/matrix-release). Matrix uses an addon.xml just like AI Lights Reborn does to add their respective addons to P3DV4. As you can see, MAIW uses a Global Effects folder in their addon. I found I had duplicates of the following in both the AI Lights Reborn and MAIW Global Effects folders:

fx_beacon.fx
fx_beaconb.fx
fx_beaconh.fx
fx_navgre.fx
fx_navgrec.fx
fx_navgreh.fx
fx_navgrem.fx
fx_navred.fx
fx_navredc.fx
fx_navredh.fx
fx_navredm.fx
fx_navwhi.fx
fx_navwhih.fx
fx_strobe.fx
fx_strobeh.fx (and a few FAIB duplicates also)

I moved the duplicates out of P:\AI\P3D4 AI\MAIW\Military AI Works\MAIW_GLOBAL\MAIW_GLOBAL_EFFECTS. I restarted the sim, and the flash rates and the colors were as intended by Prepar3d and Simbol. So in all actuality, P3D was looking for ALL valid/active fx_strobe.fx files. When it found them, it ran both, essentially duplicating the effect or running two same-named effect files that have different flash rates.

Bottom line: look for duplicates across your Prepar3d installation locations. Backup first, then move or rename the duplicates outside of the Prepar3d and AI Reborn effects folders to something like fx_strobe.fxOLD so Prepar3d doesn't try to run it as well. Worked for me!

Mark, great finding. Thank you so much, will try it out 🙂

Carsten U

8 hours ago, kc135r.fox said:

Many thanks for this information and your kind words.

I will create a sticky note about this on the forums, however it is worth mentioning that the professional edition (Beta) doesn't suffer from these kind of problems anymore.

All the best,

Simbol