Sign in to follow this  
parachutem

China Airlines Touches Down In Grass at O'Hare (June, 2018)

Plane meets water slide.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

At least they had the sense to go-around. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Could have been a lot worse. That bank to the left probably scared the crap out of the passengers on board.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Intriguing , Thanks for posting , looked up its particulars and the only victim seems to have been a windsock  

China Airlines Boeing 747-400 freighter, registration B-18711

Boeing 747-409F
Owner/operator: China Airlines Cargo
C/n / msn: 30768
Fatalities: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities: 0
Aircraft damage: Minor
Category: Incident
Location: Chicago-O'Hare International Airport, IL (ORD/KORD) -    United States of America 
Phase: Landing
Nature: Cargo
Departure airport: Anchorage-Ted Stevens International Airport, AK (ANC/PANC)
Destination airport: Chicago-O'Hare International Airport, IL (ORD/KORD)
Narrative:

China Airlines Cargo flight CI5148 performed a go-around after touching down in the grass during an attempted landing on runway 10L at Chicago-O'Hare International Airport, Illinois, USA.
The runway was subsequently closed for about 50 minutes and an inspection vehicle reported finding debris on the runway.
Flight 5148 circled and landed safely on runway 09R at 15:20 UTC.

Subsequent Notams stated that the Wind Direction Indicator (WDI) for runway 10L was out of service and an irregular surface was noted on the north side of runway 10L between taxiways DD and N1. The windsock is also located on the grass between DD and N1, north of 10L at a distance of about 1160 meters from the runway threshold and 42 meters to the left of the runway edge.

Best CJ

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

On the 747-400F?

You can see a short sharp bank on go around. The plane looked a bit wobbly and I wonder if the wheels digging into the soft wet ground kind of caused it to warp a tad ..lot of weight there

ZORAN

Looking at the other details on that report the wind around the time of the incident was 070/11 so relatively light with no significant crosswind component to account for any drift to the side of the runway. Furthermore there were no CBs around which makes wind sheer unlikely although the relatively poor visibility and fairly low ceiling may have contributed in some way. On the face of it however it looks like human error (?fatigue) but it would be interesting to read the result of any formal investigation of the incident.

Bill

It was good the pilot got out of the grass and drag on the wheels did not slow the plane down too much.  I am sure he was quite embarrassed and appreciating the good karma he must have gathered over his life.  Close one!

John

That was just awful on many levels

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, Chuck_Jodry-VJPL said:

eonly victim seems to have been a windsock  

I'm going to miss that windsock, I used it a lot. 🙂

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Great job on pilots immediately realizing the mistake and went to go around.  The crew was alert and following established protocols.  Very cool to see.  Scary for sure but following right procedures.  

Did this happen b/c pilot usally turn off Autopilot on ILS landing near 500 ft above runway (When do pilots use full autoland?...so much to learn on my end here...) and I am assuming weather had its role to play? 

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Not a lot to say about this except the crew missed a 150 foot wide runway and almost wiped out half a dozen aircraft taxing on the parallel taxiway.  The weather was pretty good with 500/3 and the wind pretty much down the runway.  

Edited by Bluestar
spelling
  • Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

On 7/28/2018 at 4:13 PM, zmak said:

You can see a short sharp bank on go around. The plane looked a bit wobbly and I wonder if the wheels digging into the soft wet ground kind of caused it to warp a tad ..lot of weight there

Kevin's point was, that the "F" tells you that it was a freighter, ie there would be no passengers on board.

Edited by nealmac

Best regards,

Neal McCullough