Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
SimonC

Multi-Monitor FPS drop?

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I finally got myself 3 monitors, and have been playing a bit with it. Generally I will use my sim in the middle, with left and right for VATSIM apps, Charts, EFB, browser etc. I also like the idea of being able to span the sim over three screen while not exiting the sim, for instance night-flying/landing. I also understand that I get certain FPS drop / higher GPU usage when spanned over 3 screens.

What I don't understand is, why does FPS abysmally drop when I for instance undock the FSLabs MCDU and drag it onto the other screen? I mean, that's a 2D panel, nothing really. It takes less toll on the system to run the sim in a huge 3x 2560x1440 resolution than to have a measly MCDU separately open?

Edited by SimonC

Share this post


Link to post

SimonC,

I have been trying to find a solution to this since FSX came out.  A partial fix was to stay with FS2004 where I was using up to eight monitors on 3 graphic cards (not sli'd) and still getting 40FPS.  Using 3 monitors in FSX, P3Dv1,v2,v3 made my simming an unacceptable slide show. No one to date has been able, or willing, to show me a viable fix.  

So I will watch this thread avidly to see if you can get a result and I genuinely wish you luck. You may have to buy a similar computer to the US Defence Department Mainframe LOL 

Regards

Tony


Tony Chilcott.

 

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, SimonC said:

Hello,

I finally got myself 3 monitors, and have been playing a bit with it. Generally I will use my sim in the middle, with left and right for VATSIM apps, Charts, EFB, browser etc. I also like the idea of being able to span the sim over three screen while not exiting the sim, for instance night-flying/landing. I also understand that I get certain FPS drop / higher GPU usage when spanned over 3 screens.

What I don't understand is, why does FPS abysmally drop when I for instance undock the FSLabs MCDU and drag it onto the other screen? I mean, that's a 2D panel, nothing really. It takes less toll on the system to run the sim in a huge 3x 2560x1440 resolution than to have a measly MCDU separately open?

Only things I can think of are to offload some of the windows to a client computer driving one of the three monitors and/ or get a really heavy duty gpu.


Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

If you have an old laptop, or purchase a reconditioned one for under $125, I see no reason why the laptop couldn't be the networked client and drive one of the monitors.


Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

SimonC,

I agree with Vp49p3 in that I am quite sure that you could run two monitors with those particular programmes on a networked computer. I think even if you reduced the second computer to 10 FPS it would not really make a significant difference to the displays and would leave your main screen at normal FPS. 

The huge impact on frame rates comes from actually undocking a panel (like a pop up overhead panel) and then moving it to another screen.  Even then, you dont have an impact if you just undock the panel ... it is only when you move it to another screen that you suffer the FPS loss. 

This has always mystified me and I do not know if there is a satisfactory solution which is a pity, because for me, having all those screens active is incredibly immersing.

Good luck again

Tony 


Tony Chilcott.

 

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Share this post


Link to post

Georgio1952

I do not think there is a solution (as has been stated) 

If you, by any chance, have one, can you share it. 

I have even sent an email to LM looking for an answer which remains to this day, unanswered. If I could find a solution, I would very happily be flying XPlane or P3Dv4 with multi monitors instead of saving my pennies to explore VR as an alternative.  I am afraid flying a sim with only one monitor is not terribly immersive for me although I am currently trying to get more involved.

Regards

Tony


Tony Chilcott.

 

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Share this post


Link to post

There are several things you can check. I have fought this issue in the past and the following have helped me solve the FPS drop. 

1. Make sure you are not running overclocking software for your GPU. Even if it is just for fan control. 

2. Turn off vertical sync.

3. Any frame rate limiting software. 

 

Here are some helpful links

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6314&t=126883&start=60

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129530

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Taver

Tim Curtis

Prepar3d v4.3, i7-9700k, 16GB Ram, Nvidia 1080ti 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

SimonC,

I agree with Vp49p3 in that I am quite sure that you could run two monitors with those particular programmes on a networked computer. I think even if you reduced the second computer to 10 FPS it would not really make a significant difference to the displays and would leave your main screen at normal FPS. 

The huge impact on frame rates comes from actually undocking a panel (like a pop up overhead panel) and then moving it to another screen.  Even then, you dont have an impact if you just undock the panel ... it is only when you move it to another screen that you suffer the FPS loss. 

This has always mystified me and I do not know if there is a satisfactory solution which is a pity, because for me, having all those screens active is incredibly immersing.

Good luck again

Tony 

Not so. I have the FPS drop as soon as I undock the panel. I don't even have to move it on the other screen. Moving it around the screens doesn't make the FPS change. The FPS change is merely caused by undocking.

Share this post


Link to post

It's a P3D bug. I reported it twelve months ago, along with many others on the LM forum. It seems no resolution has been forthcoming.


Howard
P3Dv4, Asus Z170-A MB, i7-6700 Skylake @ 4.5ghz, Asus GTX1080ti 11Gb GPU, 16gb RAM@3200Mhz, SSD/1Tb+P3D.v4.4, SSD/500Gb+OS, Western Digital 1Tb HD + Storage, Ocz 750 PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, 2 x 17" Dell @ 1920x1200. PFC Yoke, Warthog throttle system, Saitek combat pedals, Saitek switch and radio panels, VRinsight Boeing 2 MCP.



Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Taver said:

There are several things you can check. I have fought this issue in the past and the following have helped me solve the FPS drop. 

1. Make sure you are not running overclocking software for your GPU. Even if it is just for fan control. 

2. Turn off vertical sync.

3. Any frame rate limiting software. 

 

Here are some helpful links

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6314&t=126883&start=60

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129530

 

 

 

 

 

Nice!!! 😀 Thank you!! I just disabled the NI limiter (I always set it to 30,5, as that is how I get the best smoothness), and voila: 36-37fps with nothing undocked, 34-35fps with *everything* undocked in FSL A320 and moved to left and right screen.

But yeah, actually, damn, because I do like that setting, actually very much. I hate flying without it! It also makes the sim crash if you use "any" driver from Nvidia. There are only some drives that don't cause the DXGI crash with the NI limiter, one of them being 397.64.

There is also a max prerendered frames, I will have to test, if this can replace my 30,5 limiter setting. I usually combine that with 32 locked in the sim.

Only bad thing though, I think I'll now need the 4th screen above the main, solely for the OH panel... 😒

Edited by SimonC

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...